• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

technical degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Alright, I'm going to lay ALL of the academics out for you. NROTC (Scholarhip Mids) requires midshipmen to take 2 sems of calc based physics, 2 sems of calc, 2 semesters of english (or some equivalent at your respective school, for example, english 103 at purdue counts for english 101 and 102), 1 semester of military history (this can be a policitcal science or history course that your unit approves), and 1 semester of computer technology (your unit will specify what courses are acceptable). The calc and physics are really the only tough ones. By the way, I did some research on how much your major counts for your service selection, it is 6% of the score with engineering get 100% of the allotted points, tech 85%, and liberal arts 75%. Your actualy GPA will count for 27% percent of your selection score, so no matter what your major is, you better do your best! Hope that helps.

Nozeman

PhatFarmer35

Thank you all for replying.

If I was applying for BDCP would Professional Aeronautics be considered a technical degree? Meaning I would be able to apply during my sophmore year?

The Air Force officer recruiter I talked to said no, but it looks like on the website rabe0030 gave, that at least in the Navy something like Professional Aeronautics would be considered technical.

Thank you again for replying.

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
PhatFarmer,
Where are you planning on attending school, ERAU? Are you planning on attending this fall?
CJF

PhatFarmer35

cjettaf:

Right now I was looking more at enlisting in the military first before going to college. I graduate high school in June 2005, so when I would start college classes around 2009. ERAU is one of my main choices. Dowling College, University of North Dakota and Jacksonville University are a few other colleges I was looking at.

Thank you for replying.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys might want to double check the Aeronautical Science being a technical major. My gut feeling is that it's not.

As for the Calc and Physics, make sure you take it regardless of whether you are on scholarship or not. It may or may not open doors down the road, but it quite possibly may close doors if you choose not to take those classes.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
This might clear things up...I ripped this from the Navy's "General Officer" info site.

(1) Non-Technical Degrees include: Accounting, Advertising, Agriculture, Agronomy, Anatomy, Animal Husbandry, Anthropology, Archeology, Banking/Finance, Biological Sciences, Botany, Business Administration, Computer-Related Business Administration (M&IS), Dentistry, Economics, Education, Entomology, Environmental Science, Fine Arts, Foreign Affairs, Forestry, Genetics, Geography, Geology/Geological Engineering, History, Horticulture, Industrial Arts, International Relations, Journalism, Languages, Law, Liberal Arts, Library Science, Literature, Management, Marine Biology, Marketing, Medicine/Medical Science, Microbiology, Nautical/Naval Science, Nursing, Optometry, Osteopathy, Pathology, Personnel Administration, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Philosophy, Phys. Ed, Physiology, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration, Public Health, Social Sciences, Social Work, Theology, Veterinary Science, Zoology.

(2) For Technical Degrees: Generally, should have taken or be scheduled to take Calculus and Physics prior to graduation. Technical Degrees include: all Engineering, Architecture, Aeronautics, Operations Research/Systems Analysis/Operations Analysis, Meteorology/Climatology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Metallurgy, Mathematics, Computer Science (Math Oriented), Physics, Astronomy, Physical Sciences, and Statistics.

PhatFarmer35

At first I didn't think Aeronautical Science would be a technical major but then I saw the website that Thisguy is talking about and now I'm hoping that it is a technical major.

When they say "aeronautics" are they refering to pretty much all aviation related majors? I know the name of the major is different depending on which college you go to.

Also, do either of you know where I could find out for sure if Aeronautical Science is a technical major?

Thank you for replying.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Here's a good guideline, if your major requires 2 or 3 units of calc, as well as calc-based physics, it's a technical major. I know you may not think it, but a major like meteorology requires Physics: mechanics, elec & magnetism, and thermo, as well as higher math courses like differential equations. Also, chemistry requires the same physics as well as linear algebra. If your major is packed with that stuff, you're OK. Check out what courses are prescribed for the major in question.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's why I don't think Aeronautical Science is a tech major. It doesn't require a lot of that technical math and science.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Aero Sci is basically a degree to prepare someone to be a pilot, here are some of ERAU's 1st year requirements for Aero Sci:

Communication Theory and Skills* 9 hours
Lower-level Humanities* 3
Lower-level Social Science * 6
Upper-level Humanities or
Social Sciences* 3
Computer Science Elective *3
Management Elective* 3
MA 111 College Mathematics for Aviation I, 3
MA 112 College Mathematics for Aviation II, 3
PS 103 Technical Physics I with Laboratory, 3
PS 104 Technical Physics II with Laboratory, 3

That looks like a pretty soft schedule, tech phys smells like non-calc based phyics.

I don't know why it was listed as a technical degree, but I think we can stop speculating and safely say it isn't a technical degree

Status
Not open for further replies.