• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

technical degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

Hello:

I've heard a lot about the benefit of having a technical degree over a non-technical degree. I was just currious which majors are considered technical majors. I'm assuming all engineering majors are, but what others are there?

Thank you for replying.

erabe07

According to the official Navy Recruiting Orientation Unit website located at: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru and more specifically http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm technical degrees are:

(2) For Technical Degrees: Generally, should have taken or be scheduled to take Calculus and Physics prior to graduation. Technical Degrees include: all Engineering, Architecture, Aeronautics, Operations Research/Systems Analysis/Operations Analysis, Meteorology/Climatology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Metallurgy, Mathematics, Computer Science (Math Oriented), Physics, Astronomy, Physical Sciences, and Statistics.

Hope this is what you were looking for

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

I wanted to major something like Aeronautical Science at ERAU. I know at different colleges the name of the major is different (Aviation Science, Professional Aeronautics, Commercial Aviation, ECT). Would all those aviation majors be considered technical majors in the curriclum included calculus and physics?

Thank you again for replying.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, they'd all be considered as technical degrees. In the grand scheme of things though, the technical degrees don't really get you ahead as far as getting picked up for pilot goes. Your degree doesn't really matter in NROTC.

Noze

snizo

Supply Officer
When weighting people for 'priority' to get service selection, your major is considered. People with technical majors are given (some) preference. They are currently considering increasing the weight to push people to have technical majors even more.

(So yes your major does, in fact, matter)

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm sure there's someone on here that can tell you what the official navy weighting is for things like GPA, degree, military aptitude, etc. Gouge is that its been updated to more heavily weight the major. It used to be that the most heavily weighted factor was academic GPA, so regardless of what major you pick, make sure you get good grades.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Going from my memory, the portion of the selection process that deals with your major goes as follows. Your major matters for about 7% (don't hold me to that) of your total points. The points for this part are distributed based on the type of degree you have. Engineering gets 100% of the points, technology gets 85% I think, and Liberal Arts gets 75%. I'm not sure where things like physics and chemistry fall, but I'd think it would be under technology, at least worth more than a liberal arts degree. The best source for all of this would be an NROTC unit. So, PhatFarmer, I'd suggest getting in touch with Embry Riddle's NROTC unit and talk to their staff. They can give you real figures and weighting for the selection process. Hope that helps.

Nozeman

PhatFarmer35

Thank you all for replying.

I had another question about technical majors.

Say I was majoring in aviation science, but did not take calculus or physics, would it still be considered a technical major?

Or if I majored in something like International Studies and took calculus and physics classes would it become a technical major?

I know these are kind of werid questions but thank you for replying.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
PhatPharmer,

If you plan on being a scholarship student, you will be REQUIRED to take calculus AND physics anyways. I'd plan on including them in your plan of study. I am a political science major and had to take a year of technical calculus and I am working on my YEAR of calculus based (engineering) physics...a REAL pain.

Nozeman

erabe07

It shouldn't matter as long as you pass and your cumulative GPA remains high enough to stay within its bounds. I'm in the BDCP and I need to keep a GPA over 2.7, I'm sure ROTC has a limit as well. If you haven't been accepted yet you need to keep the cumulative GPA high for the application process. To my knowledge they don't look at individual grades on your transcript.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I think for calc and physics you have to get at least a D (at least at my unit). But rememeber you have to make a good GPA, so I'd go for at least a C in those subjects.

Pags

N/A
pilot
First off, you have to spell physics correctly. :)

But you have to pass them within your school and unit's academic standards. Like others have already said, passing them with a D doesn't help your GPA, which is the largest contributor to the selection process.

Status
Not open for further replies.