• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Teaching gun safety in public schools

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I agree, hopefully this will not become a political debate. Unfortunately it probably will be. But, this is a good start. Virginia is passing a lot of good (read pro gun) legislature this time around. It is a very welcoming sight.

If this goes well hopefully some more states will take notice and follow suit.

beaverslayer

pilot
Young kids + schools + guns = not a CHANCE that the politics will get left out. Just saying. I think this is a great idea, but it inevitably will get lost under miles of red tape. Hopefully one of these days all those parents "up in arms over the new law" will realize that teaching gun safety habits at a young age is a great way to keep their kids safe.

H60Gunner

Contributor
That is a great program. They teach the Eddie Eagle program in our local schools and I think it's great. I can teach weapons safety to my kids all day long but that doesn't cover other peoples kids. I always say to people who lock their shit up to keep little ones safe, "do you know if your kids best friends Dad locks his guns up too"? If no, then you had better start educating your kids now.

m26

Contributor
I just recently started shooting, and as someone who had never seen a gun not strapped to a police officer or in a museum display case I can get behind this law. I don't necessarily think we need kids spending 4 hrs a week on this, but I don't think that's the proposal. [The article said the schools must use the VA curriculum, but I didn't see what the proposed curriculum is.]

Hopefully one of these days all those parents "up in arms over the new law" will realize that teaching gun safety habits at a young age is a great way to keep their kids safe.

This comment got me thinking. What if you're a gun-controlling hippy parent, so you think your kid shouldn't ever need to know, since s/he'll never come into contact with a gun. How is that different from the argument from parents that think their kid shouldn't learn sex safety, since their special little one will never come into contact with the opposite sex?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This comment got me thinking. What if you're a gun-controlling hippy parent, so you think your kid shouldn't ever need to know, since s/he'll never come into contact with a gun. How is that different from the argument from parents that think their kid shouldn't learn sex safety, since their special little one will never come into contact with the opposite sex?
Both are ridiculous and childish ways of thinking, which happen to come from opposite sides of the political spectrum, and thus prove that there are indeed morons everywhere. Why do you ask?

m26

Contributor
Maybe I'm just looking at it from the point of view of the ideologues. Obviously from a rational point of view you are right, but what are the odds this stays a logical debate based on facts and reason?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It's not just leftist special interests and whacks that are going to protest this. Why? Because it's another case of the parent ceding the responsibility for the rearing of a socially responsible child to the government yet again. That shouldn't sit well at all with the social conservative.

The issue is somewhat less obscured than sex education since despite some seriously antigun folks out there there are significantly fewer taboos associated with gun ownership and handling than genital ownership and handling.

I don't even want the government teaching my boy civics and history. Why in hell would I trust them to make sure the neighbor boy knew how in hell to handle a gun?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It's not just leftist special interests and whacks that are going to protest this. Why? Because it's another case of the parent ceding the responsibility for the rearing of a socially responsible child to the government yet again. That shouldn't sit well at all with the social conservative.

The issue is somewhat less obscured than sex education since despite some seriously antigun folks out there there are significantly fewer taboos associated with gun ownership and handling than genital ownership and handling.

I don't even want the government teaching my boy civics and history. Why in hell would I trust them to make sure the neighbor boy knew how in hell to handle a gun?

The fact is that children today learn a lot about society and life from their teachers in school. I can guarantee that teachers teach their students to look both ways, not talk to strangers, to not hit or harm others (keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself). All of those things are safety related, so why not teach them about gun safety?

For reference, the Eddie Eagle program doesn't bring in guns and have the children physically hold them. The program teaches the children what guns are, that they are dangerous, and if they see one without an adult around to not touch it and to go find an adult.

incubus852

pilot
must be nice to live in a world where their isn't a massive underfunding of public education in general and the economy didn't nearly collapse because people financially overextended themselves...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Teaching gun safety, fine, but why mandate that it incorporate NRA guidelines? Why can't they come up with their own? Requiring a politically divisive organization to help make the curriculum seems to invite controversy.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Why reinvent the wheel? The NRA's already done the legwork of writing the syllabus and curriculum.