• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Teaching gun safety in public schools

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Teaching gun safety, fine, but why mandate that it incorporate NRA guidelines? Why can't they come up with their own? Requiring a politically divisive organization to help make the curriculum seems to invite controversy.

That's the thing about Eddie Eagle, the program never talks about the NRA or in anyway associates itself with the NRA during the presentations. Yes, it is a creation of the NRA, but at no time does it push anything NRA related. The whole program is designed for elementary age schoolkids and doesn't teach them how to properly handle a weapon or teach them the four rules of gun handling, it simply teaches what the kids should do if they ever see a gun (don't touch, go get an adult).

Unfortunately, some people will see that it's an NRA program and will automatically think about the politics of it all, even though Eddie Eagle is probably as non-partisan as it comes.

Like I was saying, I'm pretty familiar with the program and it's probably one of the best out the for little kids.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why reinvent the wheel? The NRA's already done the legwork of writing the syllabus and curriculum.

Who is to say that it can't be improved on?

I just find it a bit odd that a piece of legislation like this mandates that it use a particular organization's material, why not let the state department of education figure out what is best? That is their job. Like I said, it seems to welcome controversy with that particular mandate.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Who is to say that it can't be improved on?

I just find it a bit odd that a piece of legislation like this mandates that it use a particular organization's material, why not let the state department of education figure out what is best? That is their job. Like I said, it seems to welcome controversy with that particular mandate.
Yeah like all the states have done a fine job with that so far with curriculum in general.