• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS Pass/Fail

Sennin

Sucker free since OH 3
Hello there. I love this place, thank you all who contribute and keep it the most informative place on the web for information that is otherwise hard as hell to get.

I'm new. And old...new to the forum and 29 years old hoping like hell to get an age waiver. I got caught up in the private sector for WAY too long.

I have a lot of boxes to check before I even would have the honor of attending TBS, but was wondering...

What is the pass/fail criteria of TBS? Can they essentially wash you out at their pleasure? Do they nuke the bottom 10%? Is there a thread that already discusses this directly? Very sorry if I missed it.

I am concerned that if I recieve an offer for a flight contract, and pass OCS, what are the chances that one can fail out of TBS and be busted out of the flight contract?

Thanks, and sorry if its redundant.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
There is very little attrition at TBS. OCS= screen and evaluate. TBS = Teach you how to be an Officer of Marines...while being evaluated.

Look, if you're not dumb as a sack of rocks you'll probably be just fine. Remember, you're a commissioned officer at TBS, you can't be just 'washed out'.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Exactly. I wouldn't worry about it. A very tiny percentage of people get their commissions taken away for failure in the TBS syllabus. You'll get recycled several times until you demonstrate mastery of the learning objctives before they even talk about taking away your commission.

The ones that do get dismissed are the guys with unofficer like qualities like trouble with the law and drug use (although I didn't take a urinalysis the WHOLE TIME there).

yodaears

pilot
The CO of TBS can only recommend that a commission be revoked (that being said, his recommendation is going to be taken VERY seriously). The actual act of revoking a commission as an officer in the US Military is a VERY big deal. While anyone in the chain of command can recommend that a commission be revoked it is only our civilian overseers that can actually make that happen.

As was mentioned earlier, it is not the mission of TBS to weed out the weak; that should have been done at OCS. As for those that slip through, they will probably get through TBS and continue out to the fleet where matters will take care of themselves.

Sennin

Sucker free since OH 3
Awes

Wow, thank you very much. Wonderful concise information in no time at all...on a monday morning even.

Much respect.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I have friend who had to go through TBS twice. He is a good guy and it had nothing to do with inappropriate behavior or being a dirt bag. Just wasn't ready to lead Marines from what I understand.

torpedo0126

What are the physical demands of TBS? I am considering putting a package in for an interservice transfer. While I am not in bad shape at all, I have done the O-Course only once and some buddy rushes during my freshman year of college.

I guess it would be even harder to fail out if you had wings? No?

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
^
Physically, TBS is not as bad as OCS. However, there are some very physical aspects to TBS (hikes, MCMAP, double O-course, E-Course). And those buddy rushes you did freshman year, do those for about a mile with a pack on in Quantico-like-terrain luggin a damn saw AND the spare barrel because your A-gunner is a retard during the summer - quality.

Like everyone has said, it is really hard to take a commission. I did know a 2nd Lt that was rolled into our company from the previous one due to leadership issues only to be rolled to two more consecutive companies for the same reasons. Reminds me of a Farva reference, "We should've taken him out back and shot him a long time ago"

Clux4

Banned
What are the physical demands of TBS? I am considering putting a package in for an interservice transfer. While I am not in bad shape at all, I have done the O-Course only once and some buddy rushes during my freshman year of college.

I guess it would be even harder to fail out if you had wings? No?

You can always tell you AI's how you cannot wait to get back into your climate controlled jet. Tell them you need to earn you flight pay!! :)

Let me put it to you this way, you would not fail out just for the simple fact that you have wings. It is more like a check in the box at that time. However, I would not expect you to go there and plain sandbag the thing.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I can't imagine showing up there with wings would get you a pass. However, I'm sure your chances of spending a year plus in Mike Co. like the rest of these poor knuckleheads would be significantly reduced.

Having wings at TBS will skyline you. You don't want to be a douche with everybody looking at you. Especially when it's your first exposure to your new service.

jdnew

^
Physically, TBS is not as bad as OCS. However, there are some very physical aspects to TBS (hikes, MCMAP, double O-course, E-Course). And those buddy rushes you did freshman year, do those for about a mile with a pack on in Quantico-like-terrain luggin a damn saw AND the spare barrel because your A-gunner is a retard during the summer - quality. Like everyone has said, it is really hard to take a commission. I did know a 2nd Lt that was rolled into our company from the previous one due to leadership issues only to be rolled to two more consecutive companies for the same reasons. Reminds me of a Farva reference, "We should've taken him out back and shot him a long time ago"

Ya, R-11 buddy rushing is definately taxing. Now R-15 wasn't that bad for me. Oorah SBF.

Clux4

Banned
I can't imagine showing up there with wings would get you a pass. However, I'm sure your chances of spending a year plus in Mike Co. like the rest of these poor knuckleheads would be significantly reduced.

Having wings at TBS will skyline you. You don't want to be a douche with everybody looking at you. Especially when it's your first exposure to your new service.

And are you talking from experience because ........
You are talking as if this is some big negative. TBS is not OCS. No one cares as long as you perform.

sanders

I was told (but don't know if it is true) that the number one reason for Lieutenants loosing their commission during TBS is fraternization. So don't fraternize.

Kodiak

I was told (but don't know if it is true) that the number one reason for Lieutenants loosing their commission during TBS is fraternization. So don't fraternize.

It all depends on the situation and how you respond to it (Did you lie about it?). There can be several reasons for loosing your commission, it all depends on how serious it is and what the CO recommends. You really have to fuck up to lose it.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor

Prob true. Nothin like gettin caught bumpin uglies in the Huey sitting on LZ-6. If you're gonna go out, go out big.