• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taxpayer wasted money: NMCI Windows 10 update

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Also, while google and microsoft have given unlimited storage for decades, NMCI has absurd caps. I think it was something like 250 MB when I was in a fleet squadron (2013-2016). I have 3 gb now for email apparently, up from 2 I think last year. Sure, over the past ten years I should have taken better care to delete the junk with attachments that flow in on a daily basis.

According to a google "how to find" search, I created my gmail account in Jan 2005. I have literally never deleted one single email. There are 50k+ emails in my inbox. Never had a single NMCI type "your mailbox is full" email.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
According to a google "how to find" search, I created my gmail account in Jan 2005. I have literally never deleted one single email. There are 50k+ emails in my inbox. Never had a single NMCI type "your mailbox is full" email.
Yeah but Google parses strings/data from your emails in order to 1) target ads to you, 2) generate word auto-fill suggestions as you type, 3) glean aggregated data for AI and ML automatic text generation capabilities, and 4) sell insights to third parties. They also record all your video calls (see: live auto-caption feature that converts voice to text in real time). This is a billion dollar (trillion dollar?) industry, and Google is great at monetizing “free” Gmail. There is a great saying: If you aren’t paying for the product, then you are the product.

So all that cash makes it easy for Google to refresh hardware, build out hyper-efficient data centers, and employ hundreds (thousands?) of devs at 6-figure salaries and stock options with the freedom to work from home, work on projects that interest them, do CBD or other substances, not have security clearances, and whatever other perks draw IT professionals to Google instead of DoD jobs.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I agree. Good on NAVAIR for resourcing themselves that way. But could some of that money be used to fund the operational side more, with the cost being not every GS and a lot of contractors get their own personal laptop? Sure. Eventually it all comes from the same pot of (IT) money. There just seems to be a lot of excess at NAVAIR when compared to output in certain program offices. Not all offices, of course, but there could definitely be some improved efficiencies (no different than the rest of the Navy).
With the type of work the majority of the workforce does between travel, meetings off site, etc having the majority of the technical workforce with a laptop makes sense.

I can't speak for all cases at NAVAIR but it's usually covered by whatever charge line is paying you, most of the GSs are paid for like a business unit in that you pay X for a GS of a certain grade and that GS gets a paycheck of Y (less than X). The difference funds personnel overhead such as homeroom costs, benefits, and technology.

I have no idea how IT is resourced throughout Big Navy or how PERS does it's personnel math but I'm guessing there's a roll-up rate for each Sailor that covers overhead and drives personnel budgeting.

Pags

N/A
pilot
NAVAIR is transitioning before CNAL. It's causing issues with ITTs and Teams collaboration.
Yeah, but that's a different point that what I was saying.

I collaborate with my OT counterparts via CVR pretty well. ?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
With the type of work the majority of the workforce does between travel, meetings off site, etc having the majority of the technical workforce with a laptop makes sense.

I can't speak for all cases at NAVAIR but it's usually covered by whatever charge line is paying you, most of the GSs are paid for like a business unit in that you pay X for a GS of a certain grade and that GS gets a paycheck of Y (less than X). The difference funds personnel overhead such as homeroom costs, benefits, and technology.

I get out all of that, and I understand it makes sense, big picture, the way it is. But at the operational level (or formerly at that level), it's one more frustration when you see the self-licking ice cream cone machine that exists in some program offices, and if some of those individuals had to share a computer, maybe they'd be more efficient with their taskers/spreadsheets/etc and not just constantly forward new drafts asking for the same inputs that someone has already given them 3 times.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If anyone wants to solve the IT issues at NAVAIR, here’s your chance:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
. . . whatever other perks draw IT professionals to Google instead of DoD jobs.
Given the amount of employee squawking in the media about Google talking on any kind of DOD work, I think it's as much cultural as the perks. I know an org as big as Google is going to have employees from across the political spectrum, but it seems a lot of the more vocal ones would rather set their hair on fire than get anywhere near the evil military-industrial complex of evil.

MS and Amazon seem to be the only Big Tech firms whose leaders have basically said "DOD is part of the duly-elected government of the liberal democracy we live in, so get over it."

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
If anyone wants to solve the IT issues at NAVAIR, here’s your chance:
I wonder how well it would go over in an interview to say your plans are to fire everyone and start over again.

BigRed389

None

I have no idea how IT is resourced throughout Big Navy or how PERS does it's personnel math but I'm guessing there's a roll-up rate for each Sailor that covers overhead and drives personnel budgeting.

Ashore NMCI is a roll up of command billets (seats) which your local NIWC/NMCI should be programmed to support.
I was always told by those involved in that sort of process that the biggest performance killer is all the monitoring/Cybersecurity stuff that is running in the background to NMCI.

Afloat is done to the network design. As in the afloat network program (eg CANES) is only programmed for a fixed number for storage space and hardware drops. Which is pretty shitty for even nominal manning. If you blew up the onboard manning, it'd cause some serious pain.
And the process of making network changes to afloat networks is not even close to pacing technology.

I'll say this is one of the few things I'd say the Aussies do somewhat better than us...

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
This computer issue has wasted hours of my week, so now I'm on the solution hunt. Our IT DH basically said "Thanks for trying, but there's nothing IT can do to fix the problem," which is a tad facetious for how little has been attempted (the last time I asked IT for help, they said they could use canned air to blow the dust out and see if that helped).

Question for the group: Anyone able to share how much RAM your NIPR machine has? Can check quickly by going to Start -> Run -> type dxdiag and hit Enter -> read off whatever is next to "Memory" (total GB is roughly half of the listed MB number).

Our machines are rocking 8 total GB to deal with all the bloatware the Navy throws at us.

Unlikely funding windfalls for RAM upgrades aside, I did find a solution online that I am going to ask my IT department to try. Windows 10 apparently hits 100% disk usage sometimes due to "Superfetch" (source, source and source), so I've requested we disable this feature on one computer and test it to see if it improves slowdown.