• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taxpayer wasted money: NMCI Windows 10 update

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wish our IT shop would ensure computers are updated at 0300 and not when everybody is at work and pilots need to log SHARPS/NAVFLIRs
Do they even have control over that? I always got the sense the updates were pushed by NMCI remotely.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Do they even have control over that? I always got the sense the updates were pushed by NMCI remotely.
Some. There are ways you can check on individual computer patch status to verify that it did happen automatically. If it didn't happen automatically then theyd have to manually pull the updates to the machine. If that fails then you call NMCI and it can end up with field services taking the machine away for a reimage.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
In 2008 when I was on my IA in Iraq, one evening at the daily ops update, the SIGO announced that the IT people were doing theater-wide system maintenance the middle of the next day and SIPRNET would be down for an hour or two during the middle of the day. At that moment I learned me everything I've ever needed to know about military IT's understanding of what "supporting vs supported roles" means. Any "hmm" moments about Navy IT and any GMT the Navy made me do, before or since, has merely reinforced that lesson.

Last edited:

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

I am fairly sure the green shutdowns happen to all our computers daily. Generally when somebody signs off, they get the, "WANNA DO A GREEN SHUTDOWN AND F*CK YOUR BUDDY?!" dialogue, which nobody clicks (unless by accident) since it'll down that station for an hour. Since we just leave the computers on when we're done with them, I'd be surprised if IT couldn't set up an "auto-restart with a green shutdown" policy in the middle of the night.

A wardroom of nearly 60 JOs sharing four computers would deeply appreciate it...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am fairly sure the green shutdowns happen to all our computers daily. Generally when somebody signs off, they get the, "WANNA DO A GREEN SHUTDOWN AND F*CK YOUR BUDDY?!" dialogue, which nobody clicks (unless by accident) since it'll down that station for an hour. Since we just leave the computers on when we're done with them, I'd be surprised if IT couldn't set up an "auto-restart with a green shutdown" policy in the middle of the night.

A wardroom of nearly 60 JOs sharing four computers would deeply appreciate it...
Yikes. That's a lot of profile bloat on those HDs.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Isn't there an S/MIME solution? I remember seeing some stuff a few months ago that was supposed to make it work on OWA.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

That's also a big issue that I've been told by NMCI can cause problems. But in a place like a TRACOM or FRS, it's a reality. Especially when FRSesses can be overmanned. NMCI has some sort of seat to butt ratio, similar to a ROC/POE (I can never remember which is the manning piece), and TRACOMs (and more so, FRSes) usually exceed what's on paper, so it's painful for everyone. Add in a standing SDO (at least at a FRS) and it eliminates one more seat.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Isn't there an S/MIME solution? I remember seeing some stuff a few months ago that was supposed to make it work on OWA.
I couldn't find one when I looked a couple weeks ago. Would love to hear if someone has figured it out!

Pags

N/A
pilot
I couldn't find one when I looked a couple weeks ago. Would love to hear if someone has figured it out!
I had one for use on an NMCI machine using OWA w/out VPN. No idea for USAF on your personal machine. Lots of stuff on the interwebs and it's received a lot of attention lately with so many on TW.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You’ll be happy to know that AF internet isn’t any better, but they did program into the AF system that every time you log in the computer says “Good morning/afternoon/evening insanebikerboy”. So, at least they politely welcome you to the suck.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

It sure is. The first troubleshooting step usually ends up being a profile wipe, resulting in everyone having to remap their printers/reconfigure OOMA/fix Outlook settings/etc. It's not even worth the meager, and fleeting, performance boost.

My IT guy told me today that our 8 GBs of RAM per desktop could be upgraded up to 64 with Wing approval, but that it would also be very unlikely due to the process involved. Wish he hadn't said anything.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
You’ll be happy to know that AF internet isn’t any better, but they did program into the AF system that every time you log in the computer says “Good morning/afternoon/evening insanebikerboy”. So, at least they politely welcome you to the suck.

I'm assuming, based on experience, that your USAF computer is on a first-name basis with you.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
This raised my blood pressure yesterday. Spent two hours across six machines trying to log on. My favorite is that our SIPR machine will occasionally lose connection to the keyboard due to the KVM switch, and the only solution is a restart. So I restarted, and it booted straight up into a Green Shutdown (these take 5-45 minutes, depending on your gods).

Animal rage.

The thing that gets me is that 8GB of RAM should be plenty, but the computers will FREQUENTLY boot up to black screens with operable cursors, requiring the user to manually execute "explorer.exe" to attempt to run the OS. That will usually fail. I don't know what the Navy's got running in the background of these computers, but the computers at my current command are worse than any I've encountered on the ships or elsewhere.
Most likely, the issue is that everyone who has ever logged into that machine, the machine built a user profile for that person (which sits on the disk forever). Without troubleshooting your exact issue, for most “slow” Navy shared computers I think it’s probably that, versus any Navy background-run spyware.

You can mitigate this by re-imaging the machines more frequently (once or twice annually should be plenty, even for high traffic shared machines). You can also move to thin clients or zero clients - which are underpowered in their own special way - but are designed to not store user information at the endpoint.

I don’t really understand the hatred of Win 10. Windows Defender is pretty good. If anyone with decision making influence is listening, the Navy should include Brave browser and DuckDuckGo browser native in the standard Navy-wide NCMI desktop image. MS Edge is awful and Chrome is a resource hog too.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm kind of surprised that the ACDU side hasn't transitioned to issuing at least all Os their own computer. Funding and all that likely prevent it but at NAVAIR we all get issued a computer from our homeroom. If we change homerooms there are ways the computer can or cannot be transferred but your profile is still there and now OneDrive. I have my own computer that I can walk around with, use enterprise WiFi on if the buildings have it, or travel, go to off-site meetings, or TW via hard-line or wifi+VPN. Every couple of years someone comes by and gives me a machine (and another keyboard and mouse, they're piling up). This is all built in to our homeroom overhead/rate.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My IT guy told me today that our 8 GBs of RAM per desktop could be upgraded up to 64 with Wing approval, but that it would also be very unlikely due to the process involved. Wish he hadn't said anything.

I don't know where you are now, but if it's still HSM-land, yeah, good luck. I think both Wing IT DHs had special GS training on how to find roadblocks to supporting their customers. AIRLANT/PAC doesn't help either.

I'm kind of surprised that the ACDU side hasn't transitioned to issuing at least all Os their own computer. Funding and all that likely prevent it but at NAVAIR we all get issued a computer from our homeroom. If we change homerooms there are ways the computer can or cannot be transferred but your profile is still there and now OneDrive. I have my own computer that I can walk around with, use enterprise WiFi on if the buildings have it, or travel, go to off-site meetings, or TW via hard-line or wifi+VPN. Every couple of years someone comes by and gives me a machine (and another keyboard and mouse, they're piling up). This is all built in to our homeroom overhead/rate.

Ah, NAVAIR...supporting the fleet! Meanwhile operational units have to hot-seat computers among an entire shop just to sign off a bird to get it flying.