• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If some people PERCEIVE an inoffensive, harmless tattoo that way, then so be it. Perception may be reality often times, but if the tattoo isn't offensive or overbearing, then its that person's problem.

If someone THINKS it's an issue, than it's already too late. This isn't MySpace, where if someone doesn't like you, you just not on their "friends list." (How's that for relating to the younger crowd) If someone, superior or subordinate thinks a tattoo takes away from your credibility as an officer, then it already has. If you're will to take the hit, than so be it. I do concur that as long as it's not visible in PT, it probably won't be an issue--we aren't the Spartans, and we don't prepare for battle by wrestling naked. However, the more you get, the more likely it will be outed. 1 or 2 small ones with a school or service-related logo probably won't be an issue even if detected, but the more you get, the more likely you will be "that guy," and maybe won't even know it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the plural of tatoo is "tattoos," not "tattoo's." Plurals don't come with apostrophes.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If someone THINKS it's an issue, than it's already too late. This isn't MySpace, where if someone doesn't like you, you just not on their "friends list." (How's that for relating to the younger crowd) If someone, superior or subordinate thinks a tattoo takes away from your credibility as an officer, then it already has. If you're will to take the hit, than so be it. I do concur that as long as it's not visible in PT, it probably won't be an issue--we aren't the Spartans, and we don't prepare for battle by wrestling naked. However, the more you get, the more likely it will be outed. 1 or 2 small ones with a school or service-related logo probably won't be an issue even if detected, but the more you get, the more likely you will be "that guy," and maybe won't even know it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the plural of tatoo is "tatoos," not "tatoo's." Plurals don't come with apostrophes.

Well I was speaking more about a service or personal related tattoo like a rose or child's face something completely inoffensive. I just can't imagine a well-concealed Navy Anchor or Marine Corps EGA being perceived as an outlaw-ism. My opinion, wrong as it may be.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Look: if you want 'em -- get 'em. I could care less. But don't tell guys they're "not an issue", 'cause I have experienced the opposite. Others on this thread have as well. Tattoo's are a symbol of "rebellion" and "in your face" outlaw-ism and therefore not acceptable to many.

First of all, I would like to say that I completely disagree with YOUR twisted perception of what tatoos are. I got my first and only tattoo while stationed in Japan which happens to be a tribal armband with my late grandfathers initials woven into the band. Thats pretty rebellious and in your face, huh? No. Second, I'm quite sure that if the navy shared your views of tatoos, they would not grant tattoo waivers for guys with tatoos that want to become officers. As long as the tattoo doesn't convey something gang or violence related, and is covered while wearing PT gear, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE TATTOO. There is no reason the tattoo would even have a chance to offend anyone, nobody would ever see it.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Tasteful, concealed, and meaningful should be the watchwords on a carefully considered decision here.

Unless your kid died, don't get a kid's face. I especially hate the ones that people get just because they like the design--hence my extreme hatred of tribals, except on hot chicks. And even on hot chicks, it's questionable, since someday she will no longer be a hot chick, and the thought of a 70-year-old grandma with a tribal tramp stamp curdles my stomach. Hence my, "It'd better be something meaningful (e.g. school or military) because it's going to be with you forever" rule. The roses, dragons, chinese kanji (on which the translations are often questionable), tribals, and other doo-dads are and exercise in extreme bad judgement, IMO.

I don't have a problem with tattoos, as I've said before. However, this, "there's nothing wrong with them, screw anyone who doesn't like 'em attitude" misses the point. As an authority figure, PERCEPTION IS REALITY. A small tatoo isn't going to kill anyone, just like a haircut just barely in regs doesn't. The more you push the line, the less of a good example you set. Just obeying the rules isn't necessarily good enough for an officer.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Tasteful, concealed, and meaningful should be the watchwords on a carefully considered decision here.

Unless your kid died, don't get a kid's face. I especially hate the ones that people get just because they like the design--hence my extreme hatred of tribals, except on hot chicks. And even on hot chicks, it's questionable, since someday she will no longer be a hot chick, and the thought of a 70-year-old grandma with a tribal tramp stamp curdles my stomach. Hence my, "It'd better be something meaningful (e.g. school or military) because it's going to be with you forever" rule. The roses, dragons, chinese kanji (on which the translations are often questionable), tribals, and other doo-dads are and exercise in extrem bad judgement, IMO.

Thats why opinions are like, well you know. And you saying that you don't like tribals on anyone but hot chicks...wtf is that?

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Thats why opinions are like, well you know. And you saying that you don't like tribals on anyone but hot chicks...wtf is that?

Yes, opinions are like a-holes, and maybe I shouldn't append my comments with "IMO," because everything here is opinion. If you think my opinion is the same as what comes out of an a-hole, then so be it. I'm taking that you're a prior who's up for an officer program. I respect your time in service and the experience you gained there. However, I'm trying to convey my experience and opinion gained by 13 years as a Marine officer. I've worked in Navy, Marine, and joint commands, so I think I have some idea about what's going on in the other services as well. It is based on my observation, and yes, opinion.

And yes, I saw that your grandpa's initials were in your tribal, but I still hate tribals on men. They are the epitome of, "uhh, that looks cool," and I think they are very bad choices to put on your body for the rest of your life. That's just my aesthetic judgment. Obviously you don't agree, but your favorite color is red or fuschia or chartreuse or whatever and mine's blue, same same.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I'm kind of partial towards the Sailor Jerry looking tats.....he makes some good rum too!

rum_splash.gif

AJB37

I will give this advice to anyone thinking about getting a tattoo, make sure it doesn't make a cameo in any movies before you get it. I have a Latin phrase on the inside of my right arm that makes an appearance in Armageddon... my friends now call me Armageddon... so just be prepared to accept all the consequences of your tattoo.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I'm kind of partial towards the Sailor Jerry looking tats.....he makes some good rum too!

rum_splash.gif

Unrelated, but I got a sweatshirt of his for christmas. Same design and everything.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Yes, opinions are like a-holes, and maybe I shouldn't append my comments with "IMO," because everything here is opinion. If you think my opinion is the same as what comes out of an a-hole, then so be it. I'm taking that you're a prior who's up for an officer program. I respect your time in service and the experience you gained there. However, I'm trying to convey my experience and opinion gained by 13 years as a Marine officer. I've worked in Navy, Marine, and joint commands, so I think I have some idea about what's going on in the other services as well. It is based on my observation, and yes, opinion.

And yes, I saw that your grandpa's initials were in your tribal, but I still hate tribals on men. They are the epitome of, "uhh, that looks cool," and I think they are very bad choices to put on your body for the rest of your life. That's just my aesthetic judgment. Obviously you don't agree, but you your favorite color is red or fuschia or chartreuse or whatever and mine's blue, same same.

Yes, I'm prior enlisted who's going officer. However, that doesn't make a difference in my opinion of tatoos. My opinion of tatoos would be the same as if I went straight to the academy after high school or was a straight civilian going in as an officer. I just think that the "tattoo stereotype" is one of the most ridiculous stereotypes out there. I completely agree that officers shouldn't have tatoos running up their neck, or even on their lower legs or lower arms. But when a tatoo is completely covered when wearing shorts and a T-shirt, c'mon, whats the harm??

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
But when a tatoo is completely covered when wearing shorts and a T-shirt, c'mon, whats the harm??

Likely nothing. But with a couple caveats. One, if you're an officer who has a bunch of random BS tattoos, even if they aren't visible in PT gear, it will be known, and you will not be regarded as a class act, which is what an officer should be. I'm talking especially about the type of tattoos that are (snob alert) lower class, e.g. meat tags, spider webs, your own initials, and yes, probably tribals. The type of tattoos a drunk PFC gets his first liberty at MCT.

Two, my biggest problem is with the "screw anyone who doesn't like it" attitude a couple of guys have put out in this thread. There are lots of things I could do as an officer that aren't against the rules but that I don't do because it isn't what officers do. That might be wearing a hat inside (which is actually against the rules), or it might be getting drunk at the strip club 100m outside the front gate. Being an officer is often about perception. If somebody can't deal with that, he should look again at the job description.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Two, my biggest problem is with the "screw anyone who doesn't like it" attitude a couple of guys have put out in this thread.

My biggest problem is with the way this is being blown out of proportion by a couple guys on this thread. Your right that a lot of being an officer is about perception and officers should try their best to maintain that positive perception. However, you are making it out to sound like we are saying "I'm going to get a gang symbol tattooed on my forehead and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks!" That isn't what anyone here is saying. We are saying get tasteful tatoos (which by the way means not gang, sex, or violence related, not just what is acceptible to you) and keep them hidden, IN COMPLIANCE WITH NAVY REGULATIONS.