• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Two, my biggest problem is with the "screw anyone who doesn't like it" attitude a couple of guys have put out in this thread. There are lots of things I could do as an officer that aren't against the rules but that I don't do because it isn't what officers do. That might be wearing a hat inside (which is actually against the rules), or it might be getting drunk at the strip club 100m outside the front gate. Being an officer is often about perception. If somebody can't deal with that, he should look again at the job description.

Are you implying officers shouldn't have tattoos? Everyone has a different definition of was an officer should be I guess. My first OIC used to say to me, I was so enlisted because I had a tattoo. It wasn't his idea of what an officer should have. Of course he got caught banging one of our enlisted girls. Perception of what an officer should be is often very subjective. IMO, be discrete, keep in line and all should be good. That way, it doesn't give anyone a reason (such as those who don't agree with tats) to hold it against you. For that reason, none of mine will ever show with any sort of business or uniform attire.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
My first OIC used to say to me, I was so enlisted because I had a tattoo. It wasn't his idea of what an officer should have. Of course he got caught banging one of our enlisted girls.

Was that the VRC-40 skipper like 4 or 5 years ago that ended up killing himself?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
The other consideration that no one has mentioned yet is the $$.... you're spending at least a few hundred for a tiny little piece of ink. It can easily run in to the thousands for the more intricate stuff. I've spent over $2000 all together for the 3 that I have, and I got them done for a real bargain while overseas.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Are you implying officers shouldn't have tattoos? Everyone has a different definition of was an officer should be I guess. My first OIC used to say to me, I was so enlisted because I had a tattoo. It wasn't his idea of what an officer should have. Of course he got caught banging one of our enlisted girls. Perception of what an officer should be is often very subjective. IMO, be discrete, keep in line and all should be good. That way, it doesn't give anyone a reason (such as those who don't agree with tats) to hold it against you. For that reason, none of mine will ever show with any sort of business or uniform attire.

That's fvckin rich!!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My biggest problem is with the way this is being blown out of proportion by a couple guys on this thread. Your right that a lot of being an officer is about perception and officers should try their best to maintain that positive perception. However, you are making it out to sound like we are saying "I'm going to get a gang symbol tattooed on my forehead and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks!" That isn't what anyone here is saying. We are saying get tasteful tatoos (which by the way means not gang, sex, or violence related, not just what is acceptible to you) and keep them hidden, IN COMPLIANCE WITH NAVY REGULATIONS.

Concur. Keep it simple, keep it personal and within regulations. Having a tattoo doesn't make anyone any less of an officer, aviator or whatever. I've got a pic somewhere here of a naval aviator in the 50's with a tatto of Navy Wings on his left breast. Not my cup of tea but I bet it didn't make him any less of anything. I've got my family crest on one shoulder and a poker card with a skull wearing a WWII leather flying helmet...I'm a prop pilot afterall...in the middle of it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

No. As I've stated earlier, I'm not anti-tattoo. Just tread wisely, and don't go in with the attitude that, "If someone doesn't like it then I don't want to be friends with them because they're intolerant," because that doesn't fly. You don't get to choose whether or not you have a prick OIC. Be aware that there may be negative consequences, and that is part of the game. If you're willing to deal with those, than bully for you.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Officers have tattoo's and have no issues. I have two of them, no issues at all...never have been and probably never will be. Keep it smart, nothing going up the neck or on the back of the head and it probably will never be an issue.

My first OIC used to say to me, I was so enlisted because I had a tattoo. It wasn't his idea of what an officer should have.

This stuff is very subjective and situationally dependent. Lots of officers have tattoos. Most, if not all of them, are small, inoffensive and discrete. But that won't stop some of the perceptions held by some people about those with tattoos.

Let's hold back the drama here a little. Almost everybody posting here aggrees that extreme tattoos (in the eye of the beholder) WILL affect your career to one degree or another. Also, that small, tasteful, and discrete tattoos may or may not affect your career.

If a long career doesn't interest you (and never will?), then it won't affect you much at all. Everybody else can do what they want and take the "good" (cool tats) with the potential "bad" (social stigma). Just be sure to think about what you're doing before you do it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Was that the VRC-40 skipper like 4 or 5 years ago that ended up killing himself?

Nope, never made O-5. He actually was a good dude and good OIC in many respects....his personal issues aside. He was caught but everything was swept under the rug. I was the DIV-O and the young man who caught me came to me first. He was also busted bringing alcohol onboard the ship. He had two vices, alcohol and women. But yeah, I had issues, had a tattoo :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I think my fucking head is gonna explode.

I said "I'm done" ... but since I didn't "unsubscribe" to this thread I kept getting "hits", so here it is and so am I ....

Guys are dying in Iraq and the 'Stan ... guys are on the line in the Gulf, the P.I., and ALL over the globe. And yet ..... some of you guys are grinding and grinding and GRINDING on whether or not "tattoos are O.K." and whether those who don't subscribe to YOUR fuckin' view of the tattoo world are "ignorant" or bigots.

Do whatever-the-fuck you want. I don't care. Noone else cares, either. Just don't bore the rest of us with your "personal expression". Just DO IT and shut the fuck up about it!!! For the love of God!!!

The time and brainpower spent on this might be better placed on efforts to figure out how to get into Naval Aviation, how to get your goddamn Wings if you haven't gotten them, or how to keep them and get the job done if you're in that little place of the world.

Just to head off the next obvious bank of questions:
Make sure you point out your tatts on the airline interview, also. Show "them" what a champion of "personal expression" you are .... that will score points for you, big time. Remember to wait for the phone to ring with your job offer, too ....

Really, really "done" with this one. Jesus Christ. Fortunately, life goes on.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
No. As I've stated earlier, I'm not anti-tattoo. Just tread wisely, and don't go in with the attitude that, "If someone doesn't like it then I don't want to be friends with them because they're intolerant," because that doesn't fly. You don't get to choose whether or not you have a prick OIC. Be aware that there may be negative consequences, and that is part of the game. If you're willing to deal with those, than bully for you.

I've deployed twice as an OIC and the only person I ever hated was kmac :D In this case, perception was reality and he had no tatts. I would have hated him either way :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think my fucking head is gonna explode.

I said "I'm done" ... but since I didn't "unsubscribe" to this thread I kept getting "hits", so here it is and so am I ....

Guys are dying in Iraq and the 'Stan ... guys are on the line in the Gulf, the P.I., and ALL over the globe. And yet ..... some of you guys are grinding and grinding and GRINDING on whether or not "tattoos are O.K." and whether those who don't subscribe to YOUR fuckin' view of the tattoo world are "ignorant" or bigots.

Do whatever-the-fuck you want. I don't care. Noone else cares, either. Just don't bore the rest of us with your "personal expression". Just DO IT and shut the fuck up about it!!! For the love of God!!!

The time and brainpower spent on this might be better placed on efforts to figure out how to get into Naval Aviation, how to get your goddamn Wings if you haven't gotten them, or how to keep them and get the job done if you're in that little place of the world.

Just to head off the next obvious bank of questions:
Make sure you point out your tatts on the airline interview, also. Show "them" what a champion of "personal expression" you are .... that will score points for you, big time. Remember to wait for the phone to ring with your job offer, too ....

Really, really "done" with this one. Jesus Christ. Fortunately, life goes on.

Why don't you just let it go. We get it, you don't like tattoos. Then you bring in this bullshit about Iraq, men dying, etc. Trying to divert the attention to something else other than the topic to justify your opinion on the matter. This thread was about tattoos and guys like you bring in an arrogant, holier than though attitude about it. You claim leaving but had to get in your parting shot with trash post above. Then the little airline interview parting shot in attempt somehow to prove your opinion is right? I guess my bud who fly's for Southwest somehow got through the whole process with his "personal expression". At least man up and be honest, you don't like them, you don't like folks who have them and you won't let it go until you prove your opinion is correct. I highly doubt you are done with this thread....the ego thing won't let you.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
A4's is just mad because he doesn't get along w/ his twin brother....
tattoo.jpg

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Likely nothing. But with a couple caveats. One, if you're an officer who has a bunch of random BS tattoos, even if they aren't visible in PT gear, it will be known, and you will not be regarded as a class act, which is what an officer should be. I'm talking especially about the type of tattoos that are (snob alert) lower class, e.g. meat tags, spider webs, your own initials, and yes, probably tribals. The type of tattoos a drunk PFC gets his first liberty at MCT.

First off, if I wasn't considered a "class act" I wouldn't have been selected to be an officer to begin with... especially w/ the extent of the tattoo-age I've acquired over the years.

IMG0005.JPG

IMG0003z.jpg

Secondly, yes, I'll admit I've changed my way of thinking about having as many tattoos as I do and have endured COUNTLESS painful laser removal sessions over a period of 4-5 years! That being said, a Marine Corps 3-star and both a Navy 2-star and 1-star I knew back at the Pentagon POAC said I should keep 'em. Not to mention a certain Navy O-5 (full body suit...yes FULL body suit of tattoos) who agreed. Now, tell me, how does one make it that far if "people are talking behind their back" and "they'll be THAT guy"?

23.Tat2Removal2.JPG

I dunno, maybe I'm just an exception to the rule... but I don't think so. I've come too far to have only just 'beat the odds' that many times. This is a different day and age. Leadership and excellence are more than skin deep.