• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taliban Ambushed

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another Ambush

Unfortunately this time it was our guys ambushed. Still a very good article with some good pictures by the same guy who wrote the first. The slideshow with audio is pretty good too, it has a narrative from two of the soldiers on the patrol with some of the audio from the ambush and is definitely worth the 3 minutes.

On another note, I knew Afghanistan was not all sand and rocks but where they are at is much more greener than I expected.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A surprising amount of green, where the snowmelt from the mountains runs into rivers. Really quite pretty in some parts. Like Nevada, without the Bunny Ranch.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The fighter had only been pretending to be dead, the soldiers said. He lunged for Sergeant Reese, who stabbed him in the left eye.

That's one badass dude.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great Signature

You have to admire the[ir] discipline.

Great read. Definitely a good way to start my Saturday morning with my cup of coffee.
Ryan C., your signature is the best on this site IMHO. I first came across it when I saw a plaque with it engraved, in the town of Nakhon Phenom, Thailand in 1971. Cost US$5.00 & sits at the TOP of my squadron plaque collection ("love me wall"). The inscription says it all!:)
BzB

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
The SEAL team they mentioned was SEAL Team 10. The one survivor wrote a book "Lone Survivor" a year or two ago about it. It's a great read.

Glad our troops were able to return the favor.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Unfortunately this time it was our guys ambushed. Still a very good article with some good pictures by the same guy who wrote the first. The slideshow with audio is pretty good too, it has a narrative from two of the soldiers on the patrol with some of the audio from the ambush and is definitely worth the 3 minutes.

On another note, I knew Afghanistan was not all sand and rocks but where they are at is much more greener than I expected.

Might repetition make IED placement easier? I understand options for patrolling may be limited by terrain but one of the narrators mentions "we took our normal route, pretty much." It sucks we may have lost a soldier because our infantry guys established a pattern. Their response was impressive though. Anyone else ever feel guilty they're there and you're not?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Seems they were betrayed by tribal leaders, who have been further Talibanized because the government said they can't cut down trees anymore? Where can we learn more about this?

Is this block-house fighting, patrols going from firebase to firebase looking for the enemy?

How can we deny the enemy the safety of sympathetic villages, without necessarily alienating the villages like the ones highlighted in these articles?

Pat_Lucas

Dumb New Guy
Contributor
Is it sick that I instantly recognized the disembodied ejection port cover without having to scroll down? Is it gay that I was able to look away from Puma Swede's enormous rack to do so?

Don't feel bad I had the exact same experience.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor

Both great articles, as a grunt my mind continually pours over IA drills to ambushes, as that is the single scariest scenario (besides for victim actuated IED's) that I know. Also it is really interesting to read the differences between the Army and the Corps in their response to the ambush and the set up of the Army's deliberate ambush; weapon systems on safe, ambush initiated by command instead of a closed bolt weapon or claymore, no setting up a base of fire and having the third squad close the gate when ambushed, no fireteam or buddy rushes...

Great reads, thanks.

MrSaturn

Contributor
How can we deny the enemy the safety of sympathetic villages, without necessarily alienating the villages like the ones highlighted in these articles?

I think a huge part of it are the Provincial Reconstruction Teams deployed throughout Afghanistan to help develop the local government and infrastructure. The one in Kunar province is actually led by a Navy Helo pilot.

Alienation would mean we would keep them at a distance. However, all US forces proactively work with village elders and often manuever elements know the elders in their area by name.

Through all of the development and the many cups of tea it boils down to a simple question for elders.

We have built you a road; we have built you a clinic; we have built you a school; what have the Taliban provided for you?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The SEAL team they mentioned was SEAL Team 10. The one survivor wrote a book "Lone Survivor" a year or two ago about it. It's a great read.

I just happened to be in SEAL Team 10 spaces this morning and the first thing you see walking in the door is a mural of the guys they lost. It is extremely well done. The connecting hallway has even more memorial items on the individuals. It's a very fitting tribute.