• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taking my commission

dvl_dog_2531_90

Crowbar said:
Yeah, if you spend your whole life trying to make other people happy, then other people will be happy and you won't.
I've met a ton of people who told me they wished they had joined (insert service here) but weren't really sure if they should do it or not. I've only met a few who said they wished they hadn't...

Sage advice indeed.

I am a prior Marine and later applied and was accepted to attend OCC in 2001 (before all the current deployment fun began). I decided not to attend so as to remain in my then relationship and also to continue my career in the IT world.

Well, thankfully that beotch is gone (I have a different one but that is another topic) and my career has gone well (6 figures), but my job is boring and most every day I regret not taking the plunge and pursuing that commission. I'm 33 and I've considered reenlisting just to get back in and possibly attend OCS (or not, doesn't really matter too much). If not for the wife, child, and material comforts I'd be on it in a nanosecond.

But maybe you have a good reason to pass. Like that really hot girl, or that cool job prospect. Oh, wait! That was me . . .

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
dvl_dog_2531_90 said:
But maybe you have a good reason to pass. Like that really hot girl, or that cool job prospect. Oh, wait! That was me . . .

If you aren't married to her or haven't put a rock on her finger, then making a life altering decision based on a girl, is foolish at best. Same goes for girls making a life altering decision based on a guy.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Fly Navy said:
If you aren't married to her or haven't put a rock on her finger, then making a life altering decision based on a girl, is foolish at best. Same goes for girls making a life altering decision based on a guy.

Same goes for GUYS making a life altering decision based on a GUY...sorry Fly, couldn't pass that up...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jamnww said:
Same goes for GUYS making a life altering decision based on a GUY...sorry Fly, couldn't pass that up...

Are you speaking from personal experience? ;)

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
drew0203 said:
Does not excepting your commission after OCS seem like a crazy idea to anyone?

Speaking for myself, yes! But you gotta do whats right for you. Good luck.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zippy said:
None of the DORs i know said that anyone in the chain of command attempted to get them to change their mind- all accepted their decision and processed them along.
I DOR'd twice. CO of VT-6 tried to get me to not DOR (the first time). Got to the Wing and the good LCDR got me to go back through again.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
I DOR'd twice. CO of VT-6 tried to get me to not DOR (the first time). Got to the Wing and the good LCDR got me to go back through again.

Different world these days...

drew0203

PLC-C Ground Summer 05'
Thanks for the replys. As far as the 48% figure... that was from our platoon commandor.

I'm going to sit on my decision for awhile. I have bad shin splits and havent been running because of them, I think its just been bumming me out.

drew