• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taking my commission

drew0203

PLC-C Ground Summer 05'
So I graduated OCS this past summer. Now all I have to do is except my commission and I'm in. However this decision is a lot harder than I ever imagined. There are many forces pulling me in both directions. Has anyone else who has completed OCS gone through this...? I would imagine so because 48% of PLC-C candidates do not except their commission. Does not excepting your commission after OCS seem like a crazy idea to anyone? Let me hear your thoughts...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Does to me but then again I always knew so it wasn't a hard choice....where did you get the 48% from because in my platoon at OCS (49) one 1 didn't take it.

Only advice I can offer is that if you don't ACCept it now then you won't get another chance at it and you may regret it for the rest of your life. Then again is the economic considerations...steady job or whatever your other options are...

In the end it comes down to you...and what you want to do...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Befrore anyone jumps all over this guy, good on him for be honest and weighing his options.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You basically have one shot at this. Im guessing you had enough desire hence you made it through OCS. There is plenty of time to do other things but one shot at this dream. If you dont do it you might find yourself wondering what if for the rest of your life. Best of luck in the decision but make sure you are doing waht you want not what someone else wants for you.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
drew0203 said:
So I graduated OCS this past summer. Now all I have to do is except my commission and I'm in. However this decision is a lot harder than I ever imagined. There are many forces pulling me in both directions. Has anyone else who has completed OCS gone through this...? I would imagine so because 48% of PLC-C candidates do not except their commission. Does not excepting your commission after OCS seem like a crazy idea to anyone? Let me hear your thoughts...

Good on you for being honest here.

I know many, MANY adult men, some of the Vietnam generation, some younger, that have one very large regret in their life. That regret is not serving in the United States military when they could have. Take that for what it's worth.

Crowbar

None
Yeah, if you spend your whole life trying to make other people happy, then other people will be happy and you won't.
I've met a ton of people who told me they wished they had joined (insert service here) but weren't really sure if they should do it or not. I've only met a few who said they wished they hadn't...

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
hope you make the right decision, but from my brief experience it seems to be much harder to become an officer in any branch when compared to just a few years ago - you are lucky to have the choice

Raptor2216

The way I look at it is, I have been given a chance that so many people can only hope for. There is only one point in life when you can go into the military and live a dream but you have the rest of your life to do whatever else you want but it doesn't work the other way around. I understand that everyone has they own situation to think about but this is my view on the matter. Goodluck with your decision.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
drew0203 said:

For me, it was a really easy decision to take my commission. I went through PLC-C and almost every graduate took their commission. I'm not sure where you got the 48% figure from.

The point is, do what you want to do. If you don't want your commission, don't take it. To me, taking your commission when you don't want it seems crazy. Who cares if you went to OCS? If you don't desire life as a Marine Officer now would be the time to raise your hand.

usmcecho4

pilot
Another thing you should consider is that the "real Marine Corps" is nothing like what you have experienced thus far (if it were no one would stay in for 20). Consider the whole OCS thing like rushing a frat, of course it's going to suck but once you get the frat life is way better (ie people actually treat you well, do what you say, repect you, etc).

I used to be in your boat durring my senior wondering if I should or should not accept my commission (this is one of the drawbacks of PLC). In the end it came down to considering what the hell else would I do that would be as rewarding/fun? Most of my civilian friends are in entry level mangement positions, grad school, law school, or unemployed and none of them seems to really like their job.

The way I saw it is that you will be a Marine (which is cool in and of itself), you will get paid, you will gain respect, you will have excitement and experiences you cannot get in the civilian world, you will get GI bill, and you only have to give them 4 years. So when you get out you will be 26, have awesome leadership experience, be a veteran (if our current optemp keeps up), see some truely crazy things, be wanted by women and envied by men, and have $40,000 given to you for grad school, and all the while take approx $100,000+ and 120 days of paid vacation. Doesn't sound like such a bad deal to me.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

usmcecho4

pilot
Taxman2A said:
For me, it was a really easy decision to take my commission. I went through PLC-C and almost every graduate took their commission. I'm not sure where you got the 48% figure from.

Percentage probably comes from those candidates that never return for seniors.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Befrore anyone jumps all over this guy, good on him for be honest and weighing his options.
No Zab. Good on you. This is interesting. Why is it we don't see more of this when someone is someone is going through the decision making process of whether to DOR from flight school?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Agree with everyone else here, but bottom line is you have to make the decision that is right for you. Try to picture youself 20yrs down the road and think about wheter you would regret your decision or not then.

Things to think about (some mentioned before):
1) Do you have anything else lined up to do If you decide not to take it/ can you see yourself anywhere else?
2) Your commitment is only 4 years. You will be 25-26 when you can get out. You will have done more then the vast majority of the rest of the population regarding service to the country.
3) You will learn to be a leader, and the leadership experience you get will help you land a better job when you get out.
4) Money for grad school.
5) lifetime brotherhood/Marine for life.

Goodluck with the decision

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Why is it we don't see more of this when someone is someone is going through the decision making process of whether to DOR from flight school?

Similar discussions have been taking place with the people who have been thinking about DORing here- at least between friends. I know of two cases where such conversations caused the individuals to wait a little bit longer before making their final decisions, but the outcome was still the same. Others seem to have really made up their minds before they start talking to people about it. Either way it is their decision and, from what i've seen at least, people accept that. None of the DORs i know said that anyone in the chain of command attempted to get them to change their mind- all accepted their decision and processed them along.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
No Zab. Good on you. This is interesting. Why is it we don't see more of this when someone is someone is going through the decision making process of whether to DOR from flight school?

I think maybe because DORs are seen as people who are / have been wasting much needed money. The money spent training personnel that only later DOR could have been used on other things whereas this individual is deciding in advance...

No that I really agree with this line of thought but it is one possibility.