• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taking care of a dog?

bradler

Getting a Dog

I did some research and could not find any gouge about pets.

I just graduated OCS 196 and was wondering when is the best time to get a dog?

I know I have TBS next and I don't want one then but I was thinking after that. I am a air contract and know I would follow on to Pensacola.

Thanks for the help.

Radler

Ace_Austin

pilot
Unless your married, personally I'd hold off getting a larger pet like a dog or even a cat. They need the right attention and being in TBS/Primary sort of situations you may find your on base for 12-16 hours a day working and that is an awfully long time to let a critter go. Get something low maintenance if you must have a pet. Goldfish or something of the likes.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
unless you are married I wouldnt get a pet. There is little time and a lot of moves.

I agree, I did not get one until I was married. In the 5 years I spent in operational units I spent about half that time deployed, not that nice on a pet if you are single.

phrogpilot73

I would agree not to get one until you are married, or at the very least are in the fleet and can find someone to look after it while you're gone. I had a very good vet that I boarded my cat with during one deployment, and because I had gotten to know them ahead of time the cat was only in his cage when they weren't in the office. The rest of the time, he had free reign of the office. I would also argue that if you're looking to get a pet as a single guy - cats are the best. They're pretty self-sufficient, so you can take off for a long weekend, leaving behind a lot of food and water and a clean litter box, and they're fine when you get back. Just my $0.02.

KBayDog

I would also argue that if you're looking to get a pet as a single guy - cats are the best.

Oh, boy.

popcorn_b.jpg

JMMH

Ugh.
We've got 2 dogs (and 1 cat):

Don't get one. They limit your places to live- as far as renting goes. Someone has to take care of them (read: YOU). If you're out somewhere you have to go home and feed them or let them out. When traveling, you have to either take them or board them, which is NOT cheap.

Oh- and having a wife doesn't mean SHE's going to take care of your damned dog!!! ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
or at the very least are in the fleet and can find someone to look after it while you're gone.

That said, don't be that guy/gal that has to have everyone else take care of your dog while you're on workups. Roommates get tired of that REAL quick.

MasterBates

Watching a buddys dog for a week because his cruise moved up and his parents can't come until the next week to get it is one thing.

Some Jabroni wanting JOPA to take care of his dog for the entire workup, unsat.

phrogpilot73

That said, don't be that guy/gal that has to have everyone else take care of your dog while you're on workups. Roommates get tired of that REAL quick.
Yup. I agree. You've got to be REALLY good friends to jump on that grenade. I had some friends who volunteered (I didn't even bring it up), but after 2 months they cried uncle. I had already arranged with the vet for the cat before I left, so all they had to do was bring the cat to them.

And no, I didn't marry PSW to cover anything up. I'm secure enough in my manhood to say that yes, I prefer cats over dogs.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's not a really good time to get a pet, but there are lots of really bad times to get a pet - many of them have already been mentioned. If you really want some sort of furry pet companion, you might think about fostering for a local animal rescue - the humane society, SPCA, or some other rescue group. If you're set on having a special breed dog, there are breed specific groups too all over the country. This is a fantastic way to have a dog or cat if you can't commit to the 10, 15, or 20 years that the animal is going to live. Oftentimes, the group will pay for the vet bills and food expenses, and if you have to leave town help with arrangements. The downside is that hopefully the animal you're fostering ends up finding it's own family and will leave your abode. The Lost Dog and Cat Rescue Foundation is in Arlington, and I can't say enough good things about them.
www.lostdogrescue.org

You also might consider helping to raise a guidedog puppy (housebreaking, socializing, puppy school), before it hits actual guidedog training.
www.guidingeyes.org

I have a dog, and have temporary-but-probably-permanent custody of my buddy's dog who's away for a year with Mother Green. Just as phrog-the-cat-dude said, having reliable vet and kennel resources is huge.

Good luck -
Rugger

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I had piranhas when I was going through flight school.....they were particularly fond of Boars' Head Baked Virginia Ham.

And enjoy long walks on the beach, facials and Tinky-Winky, the purple tele-tubby...:D
and enjoys antiquing. :)
0000791489-01-1.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had piranhas when I was going through flight school.....they were particularly fond of Boars' Head Baked Virginia Ham.

Do you hang out w/ Son of a Grunt? Did you almost join a gang because you "were pretty good w/ a bowstaff?"