• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

t-6

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yeah and remember it was designed to teach a youngster to fly a jet - an AF jet at that. That's all. Look up the requirements docs - you'll be shocked.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
gatordev said:
When were you told that? I ask because about two months ago, I heard from the -34 model manager that maybe in a year or two they would start showing up.

We were told that last week by one of the civilian academic instructors. I'm not saying its Gospel, it's just what was passed on to me by a reputable source, IMO.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FLY_USMC said:
I agree..if someone said it..that worst case scenario I doubt many SNA's would have the state of mind to actually eject in time to save themselves early on, but I will also be the one to say in Fezz's defense...god rest their souls...a couple people in Corpus recently, and in the past, could've benefited from ejection seats, maybe?

There was 1 student here that ejected, got his wings a few months ago. Some of the IPs ejected from T-45s as students as well. So, I'm not sure where you get the "I doubt many SNA's would have the state of mind to actually eject". We fly on the seat everyday and one thing they hammer into our heads every flight is to know YOUR parameters for ejection. Sure, we're studs, so we're not always sure when to be afraid and whatnot, but I'm willing to bet any stud who loses his engine at the 45 (325-375 AGL), is punching.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
but I'm willing to bed any stud...

I bet you are, Liberace.

(sorry man...but that's asking for it. in before the edit)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Not an SNA, but rather an IP, did bail out successfully back in the summer of '99.
I remember that when I was in -86. It was on an FCF, if memory serves.

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Not an SNA, but rather an IP, did bail out successfully back in the summer of '99.

Wasn't he the moron who released his chute several hundred feet over the water?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
Well, maybe...I think he bailed over the Alabama swamp

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
Nope this guy made it back home OK. I suspect the "early release" guy was many years ago.

Brett

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
It was a while ago, as the STUD (who survived, despite breaking his back and pelvis on the horizontal stab) is now a LCDR. He gave us a brief about the experience while I was in VT-27. Apparently, he doesn't really remember much after impacting the stab, but he managed to release his chute harness and get clear of the thing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
squeeze said:

If we're talking about the same guy ('99 guy), the story I heard in an OCF brief the other day (by a friend of his) was that the reason he released "late" was because he didn't get out of the aircraft until the last second. He basically jumped, 'chute opened, and touch down. I guess 9000-12000 FPM will do that.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
squeeze said:

I think moron is probably a bit harsh here. This inicident I think happened in 95, when I was going through VT-31. The IP had demonstrated a spin and recovery then turned it over to the student for a try. During the IP's initial recovery, the stick had inadvertently unlatched his harness. So when the student recovered from the spin, the IP was ejected through the canopy and badly injured. The student wasn't sure what was going, saw an empty backseat with a lot of **** flying around. Decided the IP must know something he didn't and bailed out, injuring his back or hip on the horizontal tail. The IP, for whatever reason, released at about 100' and fell to his death.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
According to what the IPs told us here, training used to call for the releasing of the chute when the individual was 10ft (or something like that)... appearently it was hazy that day and they think the IP misjudged his distance above the water when he released. The way we are taught now, we don't release until our feet touch the water.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zippy said:
According to what the IPs told us here, training used to call for the releasing of the chute when the individual was 10ft (or something like that)... appearently it was hazy that day and they think the IP misjudged his distance above the water when he released. The way we are taught now, we don't release until our feet touch the water.

Sounds suspect, considering it's impossible to tell altitude in a PLF as well as time a release.