• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 Texan II news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demento

Old Salt
Must be a Shoe

shoo24 said:
Although I have to admit the fact that ya'll can fly around in the -34 with the canopy open WWII style is def cool. I can't imagine how many times you have to blow your ears coming down from 25k though...

That was how the T-28 was air conditioned on hot days. The T-34C with a canopy open is part of an EP, since the exhaust flow into the cockpit makes for CO levels going up a bit, and forcing an O2 mask donning. T-34C's do not routinely operate with the canopy open.

I spent a few years as a 34 IP, trust me on that one.

Demento

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Propstop- yeah, we do cross countries as well. None solo, though. The number varies, because we have the option of making a lot of our INAV flights cross-countries... do they want to be there? I can tell you on no uncertain terms-- hell yes they do. We constantly have IPs badgering us-- 'hey, you want to go to Vegas for the weekend? Wanna go see some of your friends in San Antonio? Hey, don't you have family in DC? All I need is a student in the backseat, we'll make it our cross-country, no leave required... whaddaya say?' The IPs are all over it...

They definetely make us all sick during fams. It's not that hard, especially during aerobatics and you're not at the controls. Ehhh... it's part of the game. Once it's over, you're on the ground telling all your buddies over a beer about it.

TurnandBurn55

None
Demento- and it ain't stopped yet... we're using another AF platform (the T-1) to replace the -39 at CTW-6 soon as well. While the politics of it sucks, I'm not complaining that we get to try out all the shiny new stuff...

The USAF, of course, is getting the long-term benefits. The Chief of Staff recently said he wanted all Chair Force WSOs to be trained by the Navy here at Pcola, so their savings over time will eventually be better...

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Hey shoo,
He selects next week. I'll let you know. I got to do my AOA patterns the other day and I don't know what to make of them. I'll tell you what though, that night flying requirement for the navy is not cool.

Jointness or not, the navy Texans should still be orange and white!

beau

I've heard some rumors that the T-1 has a lot of quirky regs preventing it from being a good trainer for the navy........no night flying or something to that effect......and other stuff I cant remember........any truth??

petescheu

Demento-
I'm going to have to call you on some of those things you said, primarily the fact that the A/F has lost 5 T-6s. Not true, I believe the number is only one to date, and was actually the incident which you mentioned. The T-6s also don't blow tires all the time. I've only ever heard of it once, and that was on a for real ELP when they needed to stop on a shorter than normal runway. Like I was saying before, the T-6 can stop in 3000 feet easy (dry, of course), although I'm sure having beta would be a great addition, along with anti-skid. Never hurts. I flew on an 8000 ft runway and never had any issues or even came close to needing the whole runway. Call me out if I’m mistaken, but I believe at least some of the runways at Sherman are 8000 and I know 31L at Corpus is 8000. I’m not really too sure what the problem is with the Navy on that one and why we think we can’t land on 8000 feet.
I also didn't see the reluctance to train at night or do AOA approaches that you were talking about. I never got to do AOA approaches simply because there wasn't anyone there qualified to instruct on those. Since then, that's changed, and it's part of the syllabus for all the Navy students. I also got all the night hours the Navy required with no problems, they just extend all our night flights to 2.0s. But that's just me...
The T-45 is very unstable on the ground, and has a history of departing the prepared surface. I know someone who did a it few months ago but was able to keep control and come back around for a short field arrestment. I believe PAX is currently testing a stability/damping system for the NWS that helps with the problem a great deal. Also, the T-45 was a deal during the Carter Admin where we agreed to buy the Goshawk and they agreed to buy some of our subs. They backed out, go figure.

beau- Kids I talk to in the T-1 say it's a great a/c, especially when it comes to instruments and the avionics package. I don't know about that no night flying deal, I'll have to ask them about it, but I can't believe that.

vic- yeah doesn't it start to suck after about 1.8? At least when you get the yellow "end of mission" light you know it's all almost over, haha. The night "low level" is great though, go out to the east if you can, it's easy. Fly to the lights man... let me know how their track select is. just think man, only 6 more weeks and then it's your turn.

TurnandBurn55

None
shoo24 said:
Call me out if I’m mistaken, but I believe at least some of the runways at Sherman are 8000 and I know 31L at Corpus is 8000. I’m not really too sure what the problem is with the Navy on that one and why we think we can’t land on 8000 feet.

This is correct. The longest runway at Sherman is 7/25, which is 8000 on the money. Runway 01 is around 7100. I've also flown out of Pensacola Regional, which is right around 7000'. Plenty of runway to land a T-6 on either.

As a qualification, though, I've never landed full-stop on either. Most I've done is touch-and-go, so I can't speak as to how an SNA would do. But from experience, I can say there's more than enough, even at regional, to bring that sucker to a stop.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
beau said:
I've heard some rumors that the T-1 has a lot of quirky regs preventing it from being a good trainer for the navy........no night flying or something to that effect......and other stuff I cant remember........any truth??

Could this be because the T-1s at NASP are (in a way) on loan from AETC? We fly at night as much as we can here at Vance. I got 11.3 night hours in the program, which was more than I got in 34s.

And yes, the avionics in the T-1 are incredible, and now that we are entering the final phase of training we can use all the toys it has, so it just about becomes the so-called flying video game.

Demento

Old Salt
Not quite right, Shoo24

1. I am not the guy who said the AF lost 5 T-6's, go back and figure out who did. I only know about the ejection at Randolph.

2. Just because you only heard about one blown tire does not mean that you know it all. The AF has been operating the bird for over 3 years, and the Navy has been doing ODT & E on that exact issue. The 80 kts brake limitation, particularly with the lach of reverse thrust, is well documented.

3. About the Runways at NGP. The Instrument runway is 8000, the other parallel, which is the VFR runway used for homefield bounces is 5000 or 5500, I forget which, and is no problem. The outlying fields, particularly around Whiting, are the problem. The limitations are on solo flights, where more RWY is needed without beta, for "safety considerations." Your wisecrack about 8000 feet is irrelevant, the OLF's are not 8000 feet long.

Check out all the OLF's around Whiting and you will see what I am talking about. With 5000 feet, the solo requirement is met, with 4000 feet, the dual requirement is met. With anti lock brakes, beta, or both, you could go back to what the T-34 can do, which is stop on a dime and give you a nickel change. :D

4. The AoA approaches were a contentious issue between AF and Navy for years, and an AoA landing was in the original spec. Glad to hear you were the beneficiary of the bun fights on that score. Glad to hear you got the night time too. Hurrah!

Sorry to hear the T-45 is still squirrely on the ground, hope NAVAIR gets it, at long last, fixed.

-Demento

petescheu

Dmnto-
1. My bust on #1, I could have sworn you said that in your original post.
2. I never said I know it all. I said the T-6s don't blow tires all the time. And they don't. I spent 7 months with the A/F at one of the only two bases (A/F, that is) where they operate T-6s. In that entire time (the one emergency situation I mentioned as the exception) I never once discussed with IPs (who had over 1000 hours in the thing) or saw documented blown tires as any sort of issue with the aircraft, especially in the -1, 11-2T-6, FCIFs, PIFs, or SIFs, which pretty much are always changed when there is a major maintinence issue or mishap with the aircraft. Maybe that is with the Navy; in that case I'll pull my foot outa my mouth, but otherwise my position stands.
3. Our OLFs were not all 8000 feet long. Some were 5000, some were 3500. We still all soloed at least 6 times; A/F had no issues with that. I can see your point, and I understand with beta/ anti-skid you could stop on a dime, and yeah it would be really awesome to have, but I still don't see what the big deal is. Nice day, dry runway, stopping is not a problem.
4. I think they finally have that ironed out for the Navy kids there, Vic would be able to tell you more about that. I was glad to get the night time too, flying at night is a whole lotta fun. Plus VFR is really easy... pick towns and fly to the lights.
5. So do I.... supposedly that won't be for a long while though. Maybe I'll get to punch if i depart and get a martin baker patch along with two broken legs from the one swing in the shoot. That is if I don't eject into the ground, like i heard someone almost did before. Lucky for them the seat didn't fire due to the safety pin being broken off in the seat. Someone was lookin out for them...

Demento

Old Salt
Thanks

shoo24 said:
Dmnto-
3. Our OLFs were not all 8000 feet long. Some were 5000, some were 3500. We still all soloed at least 6 times; A/F had no issues with that. I can see your point, and I understand with beta/ anti-skid you could stop on a dime, and yeah it would be really awesome to have, but I still don't see what the big deal is. Nice day, dry runway, stopping is not a problem.

And on a wet day . . . *grin*

Thanks for the reply.

Demento

towbubba

boot 46 pilot

H20man

Drill baby drill!
lol yeah, look at how long the Comanche was in development, and that thing got scrapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.