• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 Texan II news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Shoo,
That damn tank is nasty! The weather has sucked for the last two weeks, so I've been doing "I" rides. I wish I knew what it was like to be in simulated instrument conditions. I'm only saying that cause I've been in the soup for every freaking ride. Went down to TLH today and shot four approches(2 ILS,1 VOR, 1 LOC). I think I like this instrument stuff!jaja

What's your status? How's that T-45? Is it pretty laid back, you know, compared to here? By the way, Heller got helos!

Patmack,
I can get the Texan stopped in a few hundred feet too! With two flat, flaming tires offcourse!

petescheu

Vic-
That's good buddy, being in the soup is what you want. I only had like one I-ride under real I-conditions, and it actually makes it a lot more fun. Although it is nice when the weather is good and you can look out the window on the way back while your IP flys. Instruments is real cool though in the -6 isn't it. Gotta love the composite mode. Go to JAX and NIP to get your PARs though as soon as you can, you don't want to be 2-checkin to Jax because you have to fill your requirements. Normally you'll only get one more approach in. The check profile to Jax is super $$ though, direct entry into holding, and the GPS approaches are so easy.
I start Friday my friend, I'll let you know then. I have been in the sim here though, the OFTs are about 3 times as big, pretty cool. The 45 is a lot more sensitive than the -6, I'll tell you that much at least. Thanks for the info on our B-Flighter. Any word on them adding beta down there to the planes or any more upgrades? I heard they were thinking of putting anti-skid on the brake system.
shoo
BTW, I got you both beat, I can stop the Texan in 10 feet. Not saying that it will ever fly again, but I could do it... haha.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
towbubba said:
I guess you have to stop that short when you land that long , eh? :eek:
OUCH, that is too dang funny!! Is that true Pat? Did you smoke check the brakes? Say it isn't so!!!

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Yeah, I'm also an SNFO training in the T-6, and it's a pretty sweet plane. I don't have enough time in the T-34 (read: one ride just for fun) to make an informed comparison, but having talked to a bunch of folks who have flown both, it's a big improvement... just being able to get up above 10,000 feet thanks to the OBOGS is worth it in and of itself. Plus the ejection seat and a more user-friendly trim system, including TAD for the rudder...

I'm honestly surprised that it'll take the guys up at Whiting so long to get the T-6, but I'll take Patmack's word for it. Right now they're saying about 70% of the new enrollees at Trawing-6 are getting it, which would make me guess the Navy has bought into the program, but go figure...

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
The T-34 has O2 and can fly up to 25000'. You'll climb up to thirteen in BI's. Do you guys in the T-6 actually fly it or do you ride in it? If so how many solos do you get and how many x's do YOU actually fly as PIC? Just curious to know how the other half lives.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Patmack18 said:
Hell no... Rodney there is just pissed cuz he can't hover the damn thing. Face it dude, you're never gonna get that Cobra! If they still had L-19's for FAC's that's where you'd be going! Oh snap... :)
Who the f*ck said you could call me "Rodney"? Are we drinkin buddies now? :icon_wink

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Yeah, I'm also an SNFO training in the T-6, and it's a pretty sweet plane. I don't have enough time in the T-34 (read: one ride just for fun) to make an informed comparison, but having talked to a bunch of folks who have flown both, it's a big improvement... just being able to get up above 10,000 feet thanks to the OBOGS is worth it in and of itself. Plus the ejection seat and a more user-friendly trim system, including TAD for the rudder..

dang pansies. :icon_tong the very basic stick-and-rudder aspect of the T-34 makes it the perfect right-of-passage bird. Next thing you know, you'll be telling me it has an autopilot.

petescheu

Actually it does- have an autopilot, that is. You know that monkey I was talking about that keeps the turbine running in the -6? The hooked on monkey phonics monkey? If you bring him enough bananas sometimes on long trips he'll come up to the front and take the stick for a bit and fly around. You have to glide while he does it, but at least you get a few minutes off before he has to go in the back and start it up again. At least our immediate airstart boldface is easy; "Banana- peel."
The -6 can go to 31,000 if I remember correctly; see we don't have to worry about our fuel boiling off (or our blood for that matter) when we get up that high- being pxized is real nice. Although I have to admit the fact that ya'll can fly around in the -34 with the canopy open WWII style is def cool. I can't imagine how many times you have to blow your ears coming down from 25k though...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
towbubba said:
The T-34 has O2 and can fly up to 25000'. You'll climb up to thirteen in BI's. Do you guys in the T-6 actually fly it or do you ride in it? If so how many solos do you get and how many x's do YOU actually fly as PIC? Just curious to know how the other half lives.

Allow me to correct myself. I knew the T-34 had O2, but it's in an 1800 psi bottle, correct? With us, there's an actual on-board oxygen-generating system (OBOGS), so there's no limit on oxygen unless the engine goes belly-up. Plus the cockpit's pressurized, too... so we're actually a lot more flexible than our T-34 counterparts. With a low ceiling, we just go up to 17,000' for spin entry and so forth, they just have to incomplete the flight.

As far the FO curriculum- I just finished FAMs... we get 6 flights at the controls, and we do pretty much all the same stuff you guys do in FAMs. No solo though :( After that we jump into the backseat and start doing air navs... and... uhhh, I haven't really looked to much further ahead in the syllabus, but as I understand it, I'm never PIC in the T-6 again, though we probably do get stick time. Once I get into the T-1/T-39 then the T-2, maybe, but I'm not sure. Hope that answers your question.

Shoo- that's correct, 31K is the Navy ceiling (though Raytheon says it can go higher than that)

petescheu

21,980? Aren't we getting a little close to the top of the area Vic? High areas SUCK for any contact ride. In fact, they suck period. Don't ever get one in form, you'll hate it. That advice is worth it's weight in gold, Vic my friend. BTW, has our C-flight compadre selected yet?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Hey TurnandBurn55, do you all do cross countries in the T-6 NFO pipeline? Do your pilot instructor pilots want to be there? Do the instructors take you out and do some whoop-dee-doos in the plane before you're exiled to the back seat?

Propstop

Demento

Old Salt
Fact or fiction?

Frumby said:
The T-6 is a beautiful bird. Ironic, the Navy started the program and it got shoved down the Air Force's throat in the name of "Jointness." What a turnaround. I'm sure the Navy is backing out in the name of funding but my personal opinion is they want the Air Force to work the bugs out. Last I heard the Air Force has lost 5 already. The Navy is still licking her wounds from the worthless T-45A "Chickenhawk," I'm sure she's not ready to test fly another Training Command aircraft. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Hi.

If you want a few facts to mix in with your speculations . . .

Based on such "wisdom" as the 1986 Goldwater Nichols Act and Sec Def Aspin's instructions to the Services regarding Joint Procurement policies, the Congressional and SecDef mandate was for USN and USAF to buy a common airframe and training system (sorta like how the T-45 was done) to replace the T-37 and T-34, which forced both services to join efforts for their "new primary trainers." Thus was "JPATS" born, Joint Primary Aircraft Training System. (Oh joy, more acronyms.) USAF wanted a jet, USN a turbo prop. The turbo prop is way cheaper to operate (T-34 ~ $400 per hour the T-6A ` $750 bucks per hour, the Tweet about $1200 per hour.)

The USAF forced the ejection seat issue and defeated the reverse thrust/Beta requirement. They have 10,000' runways, never have to stop quickly. The Navy recently gave up the beta fight, and is trying to get anti lock brakes on the T-6 to avoid blowing tires the way the AF has been. There are significant MILCON issues tied to lengthening runways to allow the T-6 to operate safely with SNA's at the wheel.

By default, not by desighn, the AF is bleeding to find out where the T-6 bugs are, but to attribute that to deliberate Navy policy is a stretch. It was a money thing. Sing "row row row your boat . . . " :D

AF lost a T-6 when the IP's at Randolph, on short final, killed the engine instead of, IIRC, dropping the flaps. The ejection seat is now op-tested, and it works good. :) Not aware of any other losses, maybe a Randolph savvy guy who reads here can elaborate.

During the 90's, the staffing fights were long and many. A Joint Syllabus was bought with the airplane, (the TS in JPATS = Training System) and disagreements on that still exist, to include the AF being reluctant to teach AoA approaches unless the Navy leans on them, not to mention their reluctance to train at night to the extent the Navy put into the Joint Requirements Document.

In 1999 or 2000, Big Navy chose to buy anything else than the T-6A: F-18E/F, Subs, Ships, all sorts of stuff. They pulled out of T-6, and deferred the buy. This ended up costing the USAF about 100K extra per aircraft. How nice and Joint, eh? They were understandably displeased. Hope all you Super Hornet Drivers are enjoying your birds, SNA's for the next 6 years are paying the bill for it by not flying a T-6. :p (Likewise the gents in the subs, hope you like your new boats.)

Somehow, via Congressional plus ups and some forced buys already laid down on the production line, a few dozen T-6's still got bought.

Here was the choice: Park brand new airplanes in the desert until about 2007 when the Whiting stand up is allegedly going to happen, or put the T-6 to work. CNATRA at the time (RADM Boyington) chose to "make lemonade" when handed a lemon, and what you see today is TW-6 using the T-6 to train NFO's rather than a bunch of nice new Navy Buno planes in preservation in the desert.

Navy Primary in the T-6 will depend on how clever NAVAIR and CNATRA are in accelerating the T-6 buy.

"Test fly a new aircraft?" TW-6 is already operating it, what are you talking about?

As to the T-45 "Chickenhawk," if you remember correctly, part of that buy was a NATO payoff to the Brits in trade for some other program back in the early 80's-90's, I forget which. It came around the same time as the Norwegian Penguin missile buy for the Shoes and the Lamps guys. I still remember articles in Naval Aviation news in the early 90's about "the five things we are still trying to fix on the T-45." Last I heard, the ground handling is still squirrely.

May your CEP be small.

Demento

Status
Not open for further replies.