• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swearing in

JJH

I'm swearing in on Friday to BDCP SWO college graduation in December 2009. Does anyone have any advice related to swearing in / signing documents?
Any recommendation will be helpful--Thanks

Renegade One

None
I'm swearing in on Friday to BDCP SWO college graduation in December 2009. Does anyone have any advice related to swearing in / signing documents?
Any recommendation will be helpful--Thanks

This ain't like signing an auto loan...read and UNDERSTAND the oath...it's your word as an honorable (wo)man and as a citizen. Once you say "...so help me God", there are LEGIONS of us who will expect you to fulfill your end of the bargain...come hell, high water, hard times, failed dreams, whatever. We're at war, after all. Popular opinion to the contrary...

Welcome to the profession of arms. :)

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I, name, do solemnly swear, (or affirm,) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. (So help me God.)

Note that the Oath does not state, "...that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States whenever I feel like it."

Something to keep in mind when the sh*t hits the fan because, inevitably, it will...

Congratulations!

bbf7b2

pilot
Since you're BDCP don't forget to bring your checkbook so they can take your account information for the direct deposit. Also I second what Lazers said, don't look like ass.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
I'm just curious, but you all are talking about swearing in for the BDCP, correct? I assume this as you wouldn't wear a suit to OCS commissioning but your uniform, of course. But the way everyone's posting about the suit, camera, and such, it sounds like a huge event to sign and take care of business. That's cool with me - I'm big on dressing up for important occasions and enjoying the little moments - it just caught me a little off guard. I guess I assumed that commissioning would be the big event, but I forgot that you do swear in before entering BDCP.

Congrats, JJH.

Lobster

I'm just curious, but you all are talking about swearing in for the BDCP, correct? I assume this as you wouldn't wear a suit to OCS commissioning but your uniform, of course. But the way everyone's posting about the suit, camera, and such, it sounds like a huge event to sign and take care of business. That's cool with me - I'm big on dressing up for important occasions and enjoying the little moments - it just caught me a little off guard. I guess I assumed that commissioning would be the big event, but I forgot that you do swear in before entering BDCP.

Congrats, JJH.

It is kind of a big event, the entire recruting office came out to hear me swear in, and my recruiter gave me a framed copy of the oath, my dad was there and took pictures. I mean surely a commissioning or a winging are much bigger deals but this was the begining of my career in the navy, something that I've wanted for years, so I looked sharp, brought the camera, and threw some gel in the hair haha.

NTXRockr

Awesome, that's good to know. I would've probably picked up on it before then but it's always good to know beforehand, right? That's the great thing about AW and other forums, we all get to learn from everyone else's lessons, mistakes, and accomplishments, etc. I'm getting more eager as the days pass by, and I haven't even taken the ASTB or sent in my packet yet.....speaking of which, I need to get back to studying, lol...

NTXRockr

As far as I've been told, yes they do. And they also count towards time in service as far as paygrade and other things. So an O-1 and an O-1 +2 years from BDCP both coming out of OCS will be the same rank, but the BDCP'er will have 2+ years pay as compared to none, and they only have 18 years left to retirement at 20 instead of the full 20, etc. The only thing I'm not sure of is if it counts towards your minimum time required (4-8 years depending on job)...

There may be more to it so others already in it or commissioned will answer your question further.

MasterBates

BDCP is the gift that keeps on giving. I get YOS raises 1-2 years ahead of my straight OCS, ROTC and USNA counterparts.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
As it was explained to me BDCP DOES NOT count towards retirement year for year but does count towards PAY. Technically under BDCP you are a reservist on Active Duty and thus accordingly your years towards retirement count that way. I asked a lot of questions about this and this is what they gave me on it.