• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swearing in

SWCS242

SWO in-training
As it was explained to me BDCP DOES NOT count towards retirement year for year but does count towards PAY. Technically under BDCP you are a reservist on Active Duty and thus accordingly your years towards retirement count that way. I asked a lot of questions about this and this is what they gave me on it.

It also does not count as your time in service, so we still have to do our 4 or 8, or whatever you signed for.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
It also does not count as your time in service, so we still have to do our 4 or 8, or whatever you signed for.

Exactly. Any of you prospective final selects should read and heed. Don't just sign without reading. You don't want to be the guy who gets to that 18 years to get the big surprise that you still owe them 2 for your 20.

MasterBates

I did BDCP for 2 years. They are credible for retirement. I owed a minimum of 8 years of commissioned service, like all Officers. I then owed 7 years post wings for being a helo pilot.

I can retire ~18 years after I commissioned. It's credible service as if I was prior enlisted, even though my "rating" was OC. And I did not do jack save keep my grades up and stay in shape.

PA-28III

Pro-Rec SNA with BDCP
This is kind of off subject, but when does back pay start accumulating? Is it after you final select, but before you swear in or whar?

m0tbaillie

Former SWO

Exactly. Any of you prospective final selects should read and heed. Don't just sign without reading. You don't want to be the guy who gets to that 18 years to get the big surprise that you still owe them 2 for your 20.

Bzztt wrong. Time in BDCP does count towards time in service. That is, it does not count towards your 4/8 year commitment, but it does count towards time in pay grade (for pay purposes, not promotions) and time towards retirement. Also, Lazers, I'm not sure what you're getting at with time in service as "active duty" vice "reserve" counting towards towards. Be it time spent AD or time spent in the reserves, both accured time towards retirement. Time in service is time in service. You could do 10 years active and 10 years reserve and still end up with a regular pension just like someone else who did 20 active.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Bzztt wrong. Time in BDCP does count towards time in service. That is, it does not count towards your 4/8 year commitment, but it does count towards time in pay grade (for pay purposes, not promotions) and time towards retirement. Also, Lazers, I'm not sure what you're getting at with time in service as "active duty" vice "reserve" counting towards towards. Be it time spent AD or time spent in the reserves, both accured time towards retirement. Time in service is time in service. You could do 10 years active and 10 years reserve and still end up with a regular pension just like someone else who did 20 active.

BZZT, I was trying to say that when you swear in and sign for 4 yrs active duty, the time you are in BDCP doesn't count as your 4 yrs active duty. For example, I signed for 4 yrs active duty and have 1 yr of BDCP. This does not mean I only have 3 yrs actual active duty since I did 1 of BDCP. I think that was quite clear, but I guess some people need it blatantly explained.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

Reserve time does not count the same as active duty time in service. You can't just serve 10 in the Reserves and 10 in Active and call it 20 like it was active duty. I'm just saying that I was told and I asked specifically about it that it did not count towards my 20 but did count for pay purposes.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Reserve time does not count the same as active duty time in service. You can't just serve 10 in the Reserves and 10 in Active and call it 20 like it was active duty. I'm just saying that I was told and I asked specifically about it that it did not count towards my 20 but did count for pay purposes.

I think we should wait for confirmation on this, because I know a retired Navy O-6 who did exactly what I said (he actually wrote me one of my LORs) - served 10 active, 10 inactive and then ended up with a pension a couple years ago.

Also, time in BDCP *does* count towards retirement. As SWCS said, it does not count towards your initial commitment, however. See what MB said:

I did BDCP for 2 years. They are credible for retirement. I owed a minimum of 8 years of commissioned service, like all Officers. I then owed 7 years post wings for being a helo pilot.

I can retire ~18 years after I commissioned. It's credible service as if I was prior enlisted, even though my "rating" was OC. And I did not do jack save keep my grades up and stay in shape.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I think we should wait for confirmation on this, because I know a retired Navy O-6 who did exactly what I said (he actually wrote me one of my LORs) - served 10 active, 10 inactive and then ended up with a pension a couple years ago.

Also, time in BDCP *does* count towards retirement. As SWCS said, it does not count towards your initial commitment, however. See what MB said:

I understand that but what I have is a conflict because I've been told that it doesn't by my recruiter and I don't have any written evidence to believe otherwise. I mean I'm not saying I don't believe what MB said but if I've got two conflicting answers from two credible sources it's kind of hard to know which one is right? As for Reserve vs Active time and how it counts towards 20 I've always heard that Reserve counts less.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I understand that but what I have is a conflict because I've been told that it doesn't by my recruiter and I don't have any written evidence to believe otherwise. I mean I'm not saying I don't believe what MB said but if I've got two conflicting answers from two credible sources it's kind of hard to know which one is right? As for Reserve vs Active time and how it counts towards 20 I've always heard that Reserve counts less.

It's Saturday, go get a beer...you like beer yea? I've got this Bavarian Double Bock right now that is so thick and dark it tastes like friggin' chocolate milk.

MasterBates

My DIEMS date on my LES's is August 11 2000.

That's the date I swore into BDCP.

When I check my junk at BUPERS, guess when my retirement eligible date is? September 1st 2020