• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Surviving military aviation Chapter 1: What not to do

dilbert123

pilot
I had an off-wing flight with a girl that was doing average if not better. We finished up the high work and spun our way down and entered the landing pattern. After the spin(s) and a few laps in the bumpy pattern, the stud passed me the controls for a moment. I flew the pattern, figuring she needed a drink watched her head go down a little bit and then looked like she was working on something up front. Finally she took the controls from me and we pressed. I asked what was going on up there and she said she got sick but was ready...and in less than one lap around the pattern. We completed the hop and she progressed. Impressive boot and rally.

As an instructor at VT-1 oh so many years ago I had a Marine student who would get sick at the oddest times. He would do great during high work, spins, aerobatics but would sick up in the landing pattern or something equally odd. Turns out he had an inner ear problem, had surgery, came back through with no problems and went on to get his wings. Always felt for him as he was a good guy and trying hard, glad to hear that there was a reason for his nausea and was able to get past it. Sometimes things are just beyond your control. But he hung in there and rode it out. Had my respect for sure.

A buddy of mine had a student vomicate all over himself and the cockpit. Ol' Dave thought the stud had a bagfull still in the cockpit and told him to open the canopy and throw it overboard because of the strong smell. Dave wasn't thinking properly and had his section of the rear canopy open as well to evacuate the smell and the student who, rather than having a full barf bag had a handful instead, throws it over the side and the draft carried the "liquid" right into the rear cockpit and into Dave's face. He said there were little pieces of ham trickling down his visor along with a yellow-green liquid. Dave got the dry heaves, the student couldn't land the aircraft so Dave called home and asked for a straight in to the nearest runway. Home field thought that there was someone about to die in flight from the sound of Dave's transmissions while heaving and called all the emergency vehicles on the field to meet them on rollout with a very smelly airplane. It took the student a while to clean the cockpits. Ah, memories.

dilbert123

pilot
My apologies to Gatordev. I tried to quote him in the above post and apparently hit the wrong button. The first paragraph is Gator's and the other two are mine. Sorry for being so inept.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fixed it for you.

As you no doubt know, the sick would often come in the pattern AFTER the high work. I always found it interesting how the brain/inner ear works on a delay.

MasterBates

Only times I've been sick in the plane was on the backside of IUT flights in the Turboweenie and once in the back of an E-2 on a FCLP flight.

In the E-2 it was the walking up the tube, bent over and heads down while another dude is in the crosswind and changing the controls.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

MasterBates

And yes, it was SOP in the E-2 to have a guy out of his seat, while another was getting out of his seat, all at 600'.

I'm not a safety Nazi, but it never struck me as the best way to do things, switching seats in a congested pattern. If you had a prop malfunction or dual engine failure, the guys out of their seats would be fucked.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And yes, it was SOP in the E-2 to have a guy out of his seat, while another was getting out of his seat, all at 600'.

I'm not a safety Nazi, but it never struck me as the best way to do things, switching seats in a congested pattern. If you had a prop malfunction or dual engine failure, the guys out of their seats would be fucked.

Wing SOP outlawed that for the side to side swaps sometime in 2006/07, front to backs were still legal though. I still can't believe we did the side to side swaps like that in VRC land until then. Fentress isn't the best place to be doing that...

blackbart22

pilot
Had a roommate in Kingsville when I was instructing who had washed out of flight training for chronic airsickness. Mother Navy ever compasionate sent him to VT-21 as PAO. However, he would bag rides in the backseat of the F-9 if we had an empty one on a regular hop. The only empty back seats were on various tactics hops as the T had worse spin characteristics than the single seater, so the instructor flew the T. I've had him in the back seat when the only times we were at 1 G and level was takeoff and landing and he never hurled. Just the opposite of everyone else that I knew. The Docs said it was psychosomatic, but couldn't correct it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My old roommate from Corpus was a 5'9" 240lb muscle bound Marine, a former collegiate wrestler and football player. He had a very difficult time in primary, this is circa 94-95 so it's on the old grading system. Well he barely makes it through then goes to helo training, what he wanted from the get go. He almost finishes the program, has like 5 flight left in advanced. He had a total of 4 downs by this time (3 primary, 1 advanced) and on this particular flight, some sort of issue between he and the IP came about. I think it had to do with a frequency change but I think the issue went back beyond that. Bill was a Marine but not a gung ho Marine and it's my understanding this particular IP was a gung ho Marine. Anyway, whatever caused it, when they got back to the debrief, the IP informed Bill he was getting a down for OLQ and Bill lost it. I've heard different versions but Bill told he he simply body slammed the IP up against the briefing room wall. If this 5th down didn't do it, I'm pretty sure the body slam was the nail in the coffin...and it was.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard different versions but Bill told he he simply body slammed the IP up against the briefing room wall. If this 5th down didn't do it, I'm pretty sure the body slam was the nail in the coffin...and it was.

Fer sure, there are/will be times all through flight training, when patience, thick skin & massive doses of (un)common sense are a must. One lapse in judgment can be a dream-killer, especially in today's competitive environment, coffin nail-wise.:oops:
BzB

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Ahh...well that seems like a bullshit reason for a down. At least make something up about why his flying sucks?

Not sure what I would do if Wrestlemania XXI broke out next to me in a briefing room.