• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Gear and Preparation...

Lawman

None
A tampon works wonders. It will plug a 7.62 round quite well. Tampon with super-glue will replace the sacs of quick-clot you have stored up.

Ever try to jam one into a profusely bleeding bullet hole? Not saying it wont work, but there are far more useful and effective tools currently in the box of tricks available to you. And they will work on not only bullet holes but other wounds as well or better than a swollen piece of cotton. I tell my dad about some of the cool stuff that battlefield medicine has developed in just the last few years and he just goes into a "damn we could have used that" moment (Retired Med Tech).

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Last helo that went down around Norfolk was a 53. One of the crewmembers was wearing a drysuit with no liner underneath. Damn near froze to death (but he was dry).

Wore them several times in North Atlantic but the absurdity of wearing a "dry" suit that depended upon the survivor staying dry to work on a crew that punches out through the canopy was not lost on us.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wore them several times in North Atlantic but the absurdity of wearing a "dry" suit that depended upon the survivor staying dry to work on a crew that punches out through the canopy was not lost on us.

I remember we briefly debated wearing them on our Translant back from OIF, the command consesus was that you would freeze before SAR got to you whether you were wearing one or not.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only wore the drysuit a few times, doing C2X off Norfolk in January. CAG sayeth and so it shall be done. Gotta say, while I did feel like Ralphie's little brother walking to the plane, I was nice and warm.

XO said it was the first time he'd ever worn his flying, but wore it all the time deer hunting (dual advantage of keeping warm & dry and keeping down your scent).

The "silky" long underwear they're issuing at NIACT (PolarTec, I think) isn't bad for under the bag. Keeps you pretty warm without adding bulk. I'd certainly take them, and the matching jimmy-hat cap, with me for flying in-theater.

Combat necessities aside, give thought to how you pack your "bingo bag" as well. More than one dude has found himself stuck in a godforsaken divert field without so much as a toothbrush and clean skivvies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
And yet perfectly legal per OPNAV.

OPNAV just says it needs to be worn IAW the PRs' manual. Which, to be honest, I'm not too familiar with. I just know it doesn't make much sense to wear only a t-shirt underneath it. Might as well just not wear the stupid thing at all.

For the winter I do love my aramid thermals. Always kept a pair in my locker.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I remember we briefly debated wearing them on our Translant back from OIF, the command consesus was that you would freeze before SAR got to you whether you were wearing one or not.

Yep, were were operating around the boat so there was a fair chance you would get picke dup with a reasonably short time. Short enough? Likely not off Norway where life expectency in a working dry suit was 15 minutes but we did what they said. Might have been nice if you were sitting on a glacier and we did fly some nice low levels over norway while there.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dunno...the poopie suit sucks, but I'd take 15 mins' survival time over the 30 seconds or so you get without one.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I dunno...the poopie suit sucks, but I'd take 15 mins' survival time over the 30 seconds or so you get without one.

Has anyone ever researched the dehydration/tiring aspect of wearing wetsuits/drysuits, and the potential decrease in performance vs the increased survivability in case of a crash?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone ever researched the dehydration/tiring aspect of wearing wetsuits/drysuits, and the potential decrease in performance vs the increased survivability in case of a crash?

You volunteering to be a test subject? ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot

3710 makes mention of it. It basically says that the previously established mins for crew day/rest might have to be adjusted.

exhelodrvr

pilot
You volunteering to be a test subject? ;)

I remember being completely drained after a 7+ hour flight where the air temp was approx 70, water temp in the upper 50's (so I was wearing the wetsuit); I'm sure that the last half of the flight the likelihood of a mishap was increased due to fatigue.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I remember being completely drained after a 7+ hour flight where the air temp was approx 70, water temp in the upper 50's (so I was wearing the wetsuit); I'm sure that the last half of the flight the likelihood of a mishap was increased due to fatigue.

I've done a few 5+hr hops in the drysuit. It was pretty exhausting even when the air temp was cold outside. I'd always bring along a lot of gatorade.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That's the thing, though. The thing is barely tolerable without long johns underneath. With thermals, the suit, and a bullet-bouncing survival vest, flying is like wearing a Cosby sweater in a sauna.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Some people have mentioned getting a different type of holster, especially since we can take our vests off in flight but need to have our firearm with us. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, it seems like it'd get really bulky having the M9 on our already crowded vests. I was thinking a drop-leg type holster.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some people have mentioned getting a different type of holster, especially since we can take our vests off in flight but need to have our firearm with us. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, it seems like it'd get really bulky having the M9 on our already crowded vests. I was thinking a drop-leg type holster.

The problem with a drop holster is you need a belt to go with it, and it doesnt seem to fit with many cockpit seats certainly not the Cobra.

I like the Galco shoulder holster, I wear it around the squadron spaces and under my body armor vest when flying (pistol and mag pouches out over the armor. I would recommend getting the magazine pouches set in the horizontal vice vertical, In the course of flying I had the snap come loose and drop a mag on my right console area. Also I think that a belt on a flight suits looks really bad.

When on my FAC tour I used the drop holster attached to the belt on my cammie trousers and that worked well, allowed me to shed the flak but keep the pistol.