• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Surfing in P-cola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkonomics

From looking at a map, it doesn't look like there's any surfing in P-cola. It looks like the various Carribbean islands would soak up any incoming waves. I already know my gun would be useless (anyone want a 7'4" big gun cheap?), but I'm wondering if I should bring my garage door?

Thanks

jwnole

I grew up in Pensacola and on what is commonly referred to as the Lake of Mexico and you are right: There is almost no surfing. There is however an abundance of really good protected water for things like waterskiing adn wakeboarding. If I were you, I would trade in my board for a wakeboard and find someone with a boat. You can go April to November without a wetsuit and most winter days in a shorty. Good luck.
-jw

tali264

That brings up a good point. Who around here has a boat we can all use to go skiing (besides Ghost)?

tali264

LOL......fair enough

I looked at your profile and saw you are switching from USN to USMC. Are you in the application process?

Since you grew up in Pensacola, is there lots of stuff to do there? I go to OCS May 31 and was thinking of going down there for a couple weeks before. But if there isn't much to do, I might as well stay here.

Thanks

jwnole

I am in the app. process. Just started my MC app mid December. Navy paperwork was killing me. Now its the Marine Corps pft. As far as activities, we are about the average city, With great beaches. If you want to enjoy the beach this year, its best to do it before ocs. We have been having late summer red tides an jellyfish for the past couple of years. They start about Sept. As for letting strangers ski, odds are we won't all be strangers forever. Might as well have some fun while we got the time.

jwnole

Pretty much, specifically in the medical dept. And my OSO really seems to be on the ball with my package, unlike my USN recruiter. Essentially I would rather be a Marine than face the USN waiver board. Especially since the recruiter I was working with did not seem to know how one would go about applying for a waiver. A word to you all.. Your Medical History should never be volunteerd.
If asked, do not lie. If unsure, deny.

I am such a poet
-jw

tali264

So you don't have to get a waiver in the MC for something you would have to with the Navy? What is it? I guess I just assumed both would pretty much be the same.

LOL.....ok, you can call yourself a poet if you want. But if I were you, I would keep working on that MC application
tongue_125.gif
hehe just kidding

Kimphils Girl

My brother said that there is some good surfing in Sebastian, Florida. Hope this helps!

Stay strong kimphil! Its only a mind game!

jwnole

Ever see Shawshank redemption? The scene where Andy and Red frst meet and Red asks Andy what he did to get into prison. Andy says something like "actually I'm innocent" Red laughs and says every man in that prison was wrongly convicted as far as they're concerned, except Andy really is innocent. I feel kind of like Andy. When I was a kid, I got a cold. I had trouble running sprints after football practice. I was 9. Doctor said "you might have athsma" and wrote it down. That is where my problem began. As it turned out, I never had any other problems despite being very physically active for the rest of my life. When asked in my initial interview over two years ago If I had a history of athsma, knowing that it might be in my med docs, I said maybe. Big mistake. I never had it, but for all the Navy cares, I am npq. So like Andy DuPhrene, I am being penalized for something that is entirely inaccurate. I could complain, instead I'll be a Marine and maybe fly 18's off a boat anyway.

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'

jw

tali264

First, GREAT movie!! Definitely quote worthy

Second, that really sucks you never had anything really wrong with you. Did you try going to any other recruiters instead? Your guy sounds like an idiot. I think I remember reading on here once about an asthma thing and if it was a certain number of years old that it didn't matter. Not sure though, you would have to do a search. I would look for you, but my connection for the next week is slow and I would be sitting here all night. Not that it matters anymore if you want to be a Marine (they do have the better uniform
spin_125.gif
)How far are you on your application with the Marines? Are you still in school or have you graduated already?

jwnole

Graduated from FSU spring 2002. Need a few LORs and a high PFT and my app will be done. Shooting for mid April. Board meets in Aug for the Oct OCS at Quantico.

Kemphil's Girl- Sebastian if I am correct is near Daytona about 9 hrs from here. When it storms off the Yucatan the surf goes up in Panama City and sometimes P-cola.

thanks all
jw

vballindaytona

Daytona sucks, mostly knee to waist waves, a little more south i.e. sebastian inlet, or ponce inlet you get an average of chest high and an occasional head high wave.

down by key west.....................wait a minute...................with all that booze and beautiful scenery, just sit on the damn beach with a margarita, screw the waves. ;)

Jonathan

funkonomics

for my own edification, no surfing in P-cola (thought that might be the case), but maybe in Sebastian 9 hours away??? looks like I have a couple of boards to sell

Status
Not open for further replies.