• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Surfing in P-cola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkonomics

I tried kite-boarding in maui: fun, fun, fun...except for having to walk back (never got tacking down). Are there any small creeks, inlet, estuaries that feed into the bay/gulf? What I was thinking is to fill-in/dig (depending on conditions) a SMALL water-way to create a "shelf" that would cause a stationary wave...much like some waterparks have for wave-pools; or, are there any wave pools?

jwnole

Escambia river and Blackwater river (both good skiing) feed into Escambia Bay and Blackwater Bay. Those bays meet to form Pensacola Bay which emptys into the gulf right across from NAS. Dozens of small creeks for canoeing and such. Kitesurfing at the beach (soundside). Its a five minute walk from the soundside of Santa Rosa Island (P-cola Bch) th the gulfside. Dozens of bayous also good for ski/wakeboarding. Bayou grande laps the shores of Sherman Field. My regular routine used to be to ski there tues. mornings while the Blues practiced. Good stuff.

grouch

If you go and jack up my estuaries for surfing, I'll break your toe. That is prime redfish territory and I won't have you screwing up my fishing. As far as creeks go, that is where the baby tarpon grow up. Can't have that either. Like I said, kiteboarding. Learn it real good then teach me!

grouch

Right. Just go skiing through my skinny water and I'll put a 1/0 clouser in the back of your head.

tali264

I think that threat would be more effective if I actually knew what you were talking about. LOL.........speak English - not fishing.

And you wouldn't have time to hit me/us with anything. We would be by so fast you would just get sprayed with water while we were passing through your sacred water
icon_smile_wink.gif

ghost_ttu

reminds me of a time my youngest brother 15 was wakeboarding behind the boat and I was well clear of a fishing boat and he goes over there on the wakeboard (thinking he knew the people) and nearly sprayed the guys fishing. I thought they were going to kill him. It was funny though.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

funkonomics

My idea of "make-your-own-waves" seems to be lost on some. The bodies of water referenced sound MUCH to big to fill in. I'm more interested in stagnant lagoon type things where a channel can be made through the sand to cause either the stagnant, don't-go-swimming-in-there, water to flow to the gulf, or vice-versa. We do this with the San Lorenzo river in Santa Cruz in the summer when the waves barely make it up to your waist. The river flows to a certain point, then becomes "damned" by the sand. When it rains, the river naturally breaches and flows to the ocean. We get a couple of guys/gals and push enough sand to the side to allow the river flow to the ocean; it usually only last a couple of hours at most.

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
Funk,

Having grown up in San Clemente, CA and Hawaii, the beaches and waves in P-cola seemed pretty sad to me. Sorry, no place to make your own schliterbahn in P-Cola. Being from Cali you might appreciate this. I always found it hilarious what they considered "red flag" conditions at the beach. In Cali red flag means imminent death if you enter the water (also read as great waves, if rideable), but in P-cola they bust out the red flag anytime it gets above two feet.
Also, don't sell your boards!!!! You can always use them later. Every once in a while you will get a freak swell out on the sand bars that are half way decent. I suggest a short board or a body board. The water is shallow on the bars (almost like a beach break), not too kind to long boards. Bodysurfing is also a possibility. Oh yeah, watch the sharks. The bulls are some mean braddahs!

Q

Marine Helo Pilot

funkonomics

Q

Thanks for the input. Sounds like soft-top territory in Fl. I'm gonna have to remember the sand bars. That's funny how they bring out the red flag for anything. As a rule, I usually don't make it to our red flag days. For all of the grannola (sp?) eating hippies in Santa cruz, one would think they would treat their waste run-off from storms
banghead_125.gif
. Going out in a, or right after, a storm turns one into a bacterial biology experiment (it keeps Kaiser on their toes though). Gonna have to get used to sharks. Here we get seasonal whites from Frisco North. No problem there, if one bites, you usually don't make it anyway. I hear those bulls usually swim away with a limb.

jwnole

HA! The deal with red flag days here is directly related to sandbars and Canadians. Here the soft quarz sand makes a constantly shifting sandbar which is easily broken, creating a riptide. These riptides wash away a few Canadians each year. If you know how to escape a riptide they are really no big deal. Also rough surf on P-cola beach is not any fun to play in anyway. It is just a choppy mess.

funkonomics

yeah, i think they have a one-armed waiver. they just slap a shortened tailhook onto your stub, that way you can just stick your arm/leg out of the canopy when you're looking to trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.