• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summary of Panel Nav in San Antonio

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
ip,

API is 6 weeks vice 4... time in VT-10 (-4 as well) is about the same... my roommate is getting through in about 4 months and some change.

The problem isnt so much time in each phase... moreso that there are huge waits between phases. Like I sat in P-cola for almost 7 months before starting pre-flight. Had I jumped right into API when I got down here, I'd be in the middle of intermediate instead of waiting for primary.

Sabre170

None
3rd week of class really started on Tuesday. We had Computer based training and intro to navigation. Don't sweat it... drink the coolaid and learnt he new wiz wheel. After a while you will learn it and will get really good at it. Things for us (the Navy guys) picked it up real fast. Our next test is Nav/Weather combined and will be on Wednesday... Oh yea, the way they want you to plot your points is a little different in the way we learned it in API... the lady (civilian instructor) kept saying... do it the Air Force way... They want us to put both ends of the divider on the chart, slide the plotter up against the divider then draw a line... I just rather line up the plotter with the points and draw my line...

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Sabre170 said:
They want us to put both ends of the divider on the chart, slide the plotter up against the divider then draw a line... I just rather line up the plotter with the points and draw my line...

Don't worry much about it. Once you get past IN, they don't really care how you plot your stuff as long as you look like you know what you're doing and you're accurate in your fixes. The whole process is annoying here, but it will be over soon enough. We just have to deal with the Air Farce way for a little while and then we'll be back into what we used to know.

Sabre170

None
This last week was more of the same. Wiz Wheel, and general NAV stuff (lat and Long) True Course +/- Mag Var = True heading etc.. The Introduction to Navigation (IN) test was 34 problems and we had 1.5 hours to complete the test. Our class avg was 97. We started Fundamentals of Navigation (FN) after the IN Test. FN will last approx 2.5 weeks and we will have several SIMS and a few flights in this period. Our next test will be the EP test and once everyone passes it, we will earn the right to wear of flight suits again... I can't wait. I will quote the VT-4 XO "... anytime you don't get to wear green pajamas to work it sucks..."

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Sabre170 said:
FN will last approx 2.5 weeks and we will have several SIMS and a few flights in this period.

FN will be over a month, not 2.5 weeks. You'll take your EP test in about 2.5 weeks.

Sabre170

None
Our section took the EP test today, all passed and we (the two Navy guys earned the right to wear our flight suit again. We have our first two SIMS this week. Approach and Departure sims (glorified 2b47) from what it looks like... more of a checklist and better consols instead of a computer screen.
Last week we had three chapters of electronic warfare (basic terms etc..) and the T43 tour.

I was told that P'cola will be sending guys down here again after the test class of 15 to go straight to Jax. Also they will be only classing up three Navy per class vs the four that are being classed up now.

Last class to graduate, all four Navy went P3.... for those interested in selection trends.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Hmm, I heard that the move to p'cola was to be permanent. Of course, that's just gouge flying around, so I probably won't know for certain until I finish primary.

JayManC

yeah that was bad juju, the memo we heard for the revamping of the test sounds brutal, luckily i didn't have to take it. something about fill-in-the-blanks, might as well make it bold face. personally i'd rather have bold face. at least in p-cola they gave you the test and ops limits to study instead of trying to memorize every note, warning and caution in the -2

fred_flintstone

SEVAL Extraordinaire
I heard that all single folks have to live in the BOQ when they report to Randolph, and the only ways to not get stuck living there are to have a cat or dog, or, if the Q is full when you check in, you can live off-base. I have become good friends with BAH, and wouldn't like to see the air force take it away if I get sent there. Can anyone clarify?

JayManC

hey fred, no joy on the dog or cat thing. i tried that when i got here, i have a 70lb dog and was told "you aren't going to be here that long (6 months), I'm sure you can find someone to take care of it" kinda insensitive i thought, but given that my parents were looking after her i let it slide. i do however, know of people who took it to the co/xo and were told differently. no harm in trying.

jreynard

If you are single you will be more than likely living in the dorms. Depending on how good a BS'er you are you could plead your case to the command and they might help you but you have to have a better reason than a pet. And to add my 2 cents about training down here with the AF.......I WANT TO GO BACK TO THE NAVY! They micro manage everything to death, at least in my flight. Very annoying!

Sabre170

None
Yes, Panel Nav was my first choice. I was not in the class with the test incident.

As of the last couple weeks, nothing new except more Planning and working on charts/logs. We had our first Computer Ground Mission today and the second tomorrow. They are not bad, just another 2B47 type of deal, but you get to tell the pilot to turn the plane... you don't have to push the buttons and make a mistake and turn left instead of right. We have our FN test this week, should be fun. No new rumors this week.