• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Subic Bay

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question guys, in the book Flight of the Intruder there's a part set at a bar in Cubi where there was a "landing simulator" set up where the "pilot" would end up in the river if he didn't catch the wire. Was this based on fact or just created by Coonts for the book?

Thanks,

Tex

Yes, this was run behind the Cubi O'Club and NAS Miramar that I saw.

After a few drinks, it was harder than it looked.

My Favorite PO line: "Are you in, are you in, are you in???....oh you are...oh, you so beeeg!!!"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Question guys, in the book Flight of the Intruder there's a part set at a bar in Cubi where there was a "landing simulator" set up where the "pilot" would end up in the river if he didn't catch the wire. Was this based on fact or just created by Coonts for the book?

Thanks,

Tex
I (vaguely) remember the scene in the movie ... it was BASED on the real-deal @ the CUBI 'O Club bar .... top of the hill --- no river .... just a pool of sludge ... but it--the movie scene --- left much to be desired in terms of reality. :)

Is the "simulator" still alive and well @ the CUBI bar mock-up @ Pensacola Museum ... ???

Checking Scnugg's post .... I don't remember a Miramar "simulator" ... when did that come about ????

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Below is great article on the history of the "Cubi Cat."

http://www.usna63.org/tradition/history/CubiCat.html

Good link on the cat, CAT ..... :eek:

CUBI Point (children and juniors please note ... I used all caps in CUBI ... as it was originally designated such after its creator ... Construction Unit Battalion 1, ... i.e., CUBI Point) ... but we still have work to do with our F-4 brethren even after all these years have passed us by :D....

The last CO of CUBI ... callsign BOXMAN ..... the REAL "BOXMAN" named in Flight of the Intruder (or at least the namesake for the book character) .... was personally responsible for the
salvage and removal from CUBI, the crating, the shipping, and the delivery to NPA of an irreplaceable part of Naval Aviation history:

The CUBI 'O Club bar ..... with most of its accoutrements.

MANILA TIMES ARTICLE on the CUBI bar making it's way to a new "home".

BZ .... shipmate and BOXMAN.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CUBI Point (children and juniors please note ... I used all caps in CUBI ... as it was originally designated such after its creator ... Construction Unit Battalion 1, ... i.e., CUBI Point) ... but we still have work to do with our F-4 brethren even after all these years have passed us by :D....
Oh, the humanity! How will I ever be able to restore my dignity after such a faux pas? :(
(I suppose I'll have to wear the squadron Delta Sierra award around for the day, huh? :clown_125 )

I haven't been to the CUBI Bar exhibit at the Museum. But last summer my neighbor with family visited there. He said his teenage son came running over to him to say he had "found Cat's name" on one of the plaques.

It's nice to know I'm now a museum piece. :bigeyes2_

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Regarding the cat/trap "simulator"....Some enterprising JO apparently built a ramp, jet and arrsting gear/wire set up and had it up and running at NAS Miramar. Miss the wire end up in the pool. It was blast to watch.

This was pre-Tailhook days during the pre-cursor to Tomcat Ball...the Foc'Sle Follies week of events. I saw it at the club on a night Jimmy Buffet showed up and played a set with RADM "Red" Best.

Fudge

Subic Bay...

Yep,

Those posts bring back some memories. My first foreign port on my first deployment (ABE WESTPAC '91) was Subic Bay. It was an adult Disney Land. I went back a couple of years ago, one a/c P-3 det for an exercise. It was pretty sad to see how bad the remains of the base looked. I think they called it Subic Bay Port Authority or something. Anyway, I had been bragging to my crew about my that first deployment and when we got there...it sucked. Luckily, I talked our PI Navy liason into getting my crew into something that resembled the past. After a short drive, we arrived to what appeared to be what I was looking for. It was a great time but jesus did it cost a hell of a lot more than the '91 visit!

The closest you can get to that is probably Pattaya Beach, Thailand...I never made it to Bangkok...but Pattaya is pretty damn wild...

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

The last CO of CUBI ... callsign BOXMAN ..... the REAL "BOXMAN" named in Flight of the Intruder (or at least the namesake for the book character) .... was personally responsible for the
salvage and removal from CUBI, the crating, the shipping, and the delivery to NPA of an irreplaceable part of Naval Aviation history:

The CUBI 'O Club bar ..... with most of its accoutrements.

MANILA TIMES ARTICLE on the CUBI bar making it's way to a new "home".

BZ .... shipmate and BOXMAN.

Boxman was an A6 B/N. He was the CO of the Naval Aviation Safety School after his tour as CO of Cubi. He has awesome stories to tell about the shut down. I had the good fortune of going on a weps det with Boxman in early 1980.