• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Saw that from Sub Command Distribution handed out to MIDN at the Naval Academy. Similar distribution was given to Nuke SWO. The figure for that was +$400,000. Nuke SWO serve slightly less at 5.5 years as min service requirement. FYI, I’m not a MIDN.
I think you misread something. I haven't done the comparison between sub pay and flight pay, but I suspect it's not $400k+ over an initial commitment.

The nuke continuation bonus is higher and can be obtained starting after 5 years of service with a DH tour commitment vice 10ish for aviators. But even then, that's a difference of $175k. Perhaps that's what you're referring to?

IRfly

None
You're learning a valuable lesson very early: the Navy fucks everyone. Some sooner, some later, some gentler, some rougher. But everyone gets fucked. The fucking increases in frequency and intensity as you go higher in rank. At some point, some few learn to look back over their shoulders, smile, and ask for more.

We call them "admiral."

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
You're learning a valuable lesson very early: the Navy fucks everyone. Some sooner, some later, some gentler, some rougher. But everyone gets fucked. The fucking increases in frequency and intensity as you go higher in rank. At some point, some few learn to look back over their shoulders, smile, and ask for more.

We call them "admiral."

I remember looking a few former DHs in the eye post command, and we had a chance to sit down and talk about their career path. They always put a good, professional spin on things, but the look in their eyes told the truth and played hugely into my decision to depart the pattern after DH.

It's not for everyone. The USN for me was like a college girlfriend who is a lot of fun in the beginning, but emotionally abusive and traps you if you hang out long enough.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember looking a few former DHs in the eye post command, and we had a chance to sit down and talk about their career path. They always put a good, professional spin on things, but the look in their eyes told the truth and played hugely into my decision to depart the pattern after DH.

It's not for everyone. The USN for me was like a college girlfriend who is a lot of fun in the beginning, but emotionally abusive and traps you if you hang out long enough.
Agreed. I was legitimately on the fence during my DH tour, and I asked several former CO mentors plus my two most recent front offices if they enjoyed their command tours/would recommend it, and all but one said no. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my Navy career (still am) and I miss the flying, but my quality of life is way up post lat transfer.

IRfly

None
I need to correct myself--many of those guys getting raw-dogged by Papa Navy are still called "Captain," thanks to Tommy Tubs!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
eskimo brothers

So I knew exactly what you meant, but had no idea why, so I had to look it up. And apparently the initial people of pop-culture that coined this didn't even know it was an actual thing!

Some Inuit and Aleutian peoples have been described as practicing limited and organized forms of spouse exchange, which led to a misconception that Inuit men “lent” their wives freely, but it does not appear that the creators or cast of The League were aware of or alluding to this fact.

But perhaps my favorite part of this educational trip down internet lane...

"Ranker.com has a list of celebrity Eskimo brother pairs that includes [...] and, in a bit of a stretch, Kermit the Frog and Josh Groban..."

Random8145

Reading all this reminds me of that song:

"I joined the Navy, to see the world!
But what did I see, I saw the sea...
I joined the Navy, to see the girls!
But what did I see....? I saw the sea....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Getting to be one after you get out is even better.

Having said that, I would not trade my time in service.
strokes majestic retired guy beard

For me, I had the weird experience of getting myself back on the golden path in SELRES land, but then looking at the ROI for bucking for O-6+ and just going "nope." First go be a CO for no additional pay and a hell of a lot more work for a "part-time" job. Then wash/rinse/repeat for 3-5 more years to be able to even retire as an O-6. While simultaneously getting older, and realizing I was actively ducking any sort of medical care beyond a yearly PHA/flight physical in case they found something Big Navy didn't like, which was really a dumb thing to be doing. And then on top of that, say I did make flag? Congratulations, your life is now out of your hands as well as probably your civ career, because there's an even money chance you're going to get sent to Pearl or Naples or someplace odd to go be some deputy J-something or other.

Nope. I'll take my O-5 pension and TRICARE when I'm old, and try to make my own money in the private sector

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
strokes majestic retired guy beard

For me, I had the weird experience of getting myself back on the golden path in SELRES land, but then looking at the ROI for bucking for O-6+ and just going "nope." First go be a CO for no additional pay and a hell of a lot more work for a "part-time" job. Then wash/rinse/repeat for 3-5 more years to be able to even retire as an O-6. While simultaneously getting older, and realizing I was actively ducking any sort of medical care beyond a yearly PHA/flight physical in case they found something Big Navy didn't like, which was really a dumb thing to be doing. And then on top of that, say I did make flag? Congratulations, your life is now out of your hands as well as probably your civ career, because there's an even money chance you're going to get sent to Pearl or Naples or someplace odd to go be some deputy J-something or other.

Nope. I'll take my O-5 pension and TRICARE when I'm old, and try to make my own money in the private sector
Shack.