• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nate23

Hello all,

I am an rotc super senior set to graduate in December. We just received service selection, and I had SNA/SNFO and then 3 types of SWO (not SWO Nuke) listed on my dream sheet. However, I ended up being sub drafted. I had a 3.01 gpa in Aerospace Engineering and an 8/8/8 ASTB. I believe there was a vacancy to fill in our university, since the previous person slotted for subs ended up losing their comission, and apparently I got picked for it. Is there any hope for me becoming an aviator still? If I fail power school and redesignate, I don't know what the chances are to redesignate to aviator, and lat transfers don't seem too promising either. Any help is appreciated!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Avoid any temptation to throw the fight.

If you fail nuke power school, you will be highly unlikely to get a redes to aviator. Intel or supply are far more likely, based on what I’ve seen. Your most obvious options are either to go subs and bloom where you were planted, or decline commissioning. I’m not sure whether you have any other options on the table.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Hello all,

I am an rotc super senior set to graduate in December. We just received service selection, and I had SNA/SNFO and then 3 types of SWO (not SWO Nuke) listed on my dream sheet. However, I ended up being sub drafted. I had a 3.01 gpa in Aerospace Engineering and an 8/8/8 ASTB. I believe there was a vacancy to fill in our university, since the previous person slotted for subs ended up losing their comission, and apparently I got picked for it. Is there any hope for me becoming an aviator still? If I fail power school and redesignate, I don't know what the chances are to redesignate to aviator, and lat transfers don't seem too promising either. Any help is appreciated!
Work your butt off as a Sub-Nuke, and when the time is right and you are eligible, apply for the Lat Transfer. Hold your cards close to your chest early, so that you don’t come across as “not a team player” in your current community, but once you’ve qualified as a Sub-Nuke (Got your pin, whatever qualifications are required for that community) put in for it. Working hard will not only put you on the path to success should you not get picked up for the transfer, but will likely give you front office support should you try to put in a package. Be a good dude and a team player regardless.

Nothing is guaranteed, and don’t hold your breath on it. The slots available for a lat transfer are slim each year, but so are the number of applicants. Keep putting in packages once you are eligible, and if aviation is truly your dream, keep trying until they tell you you can’t anymore.

Good luck!

Nate23

Is USMC an option? I had TBS classmates from the USNA that went Marine to dodge the draft and all became aviators.
My thoughts went there too, but I believe since OCS is a commissioning requirement it might be a little too late for me to switch.

Nate23

Work your butt off as a Sub-Nuke, and when the time is right and you are eligible, apply for the Lat Transfer. Hold your cards close to your chest early, so that you don’t come across as “not a team player” in your current community, but once you’ve qualified as a Sub-Nuke (Got your pin, whatever qualifications are required for that community) put in for it. Working hard will not only put you on the path to success should you not get picked up for the transfer, but will likely give you front office support should you try to put in a package. Be a good dude and a team player regardless.

Nothing is guaranteed, and don’t hold your breath on it. The slots available for a lat transfer are slim each year, but so are the number of applicants. Keep putting in packages once you are eligible, and if aviation is truly your dream, keep trying until they tell you you can’t anymore.

Good luck!
Thank you! This is most likely the path I will take and hope for the best.

sevenhelmet

pilot
My thoughts went there too, but I believe since OCS is a commissioning requirement it might be a little too late for me to switch.

Don't assume. Talk to a Marine accessions officer, if you think the USMC might be for you. You will be signing up for OCS and TBS after graduation, most certainly.

But make damn sure that's what you want first.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@FLGUY has the right idea. Keep your head down, mouth shut, do the work and maintain a positive attitude. The Sub community takes a lot of pride in itself, probably on par with aviation, and being that guy with a "I'm not supposed to be here" chip on his shoulder won't get you far. Get through your schools and quals, get your dolphins, then if being a bubblehead isn't your speed, then start talking about redes.

Your odds aren't good. By the time you're through the schools and qual process you'll most likely be too senior to redesignate into aviation. But "unlikely" isn't "impossible."

If it helps any, getting nuke-drafted means the Navy is more impressed with your academic performance than you are, so take some pride in that, anyway. Best of luck.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Avoid any temptation to throw the fight.

If you fail nuke power school, you will be highly unlikely to get a redes to aviator. Intel or supply are far more likely, based on what I’ve seen. Your most obvious options are either to go subs and bloom where you were planted, or decline commissioning. I’m not sure whether you have any other options on the table.
I'm in Charleston right now and mentoring some guys so who failed the Nuke pipeline. The likely outcome of doing so will be a POCR Board and either being booted from the Navy or redesignated into a Restricted Line community. SWO is currently full but that can change and any community with a challenging training pipeline (Aviation, SEALs, etc.) is likely going to pass on you because you failed out of Nuke school. As others have said, if you make it to Nuke school the best thing you can do is to excel, get your dolphins as quickly as possible, and then figure out what you want to do next. Be open minded though as you might find you like being a submariner.

No not yet, I believe that will be later in November.
The interview with Naval Reactors may be your last ditch chance to escape the Nuke draft but it's a wildcard option. I've seen people try to fail the interview and pass with flying colors and vice versa. Also, you never know what will follow you from that interview or whether you'll get forced into another community you don't want if you get de-recommended from being a Nuke. I do not recommend it.

sevenhelmet

pilot
The interview with Naval Reactors may be your last ditch chance to escape the Nuke draft but it's a wildcard option. I've seen people try to fail the interview and pass with flying colors and vice versa. Also, you never know what will follow you from that interview or whether you'll get forced into another community you don't want if you get de-recommended from being a Nuke. I do not recommend it.

This. Put your best effort forward. Don't. Throw. The. Fight.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
And don't go through nuke school and on your first boat with the "I should have been in aviation" mentality. Its annoying enough when SNFOs openly bitch about being SNA drops.

Edit: who knows, maybe your experience as an undersea bubba will help you get into the P-8 MPRA community. Now get to watching/reading Blind Man's Bluff, its practically required reading from what I understand.