• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Had this conversation on the subject of beer and cigars or had this conversation while consuming beer and cigars? :)

Had this conversation while consuming cigars and smoking beers. We had a lot of beers.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Regardless, the technological maturity of synthetic fuels proves the Secnav's politico-military flatulation about 50% alternatives...net zero for shore and all other goals (15% consumption cut 2020) to be just that... hot, moist, stinky ass wind. I am depressed that leadership would spout such idiocracy without some rudimentary analysis...

I have no doubt that energy supply will be a decisive factor in a future conflict... but lets set some freaking realistic yet rigorous goals...

Aquisition decisions without Energy as a key performance factor... DDG-51, CG-47, V-22, F-35, F/A-18E/F/G and oh yeah, LCS!

I am in no position to tell the Navy leadership that its pants are down directly, but they are indeed warming their ankles.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
Super Hornet Speedbrake Function

Random question for the F/A-18E/F types here.

Does the Super Hornet speedbrake function retract when the throttles aren't at idle? Can the speedbrakes be extended when the throttles aren't at idle? I seem to remember them exhibiting this behavior in the simulator over summer cruise, but I am trying to verify for a project I'm helping out with.

Thanks very much!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super Hornets do not have speed brakes. They use the ELEVONS as speed brakes.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
I was under the impression that the Super Hornet had two speedbrakes on the leading edge extensions, as well as computer controlled deflections of the control surfaces? I may be wrong about that though?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I was under the impression that the Super Hornet had two speedbrakes on the leading edge extensions, as well as computer controlled deflections of the control surfaces? I may be wrong about that though?

ea6b is partially correct, as are you. Rhinos have 2 small boards/speedbrakes that pop up just aft of the cockpit on the LEX's (vice the Hornet's single board near the nozzles), but they also work in conjunction with the flight control surfaces. No idea about a throttle interconnect, but I know that in the T-45 you can most definitely use boards at mil or any other power setting.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
There isn't a throttle restriction on the rhino. It's a great way to get rid of gas if you don't want to dump.

Casual

Jammin'
None
No throttle interconnect, but the speedbrake function is inhibited above 1.5 IMN (good luck getting there). The speedbrake function works by deflecting the ailerons, rudders, trailing edge flaps, and spoilers (the two speedbrakes you are talking about are the spoilers, which are located on the LEX.)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Reuters reporting Navy going ahead w/ multiyear Super Hornet purchase

Reuters is reporting today that the Navy is proceeding w/ a 4-yr procurement of 124 F-18E/F (& G's?) at a price some 10% under the current price for the aircraft. Supposedly the unit price will be $40 each + government add-ons making the total unit cost slightly under $50MM each. It makes the total deal worth slightly more than $6bn.

I think this is great for Boeing, the Navy and the future of our selling the Super Hornet to more foreign air forces. As much as I've knocked the A-D models (too small, inadequate endurance & range), the Rhino is a right-sized a/c that does many things very well - in both the fighter & attack roles. It's not an F-22 as a fighter, nor quite an F-15E or -35 as an attack a/c, but it gets close to both. And it's obvious the Navy can't afford single-role a/c any longer. I'm sure several members will remind me that I'm FOS, but so what.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Oh, and Boeing already has the replacement in mind, so there's that:

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I see this as increased job security.

AM:
You & Kickflip got this one just right. Every new F-18F means a career of carrier tacair flying for some NFO. After 2020, Boeing & others will be building few manned a/c - most will be UAVs. The F-35 is single-seat, and unless someone wakes up soon to re-configure it as a [much more capable] 2-seat a/c, The Rhino F & G will be the last carrier a/c built with an NFO sitting on an ejection seat. JMHO, once again.