• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

jsmiller

Not engineering major here, but... it looks like a "flying wing" design like the B-2, therefore, it's going to have the typical problems that the B-2 program had with aerodynamics?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
AM:
You & Kickflip got this one just right. Every new F-18F means a career of carrier tacair flying for some NFO. After 2020, Boeing & others will be building few manned a/c - most will be UAVs. The F-35 is single-seat, and unless someone wakes up soon to re-configure it as a [much more capable] 2-seat a/c, The Rhino F & G will be the last carrier a/c built with an NFO sitting on an ejection seat. JMHO, once again.

The writing on the wall just got blurred for the next 5-10 years for anyone wanting to go for 20 years.

jtmedli

pilot
That sucker is going to have crazy transonic yaw stability issues. . . and terrible crosswind landing capabilities.

I can hear it now...

"Oh no, not at all. We took care of those problems. See, the computer does the flying" :icon_what

Python

pilot
Contributor
Instead of UAVs they should build replacement aircraft like this:

ASW_Fake_FA37_1.jpg

With pilots like this:

stealthpubp.jpg

(Worst movie ever, btw).

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Wonder if this will lock in the new engines for the Rhino as well? I know the new motors are being offered with the possible Indian Rhino sales.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
As far as what they will replace, not sure if they will replace the oldest lot Rhinos (21, 22, 23's) or some C's and Rhinos. Before anybody freaks, the oldest Rhinos have been wayyyyy used up. For their age vs flight years they are at 187% of planned usage. So in reality they are in the same shape or worse than the newest charlies. And I'd say the Rhino is as good as if not better than a mud hen in the A/G arena.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Wonder if this will lock in the new engines for the Rhino as well? I know the new motors are being offered with the possible Indian Rhino sales.

There was an article in AW&ST about the upgraded F-414 engine about 9 months ago, but I've seen nothing on it since. Do you know when it will be available & if the Navy will buy it. If memory serves, it will have ~ 6% lower fuel consumption and some 15% boost in thrust to something like 26,000lbs in full afterburner.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Ohhhhhhh, the fine citizens against jet noise in Virginia Beach are gonna love that upgraded engine if the Navy buys it! :)

Fog

None
Contributor
Ohhhhhhh, the fine citizens against jet noise in Virginia Beach are gonna love that upgraded engine if the Navy buys it! :)

Screw 'em. When Oceana was built in the early 50's, there was nothing else in the immediate area but swamp & pine trees. Then developers started putting up homes all around the air station & towards Va Beach. Norfolk & Va Beach may complain some, but they also know 50% of the area's non-tourism jobs come from the Navy & Newport News Shipbuilding.

Reactions: Van

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Screw 'em. When Oceana was built in the early 50's, there was nothing else in the immediate area but swamp & pine trees. Then developers started putting up homes all around the air station & towards Va Beach. Norfolk & Va Beach may complain some, but they also know 50% of the area's non-tourism jobs come from the Navy & Newport News Shipbuilding.

+1! Screw those CCAJN clowns! You shouldn't buy a house near a "Master Jet Base" if you're "concerned" about the jet noise. The city of Va. Beach screwed that whole situation up in the first place (not allowing the Navy to purchase the surrounding land and allowing development/encroachment). The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze!

It's great that the Navy is getting some more (new) jets, and the engine upgrade would be great all the way around!

Fog

None
Contributor
http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNN1421151320100514?rpc=44

This is the Reuters article that was released today confirming the Navy's decision to buy 124 more Super Hornets in 4-yr contract valued at $5.3bn. Surprisingly, it's for 66 E/F models & 58 G's - bringing total procurement of Growlers to 114. Apparently, there is pressure & interest to increase the buy beyond these numbers and beyond 2015. FWIW.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ahem, more like 1943, but true that it was lowland nobody wanted with a propensity to flood. As I recall, the notable VF-19 under Hugh Winters was first squadron to take up residence in 1943. He wrote a nice little memoir of his experiences in VF-19, which is why date stuck in a corner of my cranium. I just checked and it's available cheap (used) on Amazon.

fe05d250fca0b88df0f97010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg