• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Roger, solves that dilemma. Thanks, any other words of wisdom unifrom wise? I just ordered medals which cost $120... :( I knew the day would come when I would have to get them.

Best advice I can give about OCS is that attention to detail is key. If you stand out in a bad way (e.g. wearing the stirrup shirt stays outside of your socks, boots not shined, not shaving every morning, etc.), DI's and RDC's will pick up on that quickly and punish you for it. So make sure you're taking the time every so often to square away your uniform, shine your boots/shoes, check for strings (or IP's, as they used to call them), and you should be fine. Since you're a prior, if you're bringing footwear, it's the black leather boots and shoes, so no rough-out boots or corframs (although we had one prior chief in our class who had to wear them because he had to special order the leather shoes when he got here, so maybe bring them just in case, but it's up to you). If you have any questions about uniforms while you're at OCS, your best bet is usually your class RDC, unless you have any prior chiefs in your class.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just ordered medals which cost $120... :( I knew the day would come when I would have to get them.
Boats, didn't you get each original medal awarded at an awards ceremony? Or were they lost, or locked up in a shadow box?;)

BTW, when medal(s) are lost permanently, the Navy (pers awards section) will replace them free-of-charge; however, it can take a looong time. Evidently, I ordered a full set some time in the distant past, and was surprised when I received them recently. Don't have a clue how long, as I didn't even remember ordering them!:rolleyes:
BzB

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Boats, didn't you get each original medal awarded at an awards ceremony? Or were they lost, or locked up in a shadow box?;)

BTW, when medal(s) are lost permanently, the Navy (pers awards section) will replace them free-of-charge; however, it can take a looong time. Evidently, I ordered a full set some time in the distant past, and was surprised when I received them recently. Don't have a clue how long, as I didn't even remember ordering them!:rolleyes:
BzB

I have actually only been physically awarded one NAM and I think an Iraqi campaign medal. The rest I got the certificate at an awards ceremony but never the actual medal. I'm not so hard up I couldn't afford them like the government lol. I did my deed to help abate the sequester by not ordering them from the Navy ;)

Halfpint

AEPnot2B
For those of you who have had female candidates in your class who were petite, do you know if anyone had trouble getting uniforms in the correct size due to lack of availability? I won't be going to OCS (hoping to be at ODS in the near future), but it's all up at Newport, so I thought I'd check here. Most unofficial guidance states to wait until ODS to buy uniforms to avoid purchasing incorrect/wrong amount of anything, but I'm worried about having to special order sizes and/or getting stuck buying something that doesn't fit (and therefore looks unprofessional), so I've been thinking of getting some ahead of time. Thanks.

eddieoctane

Is aftershave permitted? I can understand why the heavily-scented, cologne type stuff would be banned at least until the final phase. I usually use an unscented balm, however, and have a tendency to get razor burn if I don't use it. I can suffer through it, but man-oh-man does it itch.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
For those of you who have had female candidates in your class who were petite, do you know if anyone had trouble getting uniforms in the correct size due to lack of availability? I won't be going to OCS (hoping to be at ODS in the near future), but it's all up at Newport, so I thought I'd check here. Most unofficial guidance states to wait until ODS to buy uniforms to avoid purchasing incorrect/wrong amount of anything, but I'm worried about having to special order sizes and/or getting stuck buying something that doesn't fit (and therefore looks unprofessional), so I've been thinking of getting some ahead of time. Thanks.

The people at the shop are pretty good about sizing everything, and if you special order something there and have to wear something else instead, it won't be held against you. The only person I saw at OCS with an issue like that was a classmate of mine with size 15 feet who had special order boots that took a few weeks to come in.

Is aftershave permitted? I can understand why the heavily-scented, cologne type stuff would be banned at least until the final phase. I usually use an unscented balm, however, and have a tendency to get razor burn if I don't use it. I can suffer through it, but man-oh-man does it itch.

I bought some unscented stuff at the NEX because I burn sometimes as well. The candios who check you in are pretty reasonable about what they let you bring in. If they don't let you bring it in, you can probably just buy some a week or two into OCS. As for the itch....it'll just be another exercise in self-discipline until then. I find razor burn isn't as bad if I don't use super duper cheapo razors. Don't worry about getting disposable everything like some OCS gouge says, you'll be fine bringing in whatever non-electric razor you use normally.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The khakis get tailored for length and they have a ton of waste sizes. Even if a waste size is big they can take it in. In fact at OCS they typically fit you big and take in the waist assuming you'll grow back later.

NWUs won't fit right anyway unless you have a perfect body type for their sizes. Also the measurement/size table is off... when I follow it I look like a 10 year old wearing his dad's clothes. Best for you to wait until you're there.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
#1 If we complete the NKO courses listed on the website in advance of OCS are we required to redo them?

#2 I have read all this gouge about having an inspection pair of running shoes/dress shoes/and all your issued items (T's, undies, shower gear), is there a place where all the stuff you wear is kept this is not under scrutinous inspection? Also for us AD folks, how do they treat items that are already stenciled or have name written on it such as my seabag, do they get peculiar about these items?

Tomodachi

pilot
#1 If we complete the NKO courses listed on the website in advance of OCS are we required to redo them?

#2 I have read all this gouge about having an inspection pair of running shoes/dress shoes/and all your issued items (T's, undies, shower gear), is there a place where all the stuff you wear is kept this is not under scrutinous inspection? Also for us AD folks, how do they treat items that are already stenciled or have name written on it such as my seabag, do they get peculiar about these items?

#1 Yeah knock em out if you can. They might want to see a FY14 PII/Information Awareness depending on when you go to OCS to satisfy your annual requirement. I was glad I had them done (especially driving for life) before OCS.

#2 I bought 2 brand new sets of running shoes: one set I used until candio phase that got pretty beat up. Second pair was ready for inspection and when I hit candio phase I started wearing those. If my memory serves me right all your extra crap will be thrown in your sea bag and locked up in a "sea bag" room for RLP. Not sure what they do at the new OCS building. For your stuff that is already stenciled: if it is not correctly stenciled OCS standards then a simple one line through it and do it correctly at the spot they want it.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
#1 Yeah knock em out if you can. They might want to see a FY14 PII/Information Awareness depending on when you go to OCS to satisfy your annual requirement. I was glad I had them done (especially driving for life) before OCS.

#2 I bought 2 brand new sets of running shoes: one set I used until candio phase that got pretty beat up. Second pair was ready for inspection and when I hit candio phase I started wearing those. If my memory serves me right all your extra crap will be thrown in your sea bag and locked up in a "sea bag" room for RLP. Not sure what they do at the new OCS building. For your stuff that is already stenciled: if it is not correctly stenciled OCS standards then a simple one line through it and do it correctly at the spot they want it.

In the new building, you just keep it all in the storage compartment in your bed, better known as the "coffin rack." It must be locked up during RLP, so the DI's and RDC's can't go in there.
And the things you have to one-line should also go on your discrepancy list when you start making one.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
(although we had one prior chief in our class who had to wear them because he had to special order the leather shoes when he got here, so maybe bring them just in case, but it's up to you).

I had just assumed they let him do it because he was a boss. Seriously, that guy looked like he was so over OCS. Watching him as section leader during chow hall was entertaining. He was trying so hard not to laugh.

I remember on indoc sunday when he came into the room where I was giving the "speak about yourself in the third person etc" powerpoint and I thought "I don't recognize that RDC...oh shit he has masking tape on his chest!"

m26

Contributor
Here's a dumb question: are the NWU's still the uniform of choice during OC phase?

Hello all, I've started checking off items I need to bring for OCS. My step-dad (Retired AT1) purchased white Kirkland shirts for me that are much longer than regular shirts. He said he found this to be helpful when in uniform. My question: Should I just stick with regular length white shirts? I'm not too sure if we'll be wearing those white shirts for anything else, however if we do I have a feeling they will get messed up. Thanks.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Hello all, I've started checking off items I need to bring for OCS. My step-dad (Retired AT1) purchased white Kirkland shirts for me that are much longer than regular shirts. He said he found this to be helpful when in uniform. My question: Should I just stick with regular length white shirts? I'm not too sure if we'll be wearing those white shirts for anything else, however if we do I have a feeling they will get messed up. Thanks.

Day to day, you'll only wear the white undershirts with your Service Khakis, so they should be fine. They'd also be worn with Summer Whites and the Dress Uniforms, but that's not a common enough occurrence to worry about. If you commission during the winter uniform season, I believe you'll do both the Hi-Moms and graduation in the SDB's (technically you'd graduate in the Full Dress Blues, because you'd take off the ribbon and pin the medal on), but the undershirt wouldn't be visible, so it should work fine even if something does happen to them.

BLUF: If he already bought them, and he think it'll help, I say go for it. And if they don't work, you can use the ones they issue you at the mini-NEX, or pick up some Jockey or Hanes at the uniform store or the big NEX.