• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

doubd88

Random questions about OCS

Got some random questions for those who have gone through Navy OCS,
What are the bathroom procedures like? I have heard you only get a few minutes in the morning to get ready, that does not seem like enough time to get everything done (shower, shave, brush your teeth...) and are the Drill instructers allowed to go in and yell at you then?
are we authorized to have a bible and if so are there any restrictions to size or anything and when would we have time to use it?
what else are we authorized to have while there?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
1) You get head calls throughout the day to piss and refill your canteen. In the AM, some folks get up at 0430 to shave/brush teeth if they need or want to. You will get a hygiene call for showering every night around 2000. The head is generally a safe zone from staff but they can and do enter if you're acting like jackasses.

2) Bibles and religious reading materials are not contraband. You're allowed them without problems and will be allowed to go to services on Sunday (or other if you're Jewish)

3) Like what?

Oh and just a suggestions, but try to use capitalization and write properly. Your future peers read the site.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
1) You get head calls throughout the day to piss and refill your canteen. In the AM, some folks get up at 0430 to shave/brush teeth if they need or want to. You will get a hygiene call for showering every night around 2000. The head is generally a safe zone from staff but they can and do enter if you're acting like jackasses.

2) Bibles and religious reading materials are not contraband. You're allowed them without problems and will be allowed to go to services on the Sunday (or other if you're Jewish)

3) Like what?

Oh and just a suggestions, but try to use capitalization and write properly. Your future peers read site.

Did you add and leave out words on purpose?

doubd88

I will keep that in mind,
3) like what? ...Just anything that would be useful that they never said you could or could not have, what extra things would you suggest bringing?
Thanks for the knowledge

Also, is that the schedule for indoctrination week as well or is that just after outpost?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
doubd88 said:
Also, is that the schedule for indoctrination week as well or is that just after outpost?

That's the daily routine to expect. Believe it or not, they want you to bathe regularly. That place stinks enough with daily showers.

And if you go on the OCS website, there's a list of allowed items. If it's not on there, wouldn't recommend bringing it.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I should know this, but can they use a travel alarm clock and/or their phone to get themselves up?

You may or may not get to use the watch early on. I knew classes like mine where only one person got a watch. Others the section leader got a watch and still others where everyone who wanted a watch had a watch on. If you're told not to have it and you want to keep it then just put it out of sight and mind. Some guys also brought really small alarm clocks and carried them around in their pocket.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Why would someone even care about wearing a watch :confused:? I could imagine certain people might have to keep everyone on a certain schedule, but for the average Candidate...? Mebbe concerned about the hot date their not going on? Maybe it will mean more to me when I report, but I just can't see the importance of keeping time during the day when I imagine yer day is dictated to you with little to no freedom (at least through Candi-O phase).

BTW, an over due thank you to Synix and everyone else who has provided countless answers and guidance to the "Stupid questions" the rest of us have on this board. :)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hmmm... something I hadn't considered. Would you need a watch, i.e. as section leader? I never wear a watch, and wouldn't think to bring one.

Watches are an invaluable tool as section leader. I wasn't supposed to have one when I was but I did have one in my pocket to make sure I got where we needed to be on time. I think most DIs allow the section leader to have a watch though at least from what I saw.

Gus Gorilla

While we're on the topic of being where your supposed to be on time... The OCS website says check in time is 0900 Sunday. I could have sworn it used to say "before 1200". Am I right or am I losing it?