• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
I can only speak about my experience in my class and company. But, while I was there it was "US Naval Reserve." Thanks for the clarity on being AD while at OCS, I had forgotten that. I know that there's a new skipper there and he's made several changes to the program. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

m26

Contributor
When reciting #2, do you always list both the class chief and DI in full?

Seems weird to me to list two people as a single link in the chain.

Also, the 1/2 inch and 1/4 gold stripes... is it pronounced "half inch," or "one half inch." And is it "quarter" or "fourth."

Sweatin' the small stuff. :( Oh, well. Might as well learn it right.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
When reciting #2, do you always list both the class chief and DI in full?

Seems weird to me to list two people as a single link in the chain.

Also, the 1/2 inch and 1/4 gold stripes... is it pronounced "half inch," or "one half inch." And is it "quarter" or "fourth."

Sweatin' the small stuff. :( Oh, well. Might as well learn it right.

Dude seriously, don't worry about it that much. They aren't going to do anything to you if you don't know that day one. Figure out the small stuff when you get there. If you've already got the generalities you're ahead of the game. But it's "one quarter" and "one half inch". Number 2 is always DI first then CPO.

It'd be like "Class Drill Instructor GySgt. "I'm gonna kill you" United States Marine Corps and Class Chief Petty Officer Senior Chief Petty Officer "Go die" United State Navy.

I don't know why people on this site get so worked up over this stuff. You're going to have ample time to learn it there if you didn't learn it before and if you did learn it before well then you have one less thing to think about. Learn how to ask your drill instructor a question. That's infinitely more important than the gouge pack in my opinion. At least when you first get there.

MidWestEwo

None
Dude seriously, don't worry about it that much. They aren't going to do anything to you if you don't know that day one. Figure out the small stuff when you get there. If you've already got the generalities you're ahead of the game. But it's "one quarter" and "one half inch". Number 2 is always DI first then CPO.

It'd be like "Class Drill Instructor GySgt. "I'm gonna kill you" United States Marine Corps and Class Chief Petty Officer Senior Chief Petty Officer "Go die" United State Navy.

I don't know why people on this site get so worked up over this stuff. You're going to have ample time to learn it there if you didn't learn it before and if you did learn it before well then you have one less thing to think about. Learn how to ask your drill instructor a question. That's infinitely more important than the gouge pack in my opinion. At least when you first get there.

I kind of made the mistake of showing up with no knowledge whatsoever of the Big 4. I had to study it a little more than everyone else did at chow hall but I learned it just fine.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I kind of made the mistake of showing up with no knowledge whatsoever of the Big 4. I had to study it a little more than everyone else did at chow hall but I learned it just fine.

I didn't really know that stuff either. Never failed an inspection.

m26

Contributor
Dude seriously, don't worry about it that much... I don't know why people on this site get so worked up over this stuff. You're going to have ample time to learn it there if you didn't learn it before and if you did learn it before well then you have one less thing to think about.

I'm not all that concerned. I figure I'd rather have more RAM available for things I can only learn there, but mostly I see these things and I wonder, so I ask.

Learn how to ask your drill instructor a question. That's infinitely more important than the gouge pack in my opinion. At least when you first get there.

Well, do tell...

Gus Gorilla

If you print the Gouge Pack straight from the OCS website I believe it's at the top of the fourth page, counting the cover sheet. "Requesting to speak with Staff members". Then again on the sixteenth page. "Office Entry/Exit Procedures". The whole ordeal of the office looks like an awesome time to jack something up and an opportunity for physical correction. Should be fun.

m26

Contributor
I don't know if I trust the gouge pack on that one, but we'll see.

The entry/exit thing seems like a nightmare. I've seen DIs have all sorts of fun with that in that 80's VHS they show and on the Marine OCS documentary on MC Times.

The chow procedure looks even worse, except that it's not in DI land.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Quick Threadjack: My buddy is getting commissioned 10 September, and I'm trying to juggle travel plans to make it there. Anybody know what time the commissioning ceremonies usually are? I've heard morning, finished by noon (yes, I used search function), but that isn't really specific enough for me to plan on a commuter rail making it in time. 0900? 0800?

Thanks.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Quick Threadjack: My buddy is getting commissioned 10 September, and I'm trying to juggle travel plans to make it there. Anybody know what time the commissioning ceremonies usually are? I've heard morning, finished by noon (yes, I used search function), but that isn't really specific enough for me to plan on a commuter rail making it in time. 0900? 0800?

Thanks.

Just get there the day before and make it easier on yourself.

CashvillePlt

OVER THE LINE!
The entry/exit thing seems like a nightmare. I've seen DIs have all sorts of fun with that in that 80's VHS they show and on the Marine OCS documentary on MC Times.
Yup! But, it's a surprising simple procedure once you do it couple times. Until then...well...at least you'll get a warmup for morning PT on your day as section leader :icon_rage