• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

nynativeviamo

current enlisted over straight civilian

was wondering how much of an advantage if any being currently enlisted is as compared with a civilian...taking into account both the currently enlisted person had a semi above average record and the civilian in his own respects had a semi above average record...in this scenario would the currently enlisted person be favored over the civilian? and if so by how much?/what degree?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
was wondering how much of an advantage if any being currently enlisted is as compared with a civilian...taking into account both the currently enlisted person had a semi above average record and the civilian in his own respects had a semi above average record...in this scenario would the currently enlisted person be favored over the civilian?
In my experience the edge goes to the prior enlisted. He knows the program, how to shine shoes and do facing movements, among other things. So, he has fewer new things to learn. This is all assuming he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder, and is there for the right reasons. I found that pretty rare.

nynativeviamo

thanks for the perspective, also, i've gotten LORs from my previous CO (a captain) 2 local congressman and a district attorney/family friend, the only thing i'm worried about is my gpa which is a 3.1, other than that my evals have been mp or ep throughout my enlisted career, what do you think my chances are?

nynativeviamo

i've gotten LORs from my previous CO (a captain) 2 local congressman and a district attorney/family friend, the only thing i'm worried about is my gpa which is a 3.1, other than that my evals have been mp or ep throughout my enlisted career, what do you think my chances are? also i've got one more question, for the OCS application it says that the last two PRT scores must be good low or better, my last one was a sat-high and the one before that was a good low, i'm taking a PRT next week with my command which will be a good low. this will make my last PRT score a good low (hopefully better) and my second to last a sat-high, will this disqualify me from getting accepted? or is there a possibility they will allow it, waive it etc...? thank you very much for your advice.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
nynativeiamo - you keep asking the same questions over and over. You're not getting answers because no one really knows "what your chances are". PRT? - again no one on this site can tell you what the board will do. If you are applying through a recruiter - he has the best answers and knows about waivers.

The only sure answer is that if you don't submit the application, your chances are zero.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
The problem with being a Prior E is three fold. One: You may know your Chief/LT/GSygt. These are all bad things. Two: You will be expected to perform better than your nasty civvy classmates. Three: You have to constantly remind yourself "That's not how we do it in the fleet." OCS ain't the fleet, so forget what you know expect "Aye Sir", How to highbuff a shoe, and pivot.

nynativeviamo

thank you all for your replies, i am about to submit my OCS package, college finished, just waiting on PRT next week to submit. i just want to know if i have a fighting chance or a snowball's in hell. Jynx: if i go to OCS i plan on wiping my proverbial memory clean and doing exactly what they tell me to do as if i was a blank slate.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
thank you all for your replies, i am about to submit my OCS package, college finished, just waiting on PRT next week to submit. i just want to know if i have a fighting chance or a snowball's in hell. Jynx: if i go to OCS i plan on wiping my proverbial memory clean and doing exactly what they tell me to do as if i was a blank slate.

Well don't do that. Your nasty civilian classmates will need the good gouge you hopefully have from Boot. Be an example for them and act like you've been there before. It's more help than you realize. Just don't cop an attitude. That'll get your crank shwacked.

nugget61

pilot
Is there a way for soon-to-be OCSers to check their orders online or somewhere?
My OR told me there was an excellent chance my OCS date would change but that he wouldn't get the info, I would. But the Navy keeps mailing all of my paperwork to my old apartment (which won't forward anymore) and I don't want to drive to Newport only to find my date had been changed.
Thanks.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Is there a way for soon-to-be OCSers to check their orders online or somewhere?
My OR told me there was an excellent chance my OCS date would change but that he wouldn't get the info, I would. But the Navy keeps mailing all of my paperwork to my old apartment (which won't forward anymore) and I don't want to drive to Newport only to find my date had been changed.
Thanks.

When you get stamped original orders closer to the go-time, those are good to go. Before that, you have a date in their system (O-Tools I think it's called?). He should be the one checking it. That's his job.

nugget61

pilot
When you get stamped original orders closer to the go-time, those are good to go. Before that, you have a date in their system (O-Tools I think it's called?). He should be the one checking it. That's his job.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I don't think I have 'stamped original orders'. I have a packet with all of the paperwork I had to sign along with my medical stuff that the processor gave me and on the front of it is a copy of the printout from otools (see below) but its an online printout and not stamped. Is this good to go or do I need to get something else? Thanks.
(The "Reference" Line says "Reference: (BUPERS authority) OTOOLS SEL LTR 24 MAR 10" if that matters

Attachments

• orders.jpg
    orders.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 88

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply.
I don't think I have 'stamped original orders'. I have a packet with all of the paperwork I had to sign along with my medical stuff that the processor gave me and on the front of it is a copy of the printout from otools (see below) but its an online printout and not stamped. Is this good to go or do I need to get something else? Thanks.
(The "Reference" Line says "Reference: (BUPERS authority) OTOOLS SEL LTR 24 MAR 10" if that matters

That looks a lot like my orders except without the original stamp. The stamp and signature is what makes them legit. You'll likely get the final ones closer to your go date.

nugget61

pilot
That looks a lot like my orders except without the original stamp. The stamp and signature is what makes them legit. You'll likely get the final ones closer to your go date.

Sorry for sounding paranoid, just really want to have this right and not waste a trip up there if my class got bumped.
I should have mentioned in my previous post, these orders are for the 09 May class (next Sunday). I don't see a spot on this sheet for a sig/stamp but I will get in touch with my recruiter and see if he knows differently. When I left his office he said I was "complete and good to go" so maybe they'll just take this.
Thanks again.

Edit: There is a printed signature between lines 7/8 but I don't know if thats what makes it official - I think thats who it says to return the orders to if theres an issue?
Is it bad that I recognize how clueless I sound?

ONU_Pbear

nugget-

My orders look exactly like yours do (class date, even recruiting district). Mine have the same signature and stamp between lines 7 and 8 also. I was also told that I was "good to go", but now you got me kind of worried. It seems like that should be all we need since we both have the same thing. I was planning on calling my OR today or Monday morning. I'll let you know what I find out. Hopefully, everything is ok and we get to meet up in Newport.