• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

A

AlexSmart

Someone asked what the NWU's were for. Idk how much difference it makes (considering I have exactly zero experience wearing a military uniform), but the explanation was that you f them up, get grease/dirt on them and you won't really notice. If you had something solid colored on instead, you would clearly see all the stains.

A

AlexSmart

I know I must be annoying some guys on this thread with all the idiotic questions, but I have a big one that I can't believe hasn't come up: chew?

jtmedli

pilot
Someone asked what the NWU's were for. Idk how much difference it makes (considering I have exactly zero experience wearing a military uniform), but the explanation was that you f them up, get grease/dirt on them and you won't really notice. If you had something solid colored on instead, you would clearly see all the stains.

If you're referring to me, then that's not what I meant. They're not exactly work clothes that 'you can get dirty and not feel bad about' if that's what you're thinking. Ask a Marine if it's ok to show up with shit on your cammies or have them A.F.U. for no reason. Yes, cammies are a working uniform but you're still expected to keep them looking sharp. My question was in reference to the blue/grey pattern and what was the logic behind making them that color as opposed to the MARPAT woodland/deserts (without the EGA)?

A

AlexSmart

The concept uniforms are not intended to be ‘camouflage’ uniforms as is the case with similarly patterned uniforms of the other services. We have no need for camouflage. However, by learning from our past working uniforms as well as the uniforms from other services, the Navy realized that a solid cover uniform shows heavy wear areas much more predominantly than a multicolored pattern.

The solid color uniforms also show wrinkles in the fabric more predominantly and often a small stain or spot of paint renders a solid colored uniform not wearable. A multicolored uniform alleviates those problems as well.

Got this from http://www.new-navy-uniform.com/faq-nwu.html

I'm not sure how authoritative this website is, but this is what I based my previous comment on.

jtmedli

pilot
The concept uniforms are not intended to be ‘camouflage’ uniforms as is the case with similarly patterned uniforms of the other services. We have no need for camouflage. However, by learning from our past working uniforms as well as the uniforms from other services, the Navy realized that a solid cover uniform shows heavy wear areas much more predominantly than a multicolored pattern.

The solid color uniforms also show wrinkles in the fabric more predominantly and often a small stain or spot of paint renders a solid colored uniform not wearable. A multicolored uniform alleviates those problems as well.

Got this from http://www.new-navy-uniform.com/faq-nwu.html

I'm not sure how authoritative this website is, but this is what I based my previous comment on.

I understand what you're saying, but sailors used to work in BDUs (tri-color cammies) so why not just use the woodland digis? You gotta admit, the blue/grey ones are pretty goofy looking.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Big Navy says the NWUs are the colors they are because those are often what a Sailor is going to see in his daily work. Paint, Grease, Food, Dirt, etc fade pretty well into NWUs. In OCS, your NWUs are given a bit of leeway as they understand you are getting dirty often. They can't be nasty, but wearing a pristine pair every day and keeping them that way probably isn't going to happen. Outside of OCS, yeah, don't be nasty like that.

@Alex: Chew? Seriously? You gonna drop a big dip right before your inspection? Yeah, tobacco products are verboten in OCS. On liberty you might have an option, but if you went cold turkey for 8 weeks, sounds like the hard work is done.

@HAL: I thought "Johnny Cashes" was also a popular nickname?

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
@Alex: Chew? Seriously? You gonna drop a big dip right before your inspection?

I did. Okay, maybe not DURING inspections. But, I had a dip of snuff in for about 90% of OCS. It helped me stay awake. However, I do NOT recommend it. Almost got my ass canned one time during a surprise health and comfort check. Luckily, I was able to take advantage of the ensuing chaos and pull off some ninja shit to get my can(s) hidden in a storage room between some mattresses just before the Chiefs and DI's got to my room. That was the most scared I think I've ever been, and I mean that. Looking back, it was REALLY stupid of me to even put myself in that situation. Potentially giving up a great career for some Copenhagen is not the smartest thing to do.

One Candi-O was extremely close to getting the axe during his last week while I was there. He had a late watch and had a massive dip in at his desk. The assistant director (IIRC) walked in and it was kind of tough for him to hide it. They rolled him several weeks, his family had to cancel plane tickets, hotel reservations, etc., and he cleaned the parking lot across the street for about a month or more while they decided what they were going to do with him. I think he finally graduated, but he certainly was sweating it for a good while, and that parking lot looked immaculate.

Quit before you get there. If you can't, you will certainly quit the day you show up, at least until you get a NEX run. Stay quit after said NEX run, and don't start up again. I don't know what the success rate is for dippers that continue to do so during OCS, but I doubt it's high. It's not worth it.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
@HAL: I thought "Johnny Cashes" was also a popular nickname?

That's what we called them. I never wore them one single time. Threw them away after OCS and never looked back. Same for that huge raincoat and the SWO jacket.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
That's what we called them. I never wore them one single time. Threw them away after OCS and never looked back. Same for that huge raincoat and the SWO jacket.

Yup, my raincoat is in the bottom of my seabag, and hopefully I never wear it again. The SWO/Ike jacket I did wear here in PCola in February, but only because I don't have a leather yet and don't wanna be the guy who buys a nicer leather before I even start API.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
LOL I threw a lot of my stuff in the trash when we cleared out our rooms on Commissioning day. I just wanted to get rid of anything that had the "OCS disease" on them....I even threw away my black shoes and picked up some brown ones on the way out of base that day. I showed up to Pensacola minus my all-weather jacket, relaxed(swo) jacket, black shoes....all the wash khakis/Johnny Cashes. God knows how much money I threw into the trashcan on the way out.

I could have cared less, I was a newly commissioned officer in the aviation community they could kiss my ass.