• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

A

AlexSmart

I'm not too worried about kicking chew, I always did in between football/baseball seasons in high school and college (but it always seemed to come back around). But I'm in the same boat: if im up late/fishing in the cold/long hours at work, I usually put a dent in a pouch or can. Obviously, if it could result in getting your ass run out of OCS, its not worth it.

kfgaris

I have a question. I'm still doing all necessary work to apply for OCS. Here my qual's so far:

Graduated Liberty University Multi-Disciplinary Studies: 3.2 GPA
Extensive leadership experience, leading the youth group at my church.
Currently at hour 17 in Private Pilot Lessons and am planning to get my Private Pilot License in no more than two months from now.
Currently studying for the ASTB.
LOR's will be from both an Air Force retired pilot and recruiter.

Can anyone give me tips for the ASTB. Especially to know what is best to study in the nautical and mechanical comprehension areas?
Also, with my GPA, hopefully decent ASTB scores, and Private Pilot License; what are my chances of getting selected?

Any light you can shed would be appreciated.​

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Go look at all the previous month's selection board threads on here...you'll see what gets in and what doesn't. There is no cut and dry line that if you pass it, you're in. I had a 2.5 GPA...but I scored an 8/9/8 on my ASTB...I got in. However, there were guys with better stats who didn't.

Get the Barron's ASTB study guide...download the Marine Corps ASTB gouge that's floating around. There are many many many threads devoted to ASTB tips. You just kinda throw your junk out there and roll the dice and see what happens.

kfgaris

I have the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude test prep... What I find frustrating for example is when I take the practice math test for the ASTB in the Barron's book I get everything correct, yet when I work through the Marine gouge math section, I feel completely lost... Just want to make sure I'm studying the right information. Thanks for the tip.

A

AlexSmart

There really is no "right" information. I would recommend extensive study of ANY gouge or study materials you get your hands on. My prep time for the test was several months. There is an entire ASTB thread on here. I posted a link to a lot of good materials on one of the more recent threads. Good luck to you.

GreenLantern330

Can anyone give me tips for the ASTB. Especially to know what is best to study in the nautical and mechanical comprehension areas?
Also, with my GPA, hopefully decent ASTB scores, and Private Pilot License; what are my chances of getting selected?

Any light you can shed would be appreciated.​

From what I keep seeing throughout the threads and what my OR told me, they look at the "whole person concept" so there's really no answer to what your chances of getting selected are; your chances are just as good as anyone else's.

nynativeviamo

PRT QUESTION:

Hello all, i'm currently enlisted, just finished my degree and am in the process of putting together OCS package. One thing caught my eye and has me worried about the requirements, that is that for enlisted personnel going OCS it says the last two PRT scores must be good-low or better. My last PRT score was a SAT-HIGH and the one before that was a GOOD-LOW, was wondering if this will disqualify me from applying/being accepted or if there is some way i can retake two PRTs in a row or something along those lines to satisfy the whole "last two consecutive PRT scores must be GOOD-LOW or better" thing. Much appreciated.

nynativeviamo

also i have another question regarding recommendations...how do recommendations from congressman compare in terms of "weight" as opposed to those from mid range officers i.e. o5,o6? i've heard recommendations from congressman highly increase your chances of getting picked up...what is the truth value in this? and from the time you get approved/accepted how long until you actually take your happy a$$ to newport r.i.?

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
also i have another question regarding recommendations...how do recommendations from congressman compare in terms of "weight" as opposed to those from mid range officers i.e. o5,o6? i've heard recommendations from congressman highly increase your chances of getting picked up...what is the truth value in this? and from the time you get approved/accepted how long until you actually take your happy a$$ to newport r.i.?

First, search. All these questions have been asked and answered.

Second, there is no measuring how much weight a recommendation holds, however, if you think logically for a second...do you know your congressman personally? What good is a recommendation from someone who isn't qualified to recommend you for anything. Find some people you know.

Lastly, the time before you go to newport can be a month to a year. It all varies and you should focus on getting accepted first.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
WRT "new" ocs: PT still before breakfast or is PT now after eating?

PT always before breakfast. Usually 0500 wakeup, be outside for PT by 0515. PT ended 0630-0700 and you either went straight to chow, or changed over into uniform and then went to chow. The difference was if you had an early or late chow time.

One could only imagine the vomit fest eating and then PT would be.

nugget61

pilot
PT always before breakfast. Usually 0500 wakeup, be outside for PT by 0515. PT ended 0630-0700 and you either went straight to chow, or changed over into uniform and then went to chow. The difference was if you had an early or late chow time.

One could only imagine the vomit fest eating and then PT would be.

Good to hear, thanks. My OR (enlisted) had me worried when he said that in the fleet it was eat first, pt second and he thought OCS was the same.