• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
I flew into Newport but looking back driving is a better option depending on how far you have to travel. You won't have much say as to whose car your extra stuff ends up in unless you meet BEFORE you report to OCS. My stuff was spread between two POVs. It was a little inconvenient but it was fixed during POV runs. What sucks is when people start rolling and your stuff is in a candidates car who is in another class or DOR'd.

To make you feel better there are some advantages to flying. When you are fortunate enough to leave Newport you can catch your flight and be home in a few hours. Also you'll have a few members of your class who have issues with their cars that have to be taken care of before they can leave which costs money that the Navy won't reimburse and one or two had to spend an extra day in Newport to take care of.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I took leave after OCS and used the drive home as a time to get acclimated to being a human again. I enjoyed stopping at restaurants and sleeping in at the hotels along the way. I also got to use my DLA money to pay for it all.

I was the Indoc Adjutant so I had to catch back up on A LOT of sleep.. it was awesome.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Don't take a cab from the airport, it will be costly. Try and get someone from your class to pick you up. And don't show up with a ton of shit.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Alright, well I just got my OCS date of 1/1/2011 so I have a few questions.

1. I have lived in Florida my whole life. My definition of cold is probably much warmer than the typical northerners. From what i've read, the PRT is always done outdoors. Does anyone have any pointers for someone who hasn't run in sub 60 temperatures before a winter at OCS? I imagine it will be around and below freezing for a good part of my time there.

2. My recruiter told me that failing the first PRT would immediately cause me to go enlisted (i'm BDCP). I consistently run a 10:30 right now, and i'm sure it will only get better when I start more intense workouts prior to OCS. I just don't want to screw it up because my lungs aren't used to the cold and I find myself unable to breathe or something.

3. What is the typical winter running outfit? Are you allowed to wear anything in addition to what's required, such as long johns or another pair of socks? I want to be able to practice in almost exact conditions, will be very helpful.

Thanks for the help, and sorry if some of this is duplicate questions. I searched the thread and read all the results.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
1. If you are there in January your PT will be indoors most of the time if not all the time. PT indoors generally sucks more than outdoor PT and your run time for an indoor PRT will almost certainly be a few seconds slower.

2. If you fail the first PRT you get an orange belt but you get to stay with your class. Fail any other PRT during OCS and you get rolled to another class. I haven't heard of anyone being attritited for PRT failure. The worst than can happen is you spend some time in H-Class.

3. The Uniform of the day is the typical running outfit. If its indoors during the winter it will be longsleeve shirt, shorts, and maybe sweat bottoms. Outdoors the same plus sweatshirt. IF you happen to PT outdoors and its cold. I wouldn't recommend wearing anything other than the uniform of the day. You never know when you might move to the gym and suddenly you're the only with extra clothes on if you have to take off your sweatshirt or sweatpants.

JJH

Does anybody know what paperwork BDCPers need at first day of OCS? Do we need the security questionaire, birth certificate, social security card, etc.? Or is that already in a pack that gets sent to Newport before we arrive? Thanks

UF_ME

atrickpay,

Congrats on getting your OCS date!! I was wondering why your date is so far out. Is it because your BDCP?

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
1. If you are there in January your PT will be indoors most of the time if not all the time. PT indoors generally sucks more than outdoor PT and your run time for an indoor PRT will almost certainly be a few seconds slower.

2. If you fail the first PRT you get an orange belt but you get to stay with your class. Fail any other PRT during OCS and you get rolled to another class. I haven't heard of anyone being attritited for PRT failure. The worst than can happen is you spend some time in H-Class.

3. The Uniform of the day is the typical running outfit. If its indoors during the winter it will be longsleeve shirt, shorts, and maybe sweat bottoms. Outdoors the same plus sweatshirt. IF you happen to PT outdoors and its cold. I wouldn't recommend wearing anything other than the uniform of the day. You never know when you might move to the gym and suddenly you're the only with extra clothes on if you have to take off your sweatshirt or sweatpants.

Thanks a lot, sounds like I shouldn't worry about it.

atrickpay,

Congrats on getting your OCS date!! I was wondering why your date is so far out. Is it because your BDCP?

Thanks! I don't graduate until December so they're just sending me out a few weeks after. My recruiter was surprised that I was given a date already. He's assuming its because there is a surplus of people entering and they needed to make sure I wasn't without a class by the time I graduated.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
A few advices...

Do not waste your money like I did bringing extra crap. Save it and if you bring anything let it be just extra underwear and socks, but you dont have to as even for the DI RLP you will get extra NEX runs to buy items you might need.

And what else..... I wont say anything else because you guys have to experience it. I had a blast from day 1......! Good luck to those about to enter OCS!

priceless529

sorry if this has been posted on here before, i don't recall seeing anything but in regards to rolling--

I feel like i've heard that a lot of people will roll from their original ocs class...is that really true? if so, how does it work, do you have to stay and extra week, or month? and why exactly do so many people roll?

thanks!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Once you're secured or whatever, or even after OCS, do you have to wear the heinous Navy PT uniform just to go to a base gym and lift or can you wear whatever?

P3toP8

Once you're secured or whatever, or even after OCS, do you have to wear the heinous Navy PT uniform just to go to a base gym and lift or can you wear whatever?

The only time you have to wear the PT uni is for command PT. When your doing your own PT you can wear whatever.