• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
sleeping on the sheets only came up once. The DI told us to get in bed and in our sheets. After about an hour once the coast was clear we fixed them. If I remember, I think the book contradicted itself by saying that a candidate must be in the rack until reveille, but must also have the rack made by then as well. I could be wrong.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
sleeping on the sheets only came up once. The DI told us to get in bed and in our sheets. After about an hour once the coast was clear we fixed them. If I remember, I think the book contradicted itself by saying that a candidate must be in the rack until reveille, but must also have the rack made by then as well. I could be wrong.
sounds about right

they have some really good wool blankets available if you ask the linen body for them (when you are out of indoc week). i used two most nights especially once the base steam plant turned off and it was freezing in the rooms. just store them in a drawer.

i also never slept under the sheets, not once. even the very last night when we were to rip our racks when we got up i forgot to sleep under the sheets it was so ingrained.

nugget61

pilot
So I take it the DIs let it slide by not asking you about it? If they asked, you would have to reply that you slept on top and I assume you would be punished for that, but nothing to stunt your career? I imagine lying about it could you to be kicked out?

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
So I take it the DIs let it slide by not asking you about it? If they asked, you would have to reply that you slept on top and I assume you would be punished for that, but nothing to stunt your career? I imagine lying about it could you to be kicked out?
its no big deal

if it is you take your licking and go on with life, 99% of the time you were going to get worked anyway they were just looking for a stupid excuse.

that is how the vast majority of OCS works, the staff finds (or fabricates) something wrong and poof you're getting worked hard for awhile. 99% of these instances are predetermined (ie: workouts disguised as "beatings") but at least half of the class still won't pick up on that little detail until after OCS is over, if ever. believe it or not but there are people who go to navy OCS thinking it will be like summercamp with weak PT in the morning and then classes all day.

in our 8th or 9th or so week a few of us got called out and stood and watched the rest of the class get beat. even after it was all said and done our LT (who was watching) straight up told us we were going to get that reguardless and yet certain people STILL thought it was punative.

so in summary, don't worry about if you'll get in trouble for something or not, you're going to get worked anyway. you'll figure out real quick what rules you break outright, what rules you bend, and what rules are followed to the intent, and rules that are followed to the letter. just don't be stupid.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
99% of these instances are predetermined (ie: workouts disguised as "beatings") but at least half of the class still won't pick up on that little detail until after OCS is over, if ever.
Which is what actually makes OCS more difficult than the DIs ever could on their own accord.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
in our 8th or 9th or so week a few of us got called out and stood and watched the rest of the class get beat. even after it was all said and done our LT (who was watching) straight up told us we were going to get that reguardless and yet certain people STILL thought it was punative.

This is absolutely key. Because of my rep on AW, I was known by the whole staff before I ever showed up.

For THIS reason and this reason ALONE, I was singled out from about weeks 2-4 REPEATEDLY for crap that everyone else was doing, however the DI magically only saw me doing it. We got beat mercilessly. At times, I was forced repeatedly to stand and watch my class get beat, whether or not I asked to join them. Did the staff have pre-conceived notions about me due to my AW rep? Ya, sure. Had I not been in the class, would they have gotten beaten? Yes, absolutely. There are STILL morons to this day, who i'm sure personally blame me for their beatings and think I'm some shitbag who should never have gotten commissioned.

They are just that: MORONS. If you think that showing up to OCS shitting an anchor and being squared the fuck away is going to get you out of the hazing and beatings, you're just an idiot. There will be PLENTY of times that a person or a group of people will be singled out and blamed for a beating (even by the staff). It's just to see if you single them out later and get angry at them or if you stick together as a team. You would have gotten beaten anyway.

Now I'm sure some of my former classmates are on AW and itching to call me a shitbag, so have at it...

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
That really can't be emphasized enough. Nearly every beating we got, our DI had his favorite few names to call out for having their butts in the air on pushups or knees bent during 6-90s or whatever, even if half the class has their feet on the deck. It's all a game to see if you can stick together as a team.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
There are STILL morons to this day, who i'm sure personally blame me for their beatings and think I'm some shitbag who should never have gotten commissioned.

Now I'm sure some of my former classmates are on AW and itching to call me a shitbag, so have at it...

I remember being beat because of you... It was funny, and mostly because you were a sh*tbag. :-D

Squall

Go Navy, Go Big Red
This is the place for stupid questions, right?

Well I got a dumb one for ya.

My Recruiter said that I was heading to Pensacola for OCS. I just looked up on Wikipedia, and it said Navy OCS was re-relocated back to Newport, and has been since 2007! (Weird, considering that I started my journey in 2008; I would hope he would know about that.)

Where am I going? I'm (supposedly) about a month away from being placed in a class, and I would REALLY like to know.

peachesnel

Turtl3 said:
If everyone had to guess, what would you all say the average duration of a beating is? Not a PT session, just a beating.

Difficult question to answer and obviously wont be indicative of all sessions. Just curious.

Varies. There are the "just showing some love" beatings and the "you f***ed up, now i have to kill you" beatings. The first is usually 15-20 minutes and the second no one knows bc its usually outside with no one around to time you (BOOD watch).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
A bunch of rumors fly around about the max time a DI can beat you and whatnot. Honestly, most beatings don't actually last that long. They just seem it because you're working out constantly at 110% effort, getting your ass all sandy, or you're holding some uncomfortable position. Every DI/CPO is different, though, so the average time you will be RPT'ed will vary.

When we were jr. candios and thus could wear watches, we were part of a regimental beating by a different DI that lasted all of 3 minutes.