• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
In regards to getting rolled, I understand that the more common times to roll are at the in-PFA and the RLP. But, are there any other times that are more common than others other than those two? It sounds like a lot of times people get sick or injured and have to go to H until they heal up, but is every morning's pt (or any other pt session) an opportunity to get rolled?
Major causes of rolling, in the approxomite order of frequency:
-In-pfa failure/not cutting it in indoc week
-Injuries/illness
-RLP failures
-Academics (if you fail a test and the retest, you roll. 80% is the passing cutoff)
-6th/8th week PI (very rare when I was there, but I don't know how it goes with the recent RLP/8th week PI changes. If you roll during 6th week PI, you're a shitbag and the class team wants you gone).
-Egregious violation of a rule that causes you to attrite (eg, some guy snuck out and went to Walmart when they didn't have liberty/leave).

If you can't keep up in morning PT, the class team will find out in indoc week and you'll roll. However, you'd presumably fail the in-pfa if this were the case. Otherwise, the only cause for failure to keep up would be due to an injury or illness, and if it's that bad that you can't keep up with the pack then, well, your ass needs to go to medical.

If you're asking if the DI can randomly send you to H because he feels like it, then the answer is not after indoc week.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
Two guys from the class two weeks behind mine failed their 8th week "officer RLP" inspection and the reinspect and were rolled. Don't think that just because your class team is talking about graduation plans, candio billets, etc. means you are home free. That may have been the case before RLP got split up, but the class officers take that 8th week inspection seriously. Know your gouge!

efini_kid

quik question

ive seen the term used in a few thread in this sub forum and im curious on what the difference is. the term i am curious about is " officer candidate" ive seen it used when people refer to a NROTC program. i thought an OC was a student in and OCS program not a rotc unit. so what the difference between a midn and a OC? in terms of ROTC of course. sorry for my stupidity up front and thanks for answering the question

JDogg

Sorry if this has already been answered but this is a long thread to read through.

I am wondering what the minimum standard is on the OUT-PFA. Is the byranweatherup.com site correct? Is it the overall score the lowest category score or an average of the 3? Is the minimum for 20-29 a Excellent Low?

I think his website is pretty old and I am wondering if that is still correct. The reason is that running has never been my forte. I can almost do 90 push ups in 2 min and 90 curl ups but my run is pretty close to the 10:30 mark. I think given the environment I could be running around 11 or so at OCS. Would that make me ineligible to graduate? You can't swim at OCS right?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The min is good medium, but if you're not scoring in the excellent med-high range at the very least, you did something wrong. Your run time might go up for the in-pfa, but will improve by the out-pfa.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
My average run time is 10:30 and I gained about 30 seconds on my first run as do most people. My last PFA run was 9:30 or so. I wouldn't worry about the out PFA. You will run a lot there.

JDogg

thanks, I guess what I am wondering is if I am in or above the excellent category in push ups and curl ups, but in the the good for my run, is my score looked at as just 'good'. If they don't average the score then the push ups and curl ups won't help bring my score up at all.

I'm a short stocky guy who spent too much time in the gym working on his chest and arms (like a lot of others idiots in the gym) and neglected my legs and cardio. I may pay the price for it now.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
thanks, I guess what I am wondering is if I am in or above the excellent category in push ups and curl ups, but in the the good for my run, is my score looked at as just 'good'. If they don't average the score then the push ups and curl ups won't help bring my score up at all.

I'm a short stocky guy who spent too much time in the gym working on his chest and arms (like a lot of others idiots in the gym) and neglected my legs and cardio. I may pay the price for it now.

Each category is given a score out of 100. They are averaged together for a total score. So if you suck at running and max pushups and situps (like me), you can still end up with a excellent-high etc.

HOWEVER, you can't fail any one category. So for example if I get a sat medium on the run but max pushups and situps, the averaging of the scores doesn't "save" me. I still fail.

If I get good low on the run and max PU and SU, then good to go. My score ends up decent.

nugget61

pilot
So after reading a bit on usnavyocs.com, it seems a lot of people recommend bringing a blanket from home and sleeping under that to preserve your bed... but isn't this an integrity violation? Or is it just overlooked?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
It's against the rules and almost everyone did it. The rules stated that you had to be in bed from taps to reville beneath the sheets. That never occurred a single time. Ever.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
So after reading a bit on usnavyocs.com, it seems a lot of people recommend bringing a blanket from home and sleeping under that to preserve your bed... but isn't this an integrity violation? Or is it just overlooked?

Old gouge from the Pensacola days. You don't need to bring an extra blanket.

Btw, breaking the rules is not an integrity violation; LYING about breaking the rules is.

mastbump

I live vicariously through myself.
pilot
I would recommend bringing a coffee maker, something that plays relaxing sounds, and a "Do Not Disturb" sign for your door. This will make OCS much more enjoyable.