• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

flgator92

None
Hey everyone. I am due to leave August 2nd (hopefully) and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on best luggage choices? I will be flying from Florida and was considering a 50L Duffel bag or potentially a fairly large roller luggage. Either bag will hold the amount of gear that I will be taking but I wanted to ensure it is easy to store once I arrive and large enough to bring back any gear I accrue while in Newport. Any advice? I also plan on bringing a small 25L backpack for my carry on items. Thanks!
I brought two small luggage bags for carrying socks, underwear, bodywash, razors, etc. You don't need to bring a lot to OTCN/OCS. For the stuff I got in Newport and took down to Pensacola with me, you'll be issued a seabag and I also bought a large duffel to carry dress/service uniforms in at the NEX before I left. Should do the trick. You don't need to bring a lot to Newport.

neverVikings

Preparation, Knowledge, Attitude
Hey everyone. I am due to leave August 2nd (hopefully) and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on best luggage choices? I will be flying from Florida and was considering a 50L Duffel bag or potentially a fairly large roller luggage. Either bag will hold the amount of gear that I will be taking but I wanted to ensure it is easy to store once I arrive and large enough to bring back any gear I accrue while in Newport. Any advice? I also plan on bringing a small 25L backpack for my carry on items. Thanks!
First of all congrats!! I would suggest a big roller bag. You also need to think about your return trip home. You will have 90% more "stuff" to take home. hint hint. Also, I am sure you know this, but make sure you have comfy socks, crush push-ups (while reciting appendix B), and enjoy every minute of OCS! Go NAVY!

Zafeki

Thanks for the replies! I think I will probably stick with a small backpack and a roller luggage. I was mostly concerned that having a roller suitcase would be overkill but if its not a problem, that would definitely be easiest. It would certainly have extra room for the return trip.

Thanks for the Congrats Viking! I am super excited but also very nervous. I have been anxiously waiting for almost 6 months now and still can't seem to get an "official" OCS. Hoping August 2nd sticks this time. I am working on Appendix B right now and have been working on physical fitness for several months.

On another note, I will be bringing 2 pair of new Brooks running shoes with me to OCS. I have been running in brooks and know that they work good for me. I am however, unsure about insoles. I have seen many people suggest getting insoles but as someone who has never used them, are there any particular brands I should be looking at? Im not entirely sure how to go about picking insoles if they are indeed necessary.

Thanks again!

Catman5211

Thanks for the replies! I think I will probably stick with a small backpack and a roller luggage. I was mostly concerned that having a roller suitcase would be overkill but if its not a problem, that would definitely be easiest. It would certainly have extra room for the return trip.

Thanks for the Congrats Viking! I am super excited but also very nervous. I have been anxiously waiting for almost 6 months now and still can't seem to get an "official" OCS. Hoping August 2nd sticks this time. I am working on Appendix B right now and have been working on physical fitness for several months.

On another note, I will be bringing 2 pair of new Brooks running shoes with me to OCS. I have been running in brooks and know that they work good for me. I am however, unsure about insoles. I have seen many people suggest getting insoles but as someone who has never used them, are there any particular brands I should be looking at? Im not entirely sure how to go about picking insoles if they are indeed necessary.

Thanks again!
Hey!! We’re going to be in the same class make sure you join the Facebook page for our class and I can get you in the chat we have going! See you in three weeks

Zafeki

Hey!! We’re going to be in the same class make sure you join the Facebook page for our class and I can get you in the chat we have going! See you in three weeks

Hey Catman! I will be sure to do that as soon as my date is "Official". At the moment I have already been given a date 3 times and it has ended up changing. As of now my fingers are crossed for August 2nd but im still waiting on official word from my recruiter.

Thanks for reaching out!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I didn't do OCS, but the concept isn't foreign. I would just plan to run in whatever setup you currently are comfortable running in. Changing things now may cause problems, assuming you CAN run in your own shoes (this subject seems to come up and the rules change all the time). Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

neverVikings

Preparation, Knowledge, Attitude

Thanks again!
Brooks are great. Just break them in good. Insoles are not as important as making sure you have plenty of moleskin for blisters and gold bond powder...you can thank me later.

flgator92

None
When I reported to OCS- March, 2019- we were not authorized to wear our own sneakers. You were issued a pair of New Balance running shoes ("go fasters"). It wasn't until candio phase were we authorized to wear our own sneakers for individual PT. Don't waste the money if this is still the case.

Zafeki

When I reported to OCS- March, 2019- we were not authorized to wear our own sneakers. You were issued a pair of New Balance running shoes ("go fasters"). It wasn't until candio phase were we authorized to wear our own sneakers for individual PT. Don't waste the money if this is still the case.

Oh dear, I guess I got some bad information. Hopefully that is not still the case because I just bought 2 new pair of shoes...

justz048

Oh dear, I guess I got some bad information. Hopefully that is not still the case because I just bought 2 new pair of shoes...
I’ve tried to figure this out as well, because I’ve heard both that they issue you new balances and that you can take your own. To me, it looks like they go back and forth, but I am unsure of the reality.

flgator92

None
I’ve tried to figure this out as well, because I’ve heard both that they issue you new balances and that you can take your own. To me, it looks like they go back and forth, but I am unsure of the reality.
Well, wear your own tennis shoes until you're issued a pair of New Balances. Should be on the first day, but you should arrive in tennis shoes because you'll be moving place to place a lot. It's also a good idea to bring your own because they often run out of issued tennis shoes and will need to order you a pair which you'll get later. While you're waiting for your pair, you'll wear those you brought. And, of course, the ones you brought can be worn in candio while conducting individual PT after week 9. Make sense?

AULANI

It depends on your class team. My class wasn't allowed to wear our own shoes the entire time... not even candio phase.

Thanks again!
I wore sneakers there (the ones I had been running in) you will buy the issued ones, but I went to medical and got a shoe chit to be able to wear my normal ones. When I was a Candio, they didn’t even issue the indocs a pair of go fasters. I wouldn’t bring 2 new ones though. One pair is solid. Just make sure you can clean them for RLP. I wore Nike’s with some gel insoles from Walmart and my feet were forever grateful for that!

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I bought all black asics running shoes to wear, and they blended in with all the other black issued go fasters during pt. I’d probably still recommend getting your current pair of running shoes in all black, and wearing those during PT. But your mileage may vary. The issued go fasters when I went through in May 19, were very heavy/ crappy in general. Ended up going to the sports medicine guy a few times to loosen up my calves.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I'm sure things have changed a lot in the last ten years (understand you don't have to eat steaks (or apples, or salads, etc) left-handed with a spoon full of dirt from your last sanding? insert old man screaming at clouds meme).

Either way wear a nice pair of sneakers there and if they let you use them cool. If they don't, use what they give you (by give I obviously mean procure from your paycheck). Unless things have changed more than I thought, have a pristine pair for RLP with the stencils. Its worth the extra 40 bucks.