• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

prestonaz

Is there any way to predict what ships will be available for SWOs before heading to OCS. I REALLY would like Norfolk, and was curious if anyone was able to get info before they went into OCS

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
To the recent OCS grads: what was the hardest workout you had to endure during OCS?

Meyerkord

pilot
Is there any way to predict what ships will be available for SWOs before heading to OCS. I REALLY would like Norfolk, and was curious if anyone was able to get info before they went into OCS
No, there's no way to tell ahead of time, but most of the time, you'll see cruisers or destroyers in Norfolk or San Diego, with maybe 1 or 2 in Japan and 1 or 2 amphibs. If you want Norfolk, the chances are high that you'll get it. But with anything else in the Navy, it could change at any time.

To the recent OCS grads: what was the hardest workout you had to endure during OCS?
I'm assuming when you say "workout" you don't just mean PT in the morning. Battle Stations was probably the most exhausting because it's literally all day long. You have other evolutions that are high intensity like RLP, fast cruise, etc, but those are over with fairly quickly.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
No, there's no way to tell ahead of time, but most of the time, you'll see cruisers or destroyers in Norfolk or San Diego, with maybe 1 or 2 in Japan and 1 or 2 amphibs. If you want Norfolk, the chances are high that you'll get it. But with anything else in the Navy, it could change at any time.

I'm assuming when you say "workout" you don't just mean PT in the morning. Battle Stations was probably the most exhausting because it's literally all day long. You have other evolutions that are high intensity like RLP, fast cruise, etc, but those are over with fairly quickly.
Thank you good Sir. Just trying to gauge the difficulty of OCS physically. Heard from different sources it’s not that bad, but also heard the sessions can be pretty demanding.

Meyerkord

pilot
Thank you good Sir. Just trying to gauge the difficulty of OCS physically. Heard from different sources it’s not that bad, but also heard the sessions can be pretty demanding.
What you heard is right. There will be parts that suck pretty bad, but overall it's not a bad experience. If you actually put forth effort and try your hardest during the times when it's needed, you will be just fine.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
What you heard is right. There will be parts that suck pretty bad, but overall it's not a bad experience. If you actually put forth effort and try your hardest during the times when it's needed, you will be just fine.
Thank you, and good luck with Primary!

I’ve been running about 14-16 miles a week now and I’m curious if that’s about the mileage I can expect at OCS.
Edit: Spelling
For what it's worth, the OTCN website mentions "running approximately 3 miles, three times per week on a track or road surfaces, and two days of strength training through HIIT exercises. Successful candidates arrive at OCS already able to run 3 miles a day (15 miles a week) and able to complete 30 minutes of aerobic exercise in a session." That is the baseline I am planning around. At least from the two discussions I have gotten to have with folks on OHARP, the aerobic sessions were quite a bit harder than the running sessions.
Reference: https://www.public.navy.mil/netc/NSTC/otcn/ocs_physical_fitness.aspx

Meyerkord

pilot
I’ve been running about 14-16 miles a week now and I’m curious if that’s about the mileage I can expect at OCS.
Yeah, that's about right. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's actually less than that at OCS.

"running approximately 3 miles, three times per week on a track or road surfaces, and two days of strength training through HIIT exercises. Successful candidates arrive at OCS already able to run 3 miles a day (15 miles a week) and able to complete 30 minutes of aerobic exercise in a session." That is the baseline I am planning around. At least from the two discussions I have gotten to have with folks on OHARP, the aerobic sessions were quite a bit harder than the running sessions
Pretty accurate. Expect generally to run on M/W/F for about 3 miles. A lot of the times for us, it was 1.5 miles with someone from class team (ours usually split us into a fast ground and a slow group), and then another 1.5 at your own pace. Actually wasn't too bad since the route is right along the water and you get to see some awesome sunrises. Aerobics sucks because no one likes doing burpees at 5 am.

More uniform questions, I have SDBs, khakis, the whole nine yards....Should I bring all of it?
2 SDBs
2 Summer Whites
2 Khakis
1 Dinner Dress Blue and White
1 Choker (Whites)
1 Refer
1 O-Coat
1 Raincoat
1 Ike Jacket
1 PT Uniform

Since this question is related to workouts and not actual pushes, I will keep my answer confined to morning PT. I do not want to spoil the fun of morning PT, but zombie plank crawls across the field after a 1.5 mile station run in the middle of winter was probably one of the hardest PT sessions that I remember.