• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Bates are standard issue just make sure they are all leather! I think it's a good idea to break them in first I always get blisters when I break in new leathers

Tasha

Thank you @Pman and @Shakeitha Lewis ! I appreciate your input and insight. :)
Bates are standard issue just make sure they are all leather! I think it's a good idea to break them in first I always get blisters when I break in new leathers
No I haven't tried the other pairs yet. I believe the bates are standard issue. Breaking them in at OCS wasn't that bad since that was my first time ever wearing boots. Bring some good insoles/boot socks, lace them up tight, and you'll be fine.

Meesh

Dirty prior
http://www.ocs.navy.mil/pdfs/OCR APP B - Inspection Knowledge.pdf
The more you know couldn't hurt. From what I have read, General Orders and Code of Conduct as well as Chain of command (to a certain point. obviously you won't know the CoC closest to you).
Just a note on the gouge, the Appendix B changed in July 2014, and now has the Oath of Office vice the Navy Hymn, because honestly... the Navy Hymn.
On a side note I did get asked for the OPI to sing the Navy Hymn, for which I knew and recited the first line, followed by saying "Ma'am, this Officer Candidate does not recall the remainder of the Navy Hymn." Which made her chuckle, ask a few more questions and say "you passed, you can recover outside your hatch."

Catharine May

I have a question: Are we allowed to wear civilian clothes when going to church at OCS or do we still have to wear uniforms? I'd like to make sure before I bring church clothes for nothing.

Tasha

I have a question: Are we allowed to wear civilian clothes when going to church at OCS or do we still have to wear uniforms? I'd like to make sure before I bring church clothes for nothing.
Good question! I am not at OCS yet.. But I do remember reading that the only time we are in civilian clothes are when we arrive and leave. Other special circumstances are family emergency. IE death (i think). Etc ..

Please correct me if bad gouge!

Last edited:

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
No, you will be in the uniform of the day for the phase of training you are in. So, NWU until Candio Phase which will then be khakis. @Tasha's gouge is correct.

Workingoutsidemyfield

The PCS homeport states that we need to bring our pcs orders. Does this mean that the navy will help with moving? I am a reservist on ADSW orders since last FY and will stay on these orders until I leave for OCS. I am alone here in Illinois and just was wondering if the PCS move would allow me to move my belongings home to Texas.

Meesh

Dirty prior
How often can we contact home? And how do we contact after our first phone call saying "hey I made it ok"?
It varies, the first phone call is up to the class team with when it specifically happens, as candio's we made sure the indocs get a phone call once arriving before they put their phone in the famous 'lucky bag' and then again using our personal phones after first friday. but it all depends on class team and if they have a new standing procedure. But after RLP you move to rooms with computers and e-mail.

jakejake527

It varies, the first phone call is up to the class team with when it specifically happens, as candio's we made sure the indocs get a phone call once arriving before they put their phone in the famous 'lucky bag' and then again using our personal phones after first friday. but it all depends on class team and if they have a new standing procedure. But after RLP you move to rooms with computers and e-mail.
how often are we allowed to use computers/email? ("after RLP")

44magnum

how often are we allowed to use computers/email? ("after RLP")
But be mindful that the internet really isn't good for much. For example, you can go to Google News and read the headlines, but you can't open any of the articles. Wikipedia and some Navy sites are about all else there is. Even some Navy sites won't work. Also, you will have a Navy email account but can't access your civilian one. So make sure you bring the email addresses of anyone you might want to stay in contact with. And once you get your Navy account, you might have a friend/relative set up your email account to forward to the Navy account. Or you can just go off the grid for 3 months like I did.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Or bring a smartphone. Then whenever you get cell phone privileges back, you also get your e-mail and internet back. Assuming you can get any reception in Nimitz Hall or, indeed, any Navy building I've been in so far.
Plus, there's an internet cafe across the street from the NEX. You probably won't be allowed to go until candio phase, but it's free and unrestricted.
And don't be like the class that tried to check their e-mail in the electronics section of the NEX, because now candidates are not allowed in that section at all.