• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

BackOrdered

Contributor
Pace notwithstanding, if you're injured, it's gonna be a bitch and a half to run three miles on asphalt (Spekkio, for us they told us it'd be down to the carrier and back, AKA the carrier run). Like I said, they passed all the PRT's and graduated, so they're officers just as much as the rest of us in the class.

But yeah, the capstone was much better. Oh, and they eliminated the class t-shirt ceremony as well. Remember standing at parade rest and being called up as class team read your new billets, and then they'd say "Ladies and gentlemen, BAT II staff," and you snap to attention, clap three times, and go back to parade rest? No longer. Replaced with something less ridiculous.

You missed the point. If they are injured, fine. But if you can't be bothered with a slow 5k by week 8 you have a bigger issue.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If the PRT is your 'measure of fitness' then you should be ashamed of yourself...
I agree with the rest of your sentiment, but the PRT is exactly intended to be a measure of physical fitness. Supposedly (and that's a big supposedly cuz I have no idea where they got the data) the score structure is based off of percentiles of performance in the American population, with satisfactory being 50th percentile.

Should a military officer be much better than just right in the middle? Of course. But I also haven't met too many people in the Navy outside of specwar who can legitimately get an outstanding or max in every category once they've done an operational tour.

BigRed389

None
Huh?

Our victory run was a 1.5 mile run at about a 9 min/mile pace. Like Pickle said, if you're struggling to keep up by week 8-9, then how come you're still in the class and not in H with the other fatbodies?

The victory run doesn't exist to make you more fit. It's supposed to be a fun, easy event to commemorate the fact that you're gonna make it.

Hell I was still drunk for my class victory run...2nd worst fucking hangover of my life afterwards.

jtmedli

pilot
I agree with the rest of your sentiment, but the PRT is exactly intended to be a measure of physical fitness. Supposedly (and that's a big supposedly cuz I have no idea where they got the data) the score structure is based off of percentiles of performance in the American population, with satisfactory being 50th percentile.

Should a military officer be much better than just right in the middle? Of course. But I also haven't met too many people in the Navy outside of specwar who can legitimately get an outstanding or max in every category once they've done an operational tour.

Just because it's the 'measure of physical fitness' for the Navy doesn't mean it should be yours. Like I've said many times, if the PRT is the hardest PT you do in a year then you're doing something wrong.

AughtaRotate

Glorified Bus Driver
I've tried looking this up, couldn't find much. Who can speak to what Newport is like in winter? I know more PT is done inside because of snow on the ground, but what other differences are there? I'm going to be in the January class

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
Can anybody offer updated gouge on Officer Uniform Allowance? I've read everything from $400 to $1700 to nada.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've tried looking this up, couldn't find much. Who can speak to what Newport is like in winter? I know more PT is done inside because of snow on the ground, but what other differences are there? I'm going to be in the January class
Use your initiative... google "weather in Newport RI in January (or Feb. or Mar)". It will give much more than you need to know, but then you'll probably wish you hadn't asked!:eek:

If you're driving... don't skimp on the Prestone.;)
BzB

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Read the first paragraph. And the part that says "or special criteria" and then the table below that outlines special criteria which includes commissioning programs.

For accounting/pay purposes, you're an E-5 while in OCS.

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
Ok that helps. It all being described as currently enlisted was throwing me. Considering I will be "promoting" from E-5 to O-1 clears it up! Thanks! :)

AughtaRotate

Glorified Bus Driver
Use your initiative... google "weather in Newport RI in January (or Feb. or Mar)". It will give much more than you need to know, but then you'll probably wish you hadn't asked!:eek:

If you're driving... don't skimp on the Prestone.;)

Way ahead of you there. It's a balmy average temp of 31. I was wondering more about how said weather effects training. Are we still doing SUYAs, but with snow instead? Jokes.

Swore in yesterday with my OR, excited to be part of the Navy now. Even got to watch the award winning "Wings of Gold". What a gem. AOCS is still open, and there are still Sea Knights, Tomcats, and Vikings all being flown.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just because it's the 'measure of physical fitness' for the Navy doesn't mean it should be yours. Like I've said many times, if the PRT is the hardest PT you do in a year then you're doing something wrong.
My point is that obtaining a satisfactory on the PRT is the standard for fitness in the Navy. The PRT is a test that is supposed to measure physical fitness. I'm glad you think that it's not good enough for you (and I'll agree that someone could obtain a satisfactory without actually doing a regular workout regimen... probably should have the standard set at excellent), but our opinions don't really matter in that regard and it doesn't get you any bonus points on your FITREP to get anything over that satisfactory score. All you have to do is not be fat in uniform, which can be accomplished without doing any PT at all.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Way ahead of you there. It's a balmy average temp of 31. I was wondering more about how said weather effects training. Are we still doing SUYAs, but with snow instead? Jokes.

Swore in yesterday with my OR, excited to be part of the Navy now. Even got to watch the award winning "Wings of Gold". What a gem. AOCS is still open, and there are still Sea Knights, Tomcats, and Vikings all being flown.

I got there in Feb, and we PTed indoors, although I don't know how they are going to do strength and conditioning indoors without the rooms in the old Nimitz. SUYA/Rose Garden/Cookie jars are not done in the snow, or even that often anymore when the weather is nice. Also, you will skip a lot of the chow hall procedures outdoors in crappy weather. So really, not much.

And I love those old OCS videos. The Navy still makes videos shot from the first person, I had to sit through one in a leadership course recently. They crack me up, reminds me of "The Continental."

mikeVT

Since this is a thread for stupid questions...

What is the difference between being Pro-Rec'd and making final select? Maybe not so much the differences, as making the final select I'm sure means you were officially chosen for OCS, but moreso, if you are Pro-Rec'd, is it most likely you will make final select barring any disqualifications or setbacks?