• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Strange because I would imagine having amphibs in the fleet would be as (if not more) important to our current geopolitical situation than having the large and expensive CVNs. You can land quick response forces and have air support for small-scale operations with the amphibs, while having the CVNs requires a much more cumbersome operation, including the lack of a direct landing capability. It seems like we'd have more use for amphibs than we currently do for the larger carriers.

Has anyone ever tried to come up with a way for assessing the necessity and/or long-term historical effectiveness of deterrence we achieve by retaining CVN-size assets in the large numbers we do across all of the services?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone ever tried to come up with a way for assessing the necessity and/or long-term historical effectiveness of deterrence we achieve by retaining CVN-size assets in the large numbers we do across all of the services?

Probably every time Congress talks about fewer carriers. It's impossible to tell, really, because you're trying to both quantify the psychology of decision-making and prove why something didn't happen (i.e., tinpot dictators decided not to invade US-friendly neighbors because there was a CVBG off his coast X% of the time). It's pretty much impossible to prove deterrance - conventional, nuclear, anti-terror - works; we just know that it does.

phrogpilot73

In TACAIR, we need written airwing/typewing approval to even take troops up on an incentive flight. I can't imagine approval for flying family members coming from anything less than CNAF or OPNAV - I.E. it ain't gonna happen. Like I said, maybe it's a green thing. Does anyone on the Navy side have direct knowledge of something like this happening through legitimate channels?
It might be differences between TACAIR and rotary wing. We routinely take troops up for incentive flights, but we've got 15-ish seats in the back, plus a mighty big raft if something goes bad. We only need the HAC's permission for that one. The only requirement for dunkers is if you're crew, not passengers.

As for civilians, I know it goes pretty high up the chain - it's either MARFORCOM/PAC/RES or HQMC that authorizes those... I just don't remember who...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It might be differences between TACAIR and rotary wing. We routinely take troops up for incentive flights, but we've got 15-ish seats in the back, plus a mighty big raft if something goes bad. We only need the HAC's permission for that one. The only requirement for dunkers is if you're crew, not passengers.

As for civilians, I know it goes pretty high up the chain - it's either MARFORCOM/PAC/RES or HQMC that authorizes those... I just don't remember who...

OK, so it's not like the CO can just say, Wives, have at it," as one of the posts intimated.

Brett

phrogpilot73

OK, so it's not like the CO can just say, Wives, have at it," as one of the posts intimated.
No, not at all - and I apologize if I made it seem that way. It usually starts with the CO wanting to do it for a Jane Wayne day, and then a lot of leg work from the worker bees in the squadron to make it happen.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Some 0311 priors that are with me at TBS were saying that they had to do the dunker after that unfortunate incident where the Phrog went ass over tea kettle when it got a wheel stuck in the net on the back of a boat. Do they still do require this?

phrogpilot73

Some 0311 priors that are with me at TBS were saying that they had to do the dunker after that unfortunate incident where the Phrog went ass over tea kettle when it got a wheel stuck in the net on the back of a boat. Do they still do require this?
Nope. It's a nice to have, not a need to have. We got most of the heliborne company through the SWET, but nobody else in the battalion, and nothing more.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
West Coast grunts were all doing Helo dunker in 03. And since Helo dunker had Helo in the title the Air Shops got to coordinate it. No dunker no Helo ride on the boat.

phrogpilot73

West Coast grunts were all doing Helo dunker in 03. And since Helo dunker had Helo in the title the Air Shops got to coordinate it. No dunker no Helo ride on the boat.
I'll clarify that my info was East Coast grunts, and in '05... Only the heliborne company, and only the SWET.

Maybe it has to do with location/availability of the dunker? Our closest dunker was Cherry Point, and it's booked WAY in advance. There's a SWET on Lejeune...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That would likely be this one

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Stupid Question

Are major billets on the CVN (CO, CAG, Air Boss) different career paths altogether or must one progressively serve in each working up?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
She had no reason to be there other than a pure joy flight, shes not in the military. Dunno how she could have gotten the rules bent for her.

I call BS, unless she is a reporter or some kind of celebrity I doubt that she got to go up. They do incentive flights for reporters and celebrities but in my time I have not known any spouses or other civilian family members that got to go up in a Tacair jet.

I know the USAF used to do incentive flights on their big cargo birds with families and other groups like Boy Scouts. A friend of mine married an aviation electrician who worked on C-17's and they had one every year in his unit, the big deal there was they flew around with the rear door down at 'low' level, about 5000 ft or so. This was before 9/11 so I am not sure if they still do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.