• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
It doesn't matter. You'll get what you need for the a/c you're in. I had one type of helmet for the T-34 and it got swapped for the HGU-84 when I got to South Field.

Does anyone know the actual reason for that and what the actual differences are? I always thought that my fixed-wing helmet was more comfortable than my rotary-wing.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know the actual reason for that and what the actual differences are? I always thought that my fixed-wing helmet was more comfortable than my rotary-wing.

I was told the fixed-wing helmet was designed for protection against fore-aft impact and the rotary-wing helmet was designed for lateral impact. (obviously those are the respective types of impacts to be expected in each type of aircraft).

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Newbie here...

Flew A4's with VA-95 aboard Intrepid off both Dixie & Yankee Station in 1966...

Was notified by email from old USN buddy, Bill Iams, plus a member of the restoration crew about a year ago...the recently restored A4 now on static display...still aboard Intrepid, but in NYC during the ship's recent o'haul period (after being unstuck from the mud :D), was painted in our squadron colors...complete with the "Green Lizard"...

Both Bill & I, and I'm certain the rest of the VA-95 guys, flew this very bird over 'Nam that same year...

I logged six flights in her, four of them "green ink"...

A4B BuNo 142833...Bless Her Heart!!

Banty

Real quick for anyone who can answer - what's "green ink" refer to?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
same basically - the HGU-55/P. I think AF and Navy use different visor systems but as far as fixed wing goes, I believe it's the same piece of kit...Navy version is HGU-68/P.

Chuck

The AF, at least the 15 guys, use a somewhat different system for the mask clips as well. -15 WSO in my squadron bitches constantly that the way our masks hang isn't as comfortable.

Pags

N/A
pilot

I agree that the FW helmet was more comfortable than the RW helmet. I have no clue why the difference. Probably some stupid reason along the lines of sound protection and lighter weight for the FW guys due to Gs. I like the Army helmets, they have a built in visor cover (purely aestetics, I've never worn one).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I mentioned "green ink" one time to my Pops, and he said that Back In His Day, red ink was combat time.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
D_Rob said:
It might not even be a towered airport, he might have just been talking to another a/c in the pattern or taxing.

That's what it sounds like. It sounds pretty casual and the airport is small.

MasterBates

I have heard USMC uses red for combat whereas USN uses red for night.

This is how my logbook is:
Green = Combat
Red = Night and unaided landings
Blue = NVG HLL & associated landings.
Grey = NVG LLL & associated landings.
Black for all others

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All I have in my book are Black, Green (combat) and Red (night).

I know, night time don't mean $hit for FO's, but after one too many farkups by the Ops YN, we just told her to just log it the same for everyone.

HLL? LLL? What is, please?

MasterBates

High light level = Light above .0022 lux
Low Light Level = Light below .0022lux

Don't ask me what a lux is.. I was an NVGI and I didn't know what it was, but I knew slap told me what it was.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
High light level = Light above .0022 lux
Low Light Level = Light below .0022lux

Don't ask me what a lux is.. I was an NVGI and I didn't know what it was, but I knew slap told me what it was.

Not an NVDI either, but I did go through the syllabus (+ refresher), and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week...

The difference between HLL and LLL is essentially whether there is any moon illumination at all - .002 lux is the amount of light from stars plus airglow; anything greater means there is at least a sliver of a moon (good), anything less means it's pitch-freakin' dark (not so good). Of course, a full moon on goggles is essentially like looking at the sun, so there can be too much of a good thing.

p.s. To pre-empt the follow-up, airglow is an emission line from atmospheric nitrogen and oxygen...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not an NVDI either, but I did go through the syllabus (+ refresher), and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week...

The difference between HLL and LLL is essentially whether there is any moon illumination at all - .002 lux is the amount of light from stars plus airglow; anything greater means there is at least a sliver of a moon (good), anything less means it's pitch-freakin' dark (not so good). Of course, a full moon on goggles is essentially like looking at the sun, so there can be too much of a good thing.

p.s. To pre-empt the follow-up, airglow is an emission line from atmospheric nitrogen and oxygen...

.00022 is the no-moon baseline. .0022 is about 1/4 moon. It's where the NVG gain can no longer assure uniform image quality.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Looks like Monterey Peninsula (Class C).

I stand corrected.

Is there a reason Clint is in the right seat? I thought it was SOP for the PIC to sit in the left seat. Is it different in Helos?

Status
Not open for further replies.