• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot

Is there anything he can't do? Completely random, but enjoyed watching it. I've never had to tell tower that I'm "Right over the numbers, 28R". Did he sneak up on them?

phrogpilot73

Dawgfan said:
I've never had to tell tower that I'm "Right over the numbers, 28R". Did he sneak up on them?
Umm, is that because you're NOT a helo guy?!? Not saying it happens all the time - but if you're gyro's caged to look for fixed wing, we get overlooked sometimes.

phrogpilot73

MIDNJAC said:
soooo did he just not sqwak or what......cause that is unheard of to me.....
So is taking off from a parallel taxiway unheard of by you. But it still happens.

Did anyone who's nitpicking actually listen?!? Tower said "I still don't have you in sight." There could be a myriad of reasons for it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
MIDNJAC said:

Towers don't always have scopes, and if that airport doesn't have its own approach they wouldn't have gotten a handoff, esp since he was VFR.

KBayDog

Dawgfan said:
I've never had to tell tower that I'm "Right over the numbers, 28R". Did he sneak up on them?

Happens quite a bit for us rotorheads. Like phrogpilot73 said, if your gyro is not caged to look for helicopters, we're sometimes hard to see. Remember: We're covered under paragraph (d) of FAR 91.119 (Reader's Digest: We're not restricted to staying above 1000' AGL over populated areas/500' AGL over non-populated areas), so we're often much lower than most people are used to looking. Additionally, we can (and do) enter airports from any which way (unless otherwise directed, we're required to avoid the flow of fixed-wing traffic).

MIDNJAC said:

The tower controller was not looking at a radar, nor was he looking at the approach corridor - he was looking out over the airport for a low, dark (black?) helicopter which was most likely hidden by the dark terrain behind it. Not the easiest thing to see. As you saw, though, a simple talk-on is all it takes most of the time.

(BTW, some places require you to stop squawk - NFG is a perfect example. You maintain your squawk until you ENTER their Delta, then you strangle your parrot.)

phrogpilot73 said:
So is taking off from a parallel taxiway unheard of by you. But it still happens.

Testify, brother! We regularly operate to/from non-standard areas on airports: Taxiways, intersections, ramps, etc. In fact, it's pretty much the norm for towered airports. It gets us in/out of their airspace quickly, and keeps the runway open for airplanes.

One of my Top 10 favorite aviation phrases: "(Callsign), from present position, you are cleared for takeoff..." :D

torpedo0126

same basically - the HGU-55/P. I think AF and Navy use different visor systems but as far as fixed wing goes, I believe it's the same piece of kit...Navy version is HGU-68/P.

Chuck

For helos yes. USMC/USN uses HGU-84s. Army, AF (and CG I think) use the HGU-56.

Are there significant differences? Just out of curiosity. I'm headed to Vance and I was told my helmet might get swapped for an AF one. Just was interested in the difference.

Thanks.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
If they give you a zeta liner, and they probably will, keep it if they're still letting you when you come back to the navy.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah I guess I just meant that it seemed strange that he could just "sneak" up on the tower controller......but yeah, I suppose tower getting visual contact would be a seperate issue from sqwak. Definitely saw one helo type and student bring a T-34 into tower airspace without them ever seeing them (or hearing from them :eek: )

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Are there significant differences? Just out of curiosity. I'm headed to Vance and I was told my helmet might get swapped for an AF one. Just was interested in the difference.

Thanks.

They also may swap out your brain (not in advance, but AT Vance :p )

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
It might not even be a towered airport, he might have just been talking to another a/c in the pattern or taxing.

MIDNJAC said:
Definitely saw one helo type and student bring a T-34 into tower airspace without them ever seeing them (or hearing from them :eek: )

"Aircraft on downwind, state callsign ... aircraft on crosswind, state callsign ... aircraft on short finial, state callsign ... aircraft on landing roll out, state callsign ... aircraft on alpha taxiway, state callsign ... Hey tony, can you go tell that plane to call me..."

Pags

N/A
pilot

Thanks.

It doesn't matter. You'll get what you need for the a/c you're in. I had one type of helmet for the T-34 and it got swapped for the HGU-84 when I got to South Field.

Status
Not open for further replies.