• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
where can i get some good information on naval school for my son?

Lol..that is a very generic question. Does he want to become an Officer or does he want to enlist?

www.navy.mil is a good place to start. You have to give more information about your son...age, what he wants to do in the military, etc etc. There isn't just a "naval school".

Your profile says you are 28 with a son..either you had him very young, or right now is WAY too early on getting any type of meaningful career guidance.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, got one for any C/ E-2 guys. Do you have a HABD bottle as part of the vest? Seems like it might be a useful thing to have in the event of a cold shot.

LowWingLoad

Question for some former Tomcat guys. Why do you always see the F-14 with the Phoenix racks but never any actual missle's on them, for the sake of weight and drag would it have been better to have them removed when not planned to be in use?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, got one for any C/ E-2 guys. Do you have a HABD bottle as part of the vest? Seems like it might be a useful thing to have in the event of a cold shot.

Yes, the non-ejection seat guys on the boat have a HABD. When I flew CODs, we used to carry HEED bottles....

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great question. Most things on the boat have a 100x cycle. I'm assuming they get inspected on a cycle basis....but the number I know not. Maybe any shooter would have this answer.

-ea6bflyr :)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
100 shots before AIMD re-work.... Unless it appears jacked up. holdback bars are inspected & "pre-flighted" before every launch.

Ghstrdrvt

Don't tase me bro.
pilot
What is the difference between a Naval Air Station and a Naval Air Facility? I'm out at El Centro again, and none of us know. I thought it was that no squadrons were based here, but Atsugi breaks that rule. Any thoughts?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
What is the difference between a Naval Air Station and a Naval Air Facility? I'm out at El Centro again, and none of us know. I thought it was that no squadrons were based here, but Atsugi breaks that rule. Any thoughts?

According to Wikipedia: "A slightly lower level of airbase in the U.S. Navy is the Naval Air Facility. These facilities normally support smaller numbers of naval aircraft. Permanently-based naval aircraft are usually minimal, with the principal focus being on supporting naval aircraft deployed from other installations."

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
According to Wikipedia: "A slightly lower level of airbase in the U.S. Navy is the Naval Air Facility. These facilities normally support smaller numbers of naval aircraft. Permanently-based naval aircraft are usually minimal, with the principal focus being on supporting naval aircraft deployed from other installations."

Interesting. Then shouldn't it be NAEF Lakehurst instead of NAES?

bunraku

Where to park planes on the flight deck?

Hi.

My first post and just wanted to say hi first of all to everyone.

I am a UK civilian so forgive me ignorance on the subject, But i am wondering exactly where planes can go on the flight deck. What i mean is there are certain planes that favour particular area's like the Hummer Hole etc.

The reason i am asking is i am having a model built of Abe Lincoln 2000-2001 and the accompanying Airwing. So once complete i want to make sure i have the planes in the correct area's of the flight deck.

Thanx and appreciated.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi.

My first post and just wanted to say hi first of all to everyone.

I am a UK civilian so forgive me ignorance on the subject, But i am wondering exactly where planes can go on the flight deck. What i mean is there are certain planes that favour particular area's like the Hummer Hole etc.

The reason i am asking is i am having a model built of Abe Lincoln 2000-2001 and the accompanying Airwing. So once complete i want to make sure i have the planes in the correct area's of the flight deck.

Thanx and appreciated.

Yes and no. Depends on what's going on at a particular time (ie launch or recovery or respot or pulling into port or even for a staged photo op, etc.). Take a look at images and pick one that suits your fancy.

web_020421-N-8794V-001.jpg

020421-N-8794V-001 At sea with USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) Apr. 19, 2002 -- USS Abraham Lincoln prepares for flight operations in the Gulf of Alaska as part of the joint training exercise, “Northern Edge” 2002. Approximately 7, 500 active duty service personnel will train at military installations, ranges, and the port of Valdez during the multi-service exercise. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Kittie VandenBosch. (RELEASED)

web_020801-N-8794V-029.jpg

020801-N-8794V-029 Pearl Harbor, Hawaii (Aug. 1, 2002) -- Sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) man the rails during arrival honors, as the ship and air wing prepare for a short port visit. Abraham Lincoln and Carrier Air Wing One Four (CVW-14) began a regularly scheduled deployment in July and will be conducting missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Kittie VandenBosch. (RELEASED)

web_020911-N-3241S-004.jpg

020911-N-3241S-004 At sea aboard USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) Sep. 11, 2002 -- In response to the President's message, "Be Ready," USS Abraham Lincoln Sailors spell out "READY NOW" as the Lincoln Battle Group reports on station to conduct combat missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Lincoln and her embarked Carrier Air Wing Fourteen (CVW 14) are currently deployed and will join the Washington Battle Group, which is scheduled to return to it’s homeport of Norfolk, Va., in the near future. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 2nd Class Virginia K. Schaefer. (RELEASED)

web_021101-N-4309A-003.jpg

021101-N-4309A-003 At sea aboard USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) Nov. 1, 2002 -- Lightning strikes on the horizon light up the bow of the aircraft carrier during a storm in the Arabian Sea. Lincoln and Carrier Air Wing Fourteen (CVW-14) are on a regularly scheduled six-month deployment conducting combat missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Southern Watch. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer’s Mate 2nd Class Aaron Ansarov. (RELEASED)

web_021128-N-8794V-015.jpg

021128-N-8794V-015 Central Command area of responsibility (Nov. 28, 2002) -- An aerial ‘bow shot’ of USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) during her regularly scheduled deployment conducting combat operations in support of Operation Southern Watch. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Third Class Kittie VandenBosch. (RELEASED)

web_030124-N-8794V-006.jpg

030124-N-8794V-006 At sea with USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) Jan. 24, 2002 -- An MH-60 “Knight Hawk” assigned to the “Providers” of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Five (HC-5), assists with an underway replenishment (UNREP) with the Military Sealift Command (MSC) combat stores ship USNS San Jose (T-AFS 7). Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) and Carrier Air Wing Fourteen (CVW-14) are currently conducting flight operations and carrier qualifications in the Seventh Fleet area of responsibility (AOR). The Lincoln battle group has been extended on her current deployment, pending possible military action in Iraq. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Kittie VandenBosch. (RELEASED)

web_030216-N-9403F-002.jpg

030216-N-9403F-002 At sea aboard USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) Feb. 16, 2003 -- An F/A-18C “Hornet” is launched from one of four steam catapults on the ship’s flight deck. Lincoln and Carrier Air Wing Fourteen (CVW-14) are conducting operations in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Airman Jason Frost. (RELEASED)

Status
Not open for further replies.