• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ah ok. I think the yellow ones would be the most beneficial. Does anyone have dual visors or did I just see those in magazines?
I'm not very familiar with the ejection seats since a C-172 doesn't really have those haha. Without getting into too much detail what is a MDC and what does lead do with it?

Kevin

The new style helmets that we fly with don't have dual visor capability unfortunately. Tree top is right, it normally is not an issue, but on a couple occasions it has been for me.

MDC = Mild Detonating Cord. It is the squiggly looking grey wire looking stuff you can see on the top of the canopy of T-45's, Hawks, and Harriers. I'm not an expert on it, but it basically destroys the canopy prior to the seats going up through during ejection. The outside of it has a coating of lead which melts the canopy around the cable, and in past ejections, it has injured folks who haven't been properly covered (arms and face) as the stuff comes raining down on them in their seat. I have heard that it was properly designed for the Harrier, and then retrofitted into the Hawk and T-45, where it is essentially way overpowered which causes this problem. I won't get into details of past mishaps, but it has caused serious injuries to several folks who have had to punch out. Good reason to wear your O2 mask with the visor down whenever the seat is armed, and to keep your sleeves rolled down and gloves on.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The yellow visors are for laser eye protection and are very expensive. We only fly with those on flights that we are going to be using our laser designator.

The helo helmet is designed with elastic straps that allow two visors to be used at the same time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The yellow visors are for laser eye protection and are very expensive. We only fly with those on flights that we are going to be using our laser designator.

The helo helmet is designed with elastic straps that allow two visors to be used at the same time.

Not all yellow visors are for laser protection.

Brett

pilot811

Fly High!
The new style helmets that we fly with don't have dual visor capability unfortunately. Tree top is right, it normally is not an issue, but on a couple occasions it has been for me.

MDC = Mild Detonating Cord. It is the squiggly looking grey wire looking stuff you can see on the top of the canopy of T-45's, Hawks, and Harriers. I'm not an expert on it, but it basically destroys the canopy prior to the seats going up through during ejection. The outside of it has a coating of lead which melts the canopy around the cable, and in past ejections, it has injured folks who haven't been properly covered (arms and face) as the stuff comes raining down on them in their seat. I have heard that it was properly designed for the Harrier, and then retrofitted into the Hawk and T-45, where it is essentially way overpowered which causes this problem. I won't get into details of past mishaps, but it has caused serious injuries to several folks who have had to punch out. Good reason to wear your O2 mask with the visor down whenever the seat is armed, and to keep your sleeves rolled down and gloves on.
Ok, cool! I always wondered what the lines on the cockpit canopy were for. Thanks for the info MIDNJAC.
As for the yellow visor, how does it protect your eyes when using the laser detonator? All it looks like to me is a clear visor that has a yellow tint to it.

Kevin

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not all yellow visors are for laser protection.

Brett

Exactly. There are LEP visors and then there are the yellow visors which are kind of like blue blockers for your helmet.

I was in the PR shop once when a pilot was asking for a new clear visor. The PRs said they didn't have anymore clear visors, so they tried to her a LEP visor. I had to ask the PR how is it that we didn't have money for new clear visors but have money to give out thousand dollar plus visors that stop working as advertised with the slightest scratch. He took the visor back.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
As for the yellow visor, how does it protect your eyes when using the laser detonator? All it looks like to me is a clear visor that has a yellow tint to it.

Kevin

If I was using a laser detonator I would use a yellow visor. They both sound pretty badass

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Ok, cool! I always wondered what the lines on the cockpit canopy were for. Thanks for the info MIDNJAC.

Kevin

You avoid being blown up by not being near the detonator when it goes off.....

But, as for the laser, the specific yellow tint is designed to filter out the non-eye safe wavelength part of the laser designators that we use. That's why scratches on those lenses are so bad, because it can potentially allow the laser to penetrate through the visor and ultimately injure or blind the eye.

pilot811

Fly High!
You avoid being blown up by not being near the detonator when it goes off.....

But, as for the laser, the specific yellow tint is designed to filter out the non-eye safe wavelength part of the laser designators that we use. That's why scratches on those lenses are so bad, because it can potentially allow the laser to penetrate through the visor and ultimately injure or blind the eye.

Being away from the blast is probably the best idea. But, that makes sense now. Thanks bikerboy.

Kevin

Ghstrdrvt

Don't tase me bro.
pilot
If I was using a laser detonator I would use a yellow visor. They both sound pretty badass

Laser DESIGNATOR... LGB's track on a spot from a high-powered laser, originating either from an aircraft or a ground unit. If the laser energy were to reflect back into the cockpit (for instance, off a windshield or flat metal surface) it could blind a pilot. There are visors specifically for use when lasing, but they cost thousands of dollars and are ruined with 1 scratch, so most squadrons use laser-safe glasses which only cost a few hundred under a regular visor. The yellow visors that you see are usually used at night, because they don't reflect the glare from digital displays as much as clear visors. Helmets used in jets are not generally set up for multiple visors because on extended missions, pilots carry NVG's and just swap out the tinted visor for them when it gets dark.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Laser DESIGNATOR... LGB's track on a spot from a high-powered laser, originating either from an aircraft or a ground unit. If the laser energy were to reflect back into the cockpit (for instance, off a windshield or flat metal surface) it could blind a pilot. There are visors specifically for use when lasing, but they cost thousands of dollars and are ruined with 1 scratch, so most squadrons use laser-safe glasses which only cost a few hundred under a regular visor. The yellow visors that you see are usually used at night, because they don't reflect the glare from digital displays as much as clear visors. Helmets used in jets are not generally set up for multiple visors because on extended missions, pilots carry NVG's and just swap out the tinted visor for them when it gets dark.

I was poking some fun at pilot811 for saying laser detonator, but the intertron sometimes hides my sarcasm

A

AlexSmart

What mission capabilities/advantages do the F Super Hornet have over the E Super Hornet? What would be a situation where having a NFO in the backseat be an advantage over just a pilot? In other words, what is the justification for having a single seat and two seat Super Hornet? Just curious...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
What mission capabilities/advantages do the F Super Hornet have over the E Super Hornet? What would be a situation where having a NFO in the backseat be an advantage over just a pilot? In other words, what is the justification for having a single seat and two seat Super Hornet? Just curious...

There are countless threads on this exact topic. Obviously, FAC-A is one of them in the Foxtrot (forward air controller airborne). However, like I said covered ad naseum.

EDIT: This should get you started...

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134772&highlight=F+model+hornet

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146939&highlight=F+model+hornet

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132683&highlight=F+model+hornet

A

AlexSmart

thanks, I was just curious. I looked around for some threads, but I'll take another look.

Status
Not open for further replies.