• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coota0

None
It's called a TCL (Thrust Control Lever). Forward and aft movement controls proprotor pitch and maintains constant RPM in forward flight (airplane mode). In VTOL (helicopter) mode it is essentially your collective pitch control. A thumbwheel on the TCL controls the angle of the nacelles.

thanks

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is Morse code taught at any stage during flight training? One reason I wonder, is because of (then) Cmdr. Jeremiah Denton; as a North Vietnamese POW he blinked "TORTURE" in Morse code, during a 1965 TV interview.
Morse code was taught in Jeremiah Denton's day. Some years later it was still being taught in Basic (VT-1), when I went through...but all quickly forgotten after taking and passing the Morse Code test. About the only guys who remembered it were into amateur radio.

We used to "tune and identify" navaids, but were mostly just happy to hear some dits and dahs, having no idea what it spelled. :)
[Of course we could and sometimes did look at the _ _ _ and . . . printed on the chart or approach plate, but usually didn't.]

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In FO instrument training we're taught to tune, identify, and monitor the station. Some of the sim instructors were anal in that they made you turn up the volume of the nav frequency so you could hear the beeps the entire time so you were "sure" you were listening to the right one. Really just an annoyance in terms of listening for their comms and hearing the beeps. I can understand the application of it like exhelodriver pointed out, but other than that it's annoying. I did hear somewhere though that instead of the morse code they're going to switch to a voice for the letters, so you'd hear November Papa Alpha being repeated over and over at Pensacola, for example.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It is probably worth it to check the dots and dashes with the chart. You don't have to know Morse Code to do that. It's just one more safeguard to make sure you didn't punch in the freq of the wrong NAVAID. If they go to voice, it'll be that much easier, though for some stations it'll take an equipment upgrade.

The "monitor" part is an Air Force thing, too--I had USAF students who insisted on keeping the NAVAID turned up. Whatever floats your boat, as long as I can select it off on my audio panel. I think that's a holdover from analog instruments, which now remains part of the harassment package. Digital stuff will let you know when the signal's too weak to be reliable--the needle will disappear.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Was always taught to "Tune & Identify"...USN and UAL...(monitoring not necessary).

Was easy...learned Morse as a "tweet". ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Has anyone here had hypoxia in a real situation outside of training? I want to know if masks ever have malfunctions or maybe it happened just on accident?

Yes. Masks (or the source) malfunction. Sometimes hypoxia happens by accident.

exhelodrvr

pilot
On a somewhat related topic, when in a relatively low hover over the water (40 feet is what we typically were at in the H-3 when using the sonar) you can sometimes pick up tacan stations at ranges significantly farther away then you can higher up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
On a somewhat related topic, when in a relatively low hover over the water (40 feet is what we typically were at in the H-3 when using the sonar) you can sometimes pick up tacan stations at ranges significantly farther away then you can higher up.

I know guys who were landing in Bahrain who could talk to the ship via datalink (SHF) significantly beyond the range of the system due to ducting. Those 'trons are crazy things.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was always taught to "Tune & Identify"...USN and UAL...(monitoring not necessary).
Of course there was always that one sim instructor who, after your tuning & identifying and as soon as you stopped monitoring, he would fail you ADF and you would never know it. :(

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Of course there was always that one sim instructor who, after your tuning & identifying and as soon as you stopped monitoring, he would fail you ADF and you would never know it. :(
And THUS ... was born one of the rationales for the Second Officer ... the GIB ... i.e., the 3rd man in a 3 man airline cockpit crew ...

Part of the approach brief and part of the S/O's duties was to listen to/monitor the IDENT while the guys in the window seats shot the ADF approach ... :)

*edit* ... oh, yeah -- and the Second Officer is ALSO very important for another reason: someone has to run up & down the ladder and get coffee for the guys w/ the window seats. :D

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

Huh. . .my FTI says ADF ident will be monitored continuously when shooting the approach.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Morse code was taught in Jeremiah Denton's day. Some years later it was still being taught in Basic (VT-1), when I went through...but all quickly forgotten after taking and passing the Morse Code test. About the only guys who remembered it were into amateur radio.

We used to "tune and identify" navaids, but were mostly just happy to hear some dits and dahs, having no idea what it spelled. :)
[Of course we could and sometimes did look at the _ _ _ and . . . printed on the chart or approach plate, but usually didn't.]

I have seen most instructors here not even bother to turn the radio receive on for the NAVAIDS in the local area (even up into LA) because they fly there all the time and can tell if the needle is correct based on their experience.... fine. I guess you could argue that.

But I personally believe in identifying ALL navaids, particularly if it's a flight you haven't done on a routine basis. It is VERY easy to listen to dits and dats and assume it's right, but what if you tuned the localizer for a parallel runway? Often times multiple frequencies are listed on a chart, for example parallel localizers. So you assume it's right because you heard what you wanted to hear as correct, but now you're setting up for an approach into a mishap.

Huh. . .my FTI says ADF ident will be monitored continuously when shooting the approach.

That was catmando's point. If you didn't monitor the ADF for the duration of the approach, the IP would fail it and you'd never know. That's why for ADF approaches, specifically, you must monitor it the whole time since there's no other apparent failure indication.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...you must monitor (ADF) the whole time since there's no other apparent failure indication.
Well, there is one other 'indication' ... it would be when you crash & burn.

Crashing & burning: as always, the great equalizer.

The ultimate check-ride.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
But I personally believe in identifying ALL navaids, particularly if it's a flight you haven't done on a routine basis. It is VERY easy to listen to dits and dats and assume it's right, but what if you tuned the localizer for a parallel runway?

If you tuned the localizer or any other freq for the wrong runway, etc., listening to dits and dats are the least of your worries. Just sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.