• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the info bigiron. So VOD means moving stuff from one ship to another such as mail. Am I correct?

Kevin

Don't confuse VERTREP with VOD. CODs (C-2) and VOD bring things to the ships from ashore (usually to the biggest deck). Other assets move the mail, people and logistics from ship to ship.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Is Morse code taught at any stage during flight training? One reason I wonder, is because of (then) Cmdr. Jeremiah Denton; as a North Vietnamese POW he blinked "TORTURE" in Morse code, during a 1965 TV interview.

And there's also that Morse code F-14 scene in Executive Decision... :eek:

Coota0

None
Got a stupid question: In the V-22 do you have a collective and a standard fixed wing throttle or some sort of hybrid?

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Got a stupid question: In the V-22 do you have a collective and a standard fixed wing throttle or some sort of hybrid?

It's called a TCL (Thrust Control Lever). Forward and aft movement controls proprotor pitch and maintains constant RPM in forward flight (airplane mode). In VTOL (helicopter) mode it is essentially your collective pitch control. A thumbwheel on the TCL controls the angle of the nacelles.

MidWestEwo

None
You don't; it's squadron-specific, with the 3710 requirement that it's at least 80% covered in reflective tape. Custom painted helmets went by the wayside around 1986, along with polos under your flight suit and oversized Ray-Ban Aviators.

And once again, please G-d, quit saying 'fighter pilot'. Makes you sound like a high school kid. Naval Aviator is the preferred nomenclature, dude, please.

:( So should I return my Ray Ban aviators?

Stupid question:

Do SEAL teams have specific pilots, or just anyone who is on the roster to fly that day?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stupid question:

Do SEAL teams have specific pilots, or just anyone who is on the roster to fly that day?

Huh? Are you asking about SPECWAR support? Like helos?

Pilots aren't assigned to the Teams (except maybe FACs every now and again). Requests for support are worked out between the Team and squadron, CVW or type wing, depending on where, what and when. Squadron assigns who's flying, on the regular schedule, just like every other day.

MidWestEwo

None
Huh? Are you asking about SPECWAR support? Like helos?

Pilots aren't assigned to the Teams (except maybe FACs every now and again). Requests for support are worked out between the Team and squadron, CVW or type wing, depending on where, what and when. Squadron assigns who's flying, on the regular schedule, just like every other day.

Yeah like taking them to the DZ and back again. That answers my question though. Now for another question. Has anyone here had hypoxia in a real situation outside of training? I want to know if masks ever have malfunctions or maybe it happened just on accident?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TACANs still do, AFAIK. I remember it was the drill in the VTs during first-stage AIRNAVs to dial up a new TACAN and select the navaid switch on the ICS panel so you could hear the beeps. Just kind of a "See how that works? Groovy, turn it off and let's go."

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
VORs do as well. I still don't get why they make us ID them if we don't know morse code. For all I know I could have intercepted someone's telegraph.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Morse identifier can be found on charts and approach plates, in the same box with the rest of the TACAN info.

Lookie:

ATL_ILS_Runway8L.png

exhelodrvr

pilot
VORs do as well. I still don't get why they make us ID them if we don't know morse code. For all I know I could have intercepted someone's telegraph.

You're listening on a particular frequency, so it would be unlikely to be someone else.

It's worth it to take the time to identify the station. There was one time that I was going to a destroyer in the same task group as the carrier (I think we were taking a chaplain to them; sticks in my mind that it was Sunday morning and no one else was flying). We had the approximate position of the ship when we launched, but the tacan range and bearing we were getting was significantly different (not uncommon that the ships aren't where you are told they will be). I checked the identifier (one of the HACs I flew with a lot when I was a nugget always insisted on that), and it was for a different ship. They were both using the same tacan channel. Verified the position of our destination ship, and when we got a little closer we were able to pick up it's signal instead of the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.