• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Boats I've been on had a cardio room (treadmills, bikes) and a free-weight room, with a few Nautilus machines scattered around.
Yeah ... we just kinda' skipped the 'cardio rooms' and went straight to the roof in the ol' days ... *cough* .... *choke* ... :)

dsc01906b.jpg

image by A4sForever

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank god. Lord knows the nautilus equipment in base gyms is only used by wives, gfs and retirees. You'd think on a warship it would be mostly freeweights.

How do the weight rooms vary on different types of ships? (small boys, amphibs, USNS, carrier)

+1

The Portside gym at Pcola was pretty good in terms of having a good number of free weights (not to mention the crossfit class), while the new Radford one was all the obnoxious machines. The gym here at Jax is even worse. I went for the first time last week and there was not even any room where I could do deadlifts or something. Tiny ass gym too. Apparently there are 20K people on this base, so why wouldn't they invest in something bigger/not just a crap ton of treadmills in a row.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
+1

The Portside gym at Pcola was pretty good in terms of having a good number of free weights (not to mention the crossfit class), while the new Radford one was all the obnoxious machines. The gym here at Jax is even worse. I went for the first time last week and there was not even any room where I could do deadlifts or something. Tiny ass gym too. Apparently there are 20K people on this base, so why wouldn't they invest in something bigger/not just a crap ton of treadmills in a row.

Where is this other gym you speak of? (Not the Radford)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blow Da Tubes!

Yeah ... we just kinda' skipped the 'cardio rooms' and went straight to the roof in the ol' days ... *cough* .... *choke* ... :)

dsc01906b.jpg

image by A4sForever

A4s, your photo reminded me that all the ol' "oil burners" are now history (razor blades, seafood reefs, museums etc.).:(
Only us'n dinosaurs will have known the joy rolling into the groove, picken' up the ball only to have the snipes "BLOW THE TUBES". Talk about IN YOUR FACE! Not only blinded you in close, but breathing that s*%t felt like your lungs being eaten alive.:icon_rage
I'm convinced that the CHENG had a spy on the fantail with a sound powered phone sending "scooter in the groove, blow 'em now!".:eek:

Ah the memories... BzB

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Same building as the movie theater - 2 buildings behind the NEX food court on mainside.

Portside was pretty good. A little full most of the time, but it was good. I'm a little put off by the trend of the fruity gyms. I like having a clean, bright facility with all the bells and whistles, but why the lack of free weights? I noticed this starting years ago. There was a nice polished up gym with few free weights at Futenma and there was McCutcheon gym with all free weights up the street. Is McCutcheon still there?

I thought the NASC gym was good. I just wish I would have known about it longer than 6 weeks before I left. With mando physical muster for A-pool that place should be crawling with people in the mornings, but it's not; just API'ers playing volleyball.

And the NASWF gym is nice. Thanks Ivan.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
+1

YMCA isn't exactly Golds but they will give you a free military membership. Mine doesn't have all the equipment that my old Powerhouse did but it gets the job done.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm, I'd have to call the one here in Jax about that. A cursory look at their website doesn't show any mil discounts or whatnot, but if that was the case I'd probably be up for it. If not, I'm probably going to get a membership to the crossfit place across the street from base.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And the NASWF gym is nice. Thanks Ivan.
<- spent days after the storm picking up every dang shingle and felled tree branch on board NASWF. Got devoured by ants in doing so. Slept in a Q with no power for something like a week for all the above, with all my earthly possessions in plastic bags. Gym, schmimm. I'm not thanking Ivan for squat. :icon_tong

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
<- spent days after the storm picking up every dang shingle and felled tree branch on board NASWF. Got devoured by ants in doing so. Slept in a Q with no power for something like a week for all the above, with all my earthly possessions in plastic bags. Gym, schmimm. I'm not thanking Ivan for squat. :icon_tong

Bitch, bitch, bitch. Remember it could always be worse. You could have been at OCS, sleeping 30 dudes to one room, no AC, and helping cleanup during the day in addition to the SOP of getting killed 8 times a day. I heard some stories which sounded a little less pleasant than your experience. :icon_wink

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Hmm, I'd have to call the one here in Jax about that. A cursory look at their website doesn't show any mil discounts or whatnot, but if that was the case I'd probably be up for it. If not, I'm probably going to get a membership to the crossfit place across the street from base.

No discount for mil at the Fleming Island Y for monthly dues but they do waive the join fee.

MarineT

Different Rotor Communities

This is more of a request than a question but if any of you belong to the Rotary Community could you give a couple of lines on what you think of your own specific community and how you may perceive the others?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.