• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
you suck your lead's wingtip & hope the goo isn't thick & that he will turn his form & nav lights on for you if it is...SF

Our division leader loved to take us through those SE Asian summertime Cb's in "tight parade", when we had the spare time & fuel...broke up the flight only twice or so...#1 maintains heading, #2 eases to the left a bit, #3 to the right a bit & #4 (me) a bit more...always popped out the far side in only a few seconds, visually rejoined...

Never encountered a stratus/precip event (less turbulence, of course) any fleet aviator couldn't routinely handle, though...;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yes. Boats I've been on had a cardio room (treadmills, bikes) and a free-weight room, with a few Nautilus machines scattered around.

Thank god. Lord knows the nautilus equipment in base gyms is only used by wives, gfs and retirees. You'd think on a warship it would be mostly freeweights.

How do the weight rooms vary on different types of ships? (small boys, amphibs, USNS, carrier)

phrogpilot73

Thank god. Lord knows the nautilus equipment in base gyms is only used by wives, gfs and retirees. You'd think on a warship it would be mostly freeweights.

How do the weight rooms vary on different types of ships? (small boys, amphibs, USNS, carrier)
I'd think the opposite. After all, ships have this funky pitch & roll thing that base gyms don't.

On the big deck gator, it was mostly machines with some free weights.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
There's nothing worse than benching a very hefty pair of DBs while the ship is pitching and rolling. A heavy flat press can turn into an 'oh my god I am going to drop this on my face' incline press in about a second and a half.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
We had a space just outside our 93 man enlisted berthing area that had a bench and a cruise box full of weights. Our policy was always lift with no fewer than 2 spotters. They were there in case of pitching and rolling. I personally almost had 250 pound set land on my chest once, luckily my spotters caught it in time.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'd think the opposite. After all, ships have this funky pitch & roll thing that base gyms don't.

On the big deck gator, it was mostly machines with some free weights.

This is quite an obvious point that I overlooked, however, is this a big factor even on the bigger amphibs and carriers?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
you suck your lead's wingtip & hope the goo isnt thick & that he will turn his form & nav lights on for you if it is...

SF

Helos can tune up the A/A TACAN when they fly form at night/on goggles. It doesn't give you bearing, but it gives you DME. Does the Hornet have/use something similar?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Helos can tune up the A/A TACAN when they fly form at night/on goggles. It doesn't give you bearing, but it gives you DME. Does the Hornet have/use something similar?

I imagine all TACAN tranceivers can use the A/A mode, all tacair guys can. The pointy-nosed guys can also go radar trail.

Brett

Raptor2216

Heck, even the clown jet can do it. That doesn't mean its always reliable though....but nice to have when it does work.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is quite an obvious point that I overlooked, however, is this a big factor even on the bigger amphibs and carriers?

Big deck gators have the best ship gyms I've seen, followed by USNS. I was surprised at how terrible the gym was on the one carrier I've been on.

Big ships still pitch and roll. I prefer to have the treadmills oriented fore and aft, vice athwartships.

Sailtexas20

I had my 1/c flight physical not too long ago and they gave me my measurements(Shoulder to thumb tip, buttock to knee...). Does anyone know where I can see what pipeline i will qualify for. I am 69 inches tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.